Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Synaptic going away in 11.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Synaptic going away in 11.10?

Is this a really bad and horribly belated April fools joke? (emphasis on joke)

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/synaptic...ntu-11-10.html
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Synaptic going away in 11.10?

kinda stupid if you ask me. But nevertheless all it takes to get it on your computer is a simple "sudo apt-get install synaptic"

Beans

Even if not the default it will still be in the repos. I do not see much of a downside of having it not the default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hate the Software center... its slow, and it hangs every time I try to use it. Plus trying to install a DEB used to be easy, you clicked on it and Gdebi handled the work, now it loads the software center and asks me dumb questions about trusting the source.

Synaptic is fast and pretty user friendly if you ask me.

I'm tired of buggy software being used in Ubuntu.

Beans

I installed the Alpha 1 the other day, Synaptic was there by default.

The .iso was a bigger than what you can fit on a CD (had to use USB), but this is normal for an Alpha. Some software would be removed, but currently Synaptic is part of Alpha 1.

Beans

I'm tired of buggy software being used in Ubuntu.
    Likewise.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Synaptic isn't going anywhere, it just won't be installed by default, as was proposed when the Software Center was first released. Old news is old news.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Synaptic isn't going anywhere, it just won't be installed by default, as was proposed when the Software Center was first released. Old news is old news.
    But Software Center was supposed to be awesome, and it has not lived up to the task. Its buggy, intrusive, and is replacing applications that were simple and fluid. And I hate installing great applications I have used for years that now suddenly are not included... Cough... Pidgin...cough

Beans
    Distro

The devs are trying to shave MB's wherever possible to keep the image under 700mb. I don't blame them. Casual users will be satisfied with the software center, and more advanced users will apt-get synaptic. In ubuntu's case, it's no big deal.

If Canonical makes a DVD the norm, they will lose some users who don't have dvd burners, or have limited bandwidth.
    Last edited by wolfen69; June 24th, 2011 at 05:21 AM. Reason: go away!!!!!

Beans

Personally, I much prefer Synaptic to the software center, but they have a lot to fit on a 700 MB CD, so no point in having two GUI package managers, easy enough to install Synaptic after the fact And yeah Software Center is obviously better for newbies, so i can't say I disagree with this decision, it's fine with me.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast