Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Browsing the Internet Anonymously

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Browsing the Internet Anonymously

So with Anonymous & Lulzsec proving that virtually no-one is safe online, I've been making it my mission to erase all personal information about me from the internet, and generally make my presence online felt as little as possible.
    In terms of browsing anonymously, what are the things to do?
    + I've turned off geolocation on Firefox
    + I have NoScript, AdBlock & Flashblock
    + I use Scroogle as my default search engine

I'm assuming the only other thing I can do is use Tor all the time? (Which is a pain, because it's slow as hell)

Are there any other things I can do?
    'And all we ever were, just zeros and ones'

Beans

Re: Browsing the Internet Anonymously

Are people after you for any particular reason?
    Site:http://timszaboblog.com - Linux / Web Development / Ecommerce

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by timZZ View Post
    LOL, no. I just don't like the idea of people being able to find out who I am, what I like & where I live just because I want to browse a few websites.

(does that sound cryptic and dodgy? I didn't mean it to. By websites, I meant Youtube & whatnot )
    Last edited by Throne777; June 24th, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
    'And all we ever were, just zeros and ones'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's a Tor plugin for Firefox.

Beans

It's funny because, everything you already have on the internet, will likely be there forever.

While your taking the right steps to be proactive, it's very hard to be really, definitively anonymous. So your real goal, should be obfuscating yourself to the point that theres not enough dots to connect to get you.

Aliases and diligence can get you a long way. To get that last extra mile, you should probably switch your user agent, and you can use a proxy if your willing to put up with that. (Plus everything your already doing)

Honestly, if someone dedicates enough resources, they'll find you, trying to convince yourself otherwise is foolish.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quick FYI lulsec is anon or at least the major players are the same (observation goes a long way), back to other news , you can use throwaway emails for signing up to stuff , turn off services you dont use or need (every running service is another point of attack), you can browse from live cds / internet cafes , run a tor node (helps obfuscate traffic from you network), use prepaid credit cards online , use mixed handles , configure your router firewall to allow traffic from services you only use and block the rest without sending acknowledgements , also read your distros security notes.

Also I'd be more worried about the "governments" than anon / lulsec (personal opinion).

Also ***do not use the same password for everything***
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't completely understand why people use tor. Those who really want to hide what they visit are likely fooling themselves. But those who visit nothing they wouldn't want to admit, stand out like a sore thumb and invite unwarranted suspicion.

Whoever they're hiding from may not see what's being visited (unless they actually start looking into it) but they'll know that tor traffic is going on.

User's IP may be stored in the logs of an entry node and when that one is seized next time, the IP will be amidst an "interesting" collection of other IPs.

Beans

There is some good info in this thread on the subject, one in particular by tjwoosta, shows how to gain a great deal of privacy when surfing:

http://spiralinear.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=243

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by timZZ View Post
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
    Ghostery is a nice anonymity plugin. But really, go Tor if you want to be much more anonymous. I seriously doubt lulzsec or anon or whoever is going to be going after individuals though. Besides releasing account information which isn't a problem if you're just passively browsing anonymously which is what you seem to want to do.
    But if you're trying to "undo" posted information, to use a few quotes "Once it's on the internet it's about as hard to remove as crazy glue from the *** of a rhino" or if you like "Trying to remove your information from the internet is like trying to take pee out of a swimming pool".
    Last edited by Dustin2128; June 24th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

This link contains a bundle pre-set up to allow the maximum amount of anonymity possible. That way you don't have to set up the well-known-to-be-difficult Tor on your own firefox installation. They have a IM messager package too, if you want that anonymous as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast