Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu doesn't boot up, stuck at logo with blinking process bar

Beans

ubuntu doesn't boot up, stuck at logo with blinking process bar

Dear friends,
    I am a novice to ubuntu. I was just curious to learn more about it. I have currently installed the ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhal edition through the wubi installer alongside windows 7. I wanted to just check out what the kde environment had to offer differently from the default desktop environment which is gnome unity environment.

I installed the kde environment using some sudo command given by google. After using kde environment for a few hours, I just began to feel, I liked the default gnome environment better (in classic mode) as compared to kde as I was more used to the former.

So I uninstalled kde with another sudo command which I got by googling. At the final step of the uninstallation, I admit I am not sure whether what I did was right or wrong. There was sth related to 'daemon' that popped up eventually and I chose yes for that and kde was uninstalled successfully or atleast that's what I thought.

But to my horror, when i tried rebooting my laptop to ubuntu gnome, the blue coloured kubuntu logo was popping once again and I had to go back to the synaptic package manager and delete sth called the 'plymouth' package to remove the kubuntu logo.

Now after doing all these, when I tried booting ubuntu, I was not able to get to the gnome login screen. The screen was just stuck with the ubuntu logo and the process bar blinking and gnome never started.

When I pressed the Esc key to check out what was happening from behind, I could see that some processes were being checked and there was a [ok] after everything and there was a [FAIL] next to "starting CPU interrupts balancing daemon". And the terminal screen ended with "stopping system V run level compatibility". I am not sure if this might be the root cause of blocking the boot-up. But I couldn't get a screenshot of those intermittent terminal screens as I was not in a position to type in any commands such as fbgrab which can be used to grab a screenshot of the terminal screen.

Eventually after intense googling, I figured how to manually configure gnome to start up. I pressed the Cnt + Alt +F1 as soon as the white ubuntu logo popped up and after logging in into my ubuntu account through the terminal interface, I typed in the following things.
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    and then voila I got the gnome login screen. I temporarily heaved a sigh of relief. (by the way I saw something flash quickly on the terminal moments before it went to the gnome login screen like "you need not init this way or sth"..I just couldn't catch sight of it properly as it flashed only for a few moments)

But I am not satisfied. Obviously there might be a way to set this problem right isn't it? Kindly someone pls throw some light on this issue. I want gdm to be automatically activated during boot. Its a big pain to manually configure it everytime I boot. Is it possible to do a windows restore to set the ubuntu right? But I saw in some forums mention that something called the boot.ini will botch up if we perform a system restore in win 7.

Someone pls help me by telling me a method that does not involve uninstalling ubuntu and reinstalling it. This is because I have done a lot of tweaks, optimisations and installed lot of apps in it. I do not have a system image backup as well. So it will be a nightmare to do all these things over and over again. The mistake or rather the drawback from my side is I just have my laptop alone and do not have another standalone desktop to experiment with linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ubuntu doesn't boot up, stuck at logo with blinking process bar

here is how its done

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

and if its still not right, try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

this should be safe, but you are running without backup, so use at your own risk. goodluck

Beans

Hi mate!
    Thanks for the reply. And that's a strange coincidence because I used the same exact site that you had mentioned to uninstall my kde some 2 days ago.

So I found myself in this situation after following that sudo command that's given there. So is there any other viable solution buddy?

By the way, I have been manually activating gdm each time the laptop is stuck at the ubuntu logo screen. What I do is I press Cnt +Alt +F1 to enter the terminal mode (tty1), log in and then key in sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm followed by sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    and voila the gnome boots up.

But this is a bit painful each time I boot. I wish there was a good viable solution to this buddy. Any suggestions to come out of this?

Beans
    Hidden!

do you have the same in your default-display-manager?

AM.png

Beans

Hi Jerrys!
    Thanks for pointing that out. I checked up my /etc/X11/default-display-manager file. To my horror, the file was blank. Nothing is there.

So I tried typing out /usr/sbin/gdm as per your screenshot. But it was not allowing me type anything on the file. So I tried copy pasting that from my notepad to that file. But that also didn't work. Then I looked up to find that it was a read-only file.

Is there a way to edit that file? How do I remove the read only feature of that file to edit it? By the way, just for your info, I am logged in with administrator privileges. So hope that helps you.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

in terminal gksudo nautilus

then you should be able to edit. be careful what you do while in sudo, you can bork your system with a hasty move

and you need to change to read/write

Beans

Hi Jerrys,
    Before I saw your reply I did this. Tell me if I am correct. I am scared to reboot my computer until I am dead sure of what I am doing. I got this by googling. Since the default manager file is read only, it appears that we need to use sudo command to edit that file. So this is what I did.

1) I opened the terminal and typed
    sudo vi /etc/X11/default-display-manager

It asked for my password and i keyed it and it sent me into the vi editor
    to edit the file.

2) I keyed these mentioned below into the file and saved and quit vi editor.
    # FILE : /etc/X11/default-display-manager
    /usr/sbin/gdm

Is this alright buddy? It wouldn't botch up the boot up or destroy the
    ubuntu would it? I hope so..KIndly guide me. Just a bit scared of these things. Thats why.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

that is actually the preferred method among most.

Beans

Yippeeeee!!!! So you say what I have done is correct then? Can I go ahead and try rebooting my laptop now? I need the green signal from you.

Beans
    Hidden!

you are cleared for launch

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast