Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unity Test on the public

Beans

Re: Unity Test on the public

Quote Originally Posted by CraigPaleo View Post

I don't think Gnome shell and Unity were meant to be very configurable, which is great for supporting them but not so good for those of us who want things just so.
    Let me be more specific. "I hope the Gnome and Unity teams realize that they are currently making a horrible design decision, may in fact be mentally insane, and really should give their users what they want."

I have no illusions about the chances of this happening of course.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post

Either way, this doesn't need to be another 'I hate Unity' thread.
    Of course not, I'm pretty sure the Unity devs know that by this point.

That was quite possibly some of the most powerful backlash I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Thewhistlingwind; June 23rd, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Thewhistlingwind View Post
    Let me be more specific. "I hope the Gnome and Unity teams realize that they are currently making a horrible design decision, may in fact be mentally insane, and really should give their users what they want."

I think that long term, it will probably be a very good desktop. While it's 'yet another' system, at least this one has a big backer and might actually get somewhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Thewhistlingwind View Post

I agree. New users may be familiar with Android or iOS but would they want it on their personal computers?
    If I wanted vertical space, I would have bought a square monitor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I think that long term, it will probably be a very good desktop. While it's 'yet another' system, at least this one has a big backer and might actually get somewhere.
    Which is why it should listen to its customers.

I don't hate Unity. I just think it's a bad design decision.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperSteve View Post
    Good read. Canonical or whoever the big bosses over Ubuntu happen to be should see this. Or at least do this kind of research on their own, if they haven't already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    They have.
    Yes, they have, but in a ostrich-like manner.
    I explain with one concrete example: In the april report, there is written:
    Multi-tasking: Having many items opened and accessing them

October report: “Thus, while working on a task, participants expected that Unity would provide them with a representation or visibility of what was available to them and how to easily access what they needed at any given point.”
    April testing: No problems were observed with overlapping open applications and documents. Participants could easily move individual windows and reveal items placed underneath.
    Outcome: This is fixed.
    So I simply ask: What had changed in Unity from October2010 to April2011 to explain this? As far as I can see (I also tried Unity in the netbook edition..):
    Nothing changed in the design of Unity related on this, only the question was asked in another way in order to better cover the actual problems:
    "No problems were observed with overlapping open applications and documents. Participants could easily move individual windows and reveal items placed underneath."
    uh-huuu, moving windows isn't a goal that high to achieve, is it?

But of course, reducing the Multi-task question to moving windows and so avoids covering problems like that in the October report again:
    Multitasking – Multitasking on Unity is disconnected and difficult at times

Task flow is interrupted: While working on a task, participants wanted to have all the documents and websites they were using easily available to them. For them, the task was the unit of organisation of all resources and tools. Thus, while working on a task, participants expected that Unity would provide them with a representation or visibility of what was available to them and how to easily access what they needed at any given point. Unity does not, however, make evident the resources and tools users have at their disposal — whether it be multiple documents, programmes or websites. In a word, while Unity relies on users to keep track of the resources they are currently using, users are habituated to relying on the software to “keep track for them,” by making the resources highly visible, for example, by means of tabs. With Unity, resources are hidden from view.

Overall, participants found the navigation between documents to be cumbersome.
    (...)
    And that goes on for several interesting paragraphs, read it if you want to.

Seriously, that is a bad scientific approach, that's hiding the head in the sand in ostrich-like manner. That doesn't lead to make anything better, and having the impression Canonical deals problems that way makes me sad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My mom is a windows user. She would always use windows at home and uses it daily at work. At first she was confused when I showed her Unity but 2 months later, she starts the OS up on her own and knows how to navigate the system without having to call me.

Heck, I know someone here said they were first confused by a Mac. I was too. The majority of the computers in my college uses them and I was lost when first using it. I quickly ran to find the nearest Windows OS in order to get some work done.

Also, enough of the UNITY crying already. Im sure the developers hear loud and clear people's displeasure of the OS. No need for another thread where someone once again points out how Unity is more of a miss to people.
    Last edited by tjeremiah; June 23rd, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I don't think almost anyone would claim that Unity is in a final, stable form right now, which is what the "thousand papercuts" process refers to, the hard work of getting the details working.
    That process was a hundred papercuts, "thousand" is an ironic reference to how far off it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Really? Thousand is far more poetic, and I could have sworn that was the original, I.e. not in reference to software. Apparently "1000 papercuts" is another thing entirely.

CraigPaleo, you are arguing that people who don't change the default wallpaper on their Windows machines will want to move the Unity panels. Explain.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post

CraigPaleo, you are arguing that people who don't change the default wallpaper on their Windows machines will want to move the Unity panels. Explain.
    No. I was just trying to say that people who are set in their ways aren't likely to spend a lot of time trying out an unfamiliar OS unless they have a reason to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by CraigPaleo View Post
    No. I was just trying to say that people who are set in their ways aren't likely to spend a lot of time trying out an unfamiliar OS unless they have a reason to.
    It took me no more than 5 minutes to figure out how Unity works.
    And if they are trying Unity, it is because they have time to spare.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123