Thread: Lubuntu 11.04

Beans

Lubuntu 11.04

I'm not sure how many lubuntu users there are here, but hopefully someone can give me some info.

I just updated from 10.04(I think it was 10.04, it was the release just before 10.10) to 11.04 last night. And 11.04 definitely isn't as light as it was on 10.04, and I'm hoping someone can some shine light as why.

On 10.04, from a start up with no apps running, it would use around 30-40MB of RAM. Now on 11.04, after start up with no apps running, Lubuntu is using 100MB of RAM. That's a huge increase.

So does anyone happen to know why this is, and what I can do to bring them RAM usage back down?

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Lubuntu 11.04

Maybe post in Installation and Upgrades or ask to be moved.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

good question!

see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1582027

I stick with 10.04.2 or peppermint One
    Nonsense is an assertion of man's spiritual freedom in spite of all the oppressions of circumstance-- Aldous Huxley
    The real power of Linux lies in the command line

Beans

Thanks for the tip, jtarin. I'll asked for it to be moved.

And sidzen, before switching to Lubuntu I tried out almost every single so-called "light" distro available, and Lubuntu was lightest of them all. Including Peppermint and a few others. But like I said, that was back on 10.04.

I'm not sure if Lubuntu is going to take the Xbuntu route, or if there's something installed on the system that's taking a lot of RAM. I know when I was reading previews of 11.04, what site was talking about Lubuntu's new theme and how it's definitely going to eat more RAM. But all this new theme looks like is a different wallpaper and a better looking bar. So I'm not sure how this change could eat up so more.

Well, the system is still incredibly fast, it's just I hate that's it's eating so much more RAM now. Considering I only have 512mb, I need all that I can get. Looks like it may be time to revisit all those light distros I took a look at earlier and see which ones take less RAM than 11.04. I think remember Mint XFCE being the next lightest compared to Lubuntu 10.04.