Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What's another distro worth trying?

Beans

Re: What's another distro worth trying?

I know that I'm not going to be installing Gnewsense or those others listed with it. The only way I had Internet connection was when running in a VB. Neither a Live CD or Thumb drive would see the Internet. What gives with that? If you can't even get to the Internet with it then what good does it do you? At least Debian and others I've tried I can hook up to the Internet and give them a whirl. So, I'll put those in a category to stay away from.
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia boy View Post
    I know that I'm not going to be installing Gnewsense or those others listed with it. The only way I had Internet connection was when running in a VB. Neither a Live CD or Thumb drive would see the Internet. What gives with that? If you can't even get to the Internet with it then what good does it do you? At least Debian and others I've tried I can hook up to the Internet and give them a whirl. So, I'll put those in a category to stay away from.
    Yes I had a problem with a few also, tried a couple of times and that was it, if that happens when checking one out it gets added to the useless list. If one works then there is no reason why any other distro should give you a problem.
    The true value of a human being
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.
    - Albert Einstein Ideas and Opinions

Beans
    Distro

My reasoning behind the multiple Distro route is to experience the way different distros handle package management, and investigate a question which came up. The following thread is in relation to this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1807616&page=3

post #60
    Re: Common Home Partition for Multiple Distros
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO
    It would also simplify things if when you downloaded a package you could download it to a directory like in windows ProgramFiles and each distro could have access to it without having to re-download each time in each seperate distro, there must be a way to standardize it somehow and I am surprised that Linux being around as long as it has some wizard hasn't worked that problem out yet. Why I have to download thunar or dolphin or knapshot each time I install a distro strikes me as odd at time consuming, if it were stored on my hard drive then any distro should have the option of doing a search for an existing package and linking up, just like update-grub does a search for installed kernels and adds them to grub.cfg.
    Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Yes, that would simplify things, but in reality, it doesn't work like that. Different distros have in their repos different versions of apps like Thunar, Dolphin, and KSnapshot. The config files won't be the same. As far as I know, running an app from one distro inside another distro doesn't happen. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that, though.

I am still green with regards to some of this so anyone feel free to correct my errors. Constructive criticism is welcomed.

So debian uses apt with it's gui front end synaptic, Puppy uses Porthole which is portage related, I think. Red Hat uses yum, Arch pacman and I am shure there may be others.

In relation to the quote by malspa, I have found upon searching just recently that there is a way to use a package from another distro, using Alien.

see
    http://www.faqforge.com/linux/how-to...to-debian-deb/

So the more packages being installed upfront, reduces the the search factor and download factor.

So the more packages you have in one place will make it a little easier to experiment with things.

And if your experimentation fails there are others already installed and quickly bootable, and little wait time compared to using a LiveCD. I also have the LiveCD's and USB thumb drives with them and other helpers, so what I am trying to achieve is a multifaceted Linux environment to accomplish most anything I may find interesting, ie.. kernel compiling, single home partition multiple distros, software design, script writing, GUI design, etc..

I may find as I learn more and become more experienced with things that this was not the best route to take or something else for that matter. The key is I will be learning in the process and that is what I enjoy even if it means correcting my mistakes and errors, that too is part of learning.

I could simply use one and one only, and Vista would become a foggy memory, and just enjoy and use Ubuntu solely but my nature dictates my path, investigate and learn.
    is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self.

Beans

Forgive me for not reading all of this thread please?

I don't think that I have already posted.

Anyway, if you can't find better give Fuduntu a go?

It is easy to install & fully featured; a distro that is very much concerned with energy efficiency (which means a great deal to me). There is obviously more to it than that.

Personal choice is the poison when it comes to asking others for their advice.
    Last edited by handy; July 26th, 2011 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    I have no idea what that is, do you mean unetbootin?
    Quote Originally Posted by JASONFUSARO View Post
    No I am installing it right now, when I get it installed I will relay the name, it is not Unetbootin though.
    Finally got to installing it.

It is BeLDi, first time I seen this in an distro package manager

Here is the link to their website:

https://belug.de/~beldi/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JASONFUSARO; July 26th, 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add screenshots

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213