Most of the localised groups that have formed have been ad hoc for specific events. Examples of what I would refer to as these local groups are the release parties, groups who get together for conferences (these do not necessarily live locally but are all at the same place for other events) and can even encompass people meeting online who may not be localised in the geographical sense but for the purposes of their gathering (Ubuntu Global Jams, meetings, etc) they are localised to a country as far as the World Wide Web goes.

That's not to say groups can't come together for recurring events under the UbuntuAU banner either, in fact I've been trying to encourage users to think about holding Ubuntu Hours in their local areas to increase visibility and interaction.

For the record, I prefer the way it's written current as "to enable localised Ubuntu user groups to distribute....." as it doesn't specify that groups have to be formed before events can be organised but doesn't rule it out either.