Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission Statement discussion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Mission Statement discussion

While we are thinking about the Ubuntu-au mission statement, I thought I would post this thread and get a discussion going on the forum.

Looking at other LoCo around the world, to try and get some insight into how they operate I came across the Canadian Team and the New York State team.

So take a look at their wiki pages, I'm sure we can take bits and pieces from other LoCo and create our own. Discuss what you like and what you don't like.

Beans

Re: Mission Statement discussion

Both sites, Canadian Team and New York Team, sum matters up very nicely.

Bravo NY - "The team is a decentralized team that empowers local groups to hold events. We provide a common hub to share ideas, resources and experiences."

Their mission statements and the statement of objectives are a credit to them. Copy (with permission) and paste.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kyphi View Post
    Both sites, Canadian Team and New York Team, sum matters up very nicely.

Bravo NY - "The team is a decentralized team that empowers local groups to hold events. We provide a common hub to share ideas, resources and experiences."

Their mission statements and the statement of objectives are a credit to them. Copy (with permission) and paste.
    Nice find, that's basically exactly what we are. We're too big to be an all inclusive lets do everything for everyone kind of group. We're more able to provide ideas and support to smaller groups, be they local geographic or special interest/project focussed that have specific events or projects to run.

We provide the over arching support and infrastructure (website, mailing list, forums, governance, etc) so these smaller groups can just get on and do the job rather than worry about getting bogged down in the basics.

Beans

Nice find, that's basically exactly what we are. We're too big to be an all inclusive lets do everything for everyone kind of group. We're more able to provide ideas and support to smaller groups, be they local geographic or special interest/project focussed that have specific events or projects to run.

We provide the over arching support and infrastructure (website, mailing list, forums, governance, etc) so these smaller groups can just get on and do the job rather than worry about getting bogged down in the basics.
    I agree with the sentiments expressed, however I disagree that that is what we are.

Many times and by several members the proposal has been made to form localised groups only to have these proposals dismissed with the claims that -
    1. there were insufficient members
    2. fears of creating a bureaucracy

Yet that is exactly, in my opinion, what we need to do (without a bureaucracy).

Apropos the Mission Statement, the above comments, although very important, are off-topic.
    Furthermore, it disturbs me that material presented for discussion is here as well as at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/MissionStatement

Could we agree to have it in one place or the other, please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with the sentiments expressed, however I disagree that that is what we are.

Many times and by several members the proposal has been made to form localised groups only to have these proposals dismissed with the claims that -
    1. there were insufficient members
    2. fears of creating a bureaucracy

Yet that is exactly, in my opinion, what we need to do (without a bureaucracy).

Apropos the Mission Statement, the above comments, although very important, are off-topic.
    Furthermore, it disturbs me that material presented for discussion is here as well as at

Could we agree to have it in one place or the other, please.
    Well I disagree with your summary of the previous discussion on the mailing list, there was never a disagreement that we needed local groups from my recollection of the threads. I think everyone was for the idea. I believe the main disagreement was if they needed to be formal groups with added layers of bureaucracy or if they could be informal groups coming together under the Ubuntu-AU banner.

As for the discussion on the mission statement it would make sense to move it to the wiki link

as that seems to predate this thread. I look forward to seeing the ideas posted there, I have added my own discussion point.

Beans

Well I disagree with your summary of the previous discussion on the mailing list,
    How long ago was that? Was it this year, the year before or beyond?

I really think that it would be good idea to stop dwelling in the past and concentrate on the present.

As to the mention of local groups and your response, you need not look any further than what you yourself posted in "Australian LoCo team Re-Approval", post 16....and don't try to quibble about semantics. I am aware that I mentioned State Coordinators. Start a few groups and eventually you will have State coordinators. The only thing I am guilty of is being a visionary.

Nothing we say or do will change the past but if we work together to change the present it will affect the future.

How about it? I am game. Are you?

Beans

This is the only appropriate place to discuss the mission statement and I present the following:

The Australian Ubuntu Local Community Team is a group of Ubuntu users united by a commitment to the philosophy of Ubuntu and FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).

We therefore advocate freedom from proprietary constraints, being empowered to make choices according to our computing requirements and to promote Ubuntu as a step towards achieving this.

The team is a decentralised team that empowers local groups to distribute, advertise and demonstrate Ubuntu throughout Australia. We provide a common hub to share ideas, resources and experiences.
    Comments please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It doesn't really matter what medium, whether it be the wiki, this forum or the mailing list where these ideas get discussed. The point is that there needs to be a discussion with as many people participating as possible. As long as the final outcome is documented somewhere appropriately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The Australian Ubuntu Local Community Team is a group of Ubuntu users united by a commitment to the philosophy of Ubuntu and FOSS (Free and Open Source Software).

We therefore advocate freedom from proprietary constraints, being empowered to make choices according to our computing requirements and to promote Ubuntu as a step towards achieving this.

The team is a decentralised team that empowers local groups to distribute, advertise and demonstrate Ubuntu throughout Australia. We provide a common hub to share ideas, resources and experiences.
    Adding to this, I would like to throw some more ideas.

"We achieve the above objectives, by providing the online community the tools and resources.

We support Australian Ubuntu users and participate in the wider Ubuntu software project.

Though online activity and by encouraging the creation of local groups we provide user support.

We also participate in the wider Ubuntu software project.

We encourage users to participate in supporting the wider Ubuntu software project thought bug jams etc.

We encourage the creation of local user groups or the utilisation of LUGS.

We support the following
    1. Ubuntu the software project through Bug-jams etc.
    2. Building an online community to provide user support.
    3. Encouraging and supporting local groups of users."

As you can see, I have variations saying the same thing, I couldn't decided on any particular one (or subset), so pick and choose or improve on. (just throwing ideas out there)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Mission Statement discussion

Further to the mission statement discussion I see that it has evolved to V3.

I agree with the preceding text of the statement

However
    'Ubuntu-Au provides a common hub to share ideas, resources and experiences to enable localised Ubuntu user groups to distribute, advertise, promote and demonstrate Ubuntu throughout Australia.'

Which 'localised Ubuntu user groups' ??
    Does Ubuntu-au want to encourage 'affiliated' groups to Form or Join ubuntu-au? as it is a decentralised team.

Revision
    'Ubuntu-Au provides a common hub to share ideas, resources and experiences. It encourages the formation (or affiliation) of localised Ubuntu user groups to enable the distribution, advertising, promotion and demonstration of Ubuntu throughout Australia.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast