Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The, I like other operating systems thread (no bashing)

Beans

The, I like other operating systems thread (no bashing)

I see so many threads bashing this, that and the other. I have used Windows, Mac and Linux but for home purposes i use Linux, specifically Ubuntu. ALL operating systems have their good and bad points. I use Linux operating systems by choice but we all come across problems, otherwise these forums wouldn't exist. It is about preference at the end of the day and we use what we like.

I see so many bashing threads, so how about this, we talk about what we love about other operating system, not just Windows and Mac by the way. I see people on there standing up for other operating systems and it should be that way. We shouldn't be so precious about OUR operating system because if you look at trends, every operating system is picking up on other operating systems and what is best for the user end. That is what it's all about. So tell us what you love about other operating systems and what you would love to see happen in open source operating systems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: The, I like other operating systems thread (no bashing)

I actually find this imposing of Windows and Macs in every other thread kinda lame. If this was a Ford forum, I'd expect users to think Ford is the best car around, and wouldn't expect Chevrolet owners to come with those "but it has more hosepower" arguments all the time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    I actually find this imposing of Windows and Macs in every other thread kinda lame. If this was a Ford forum, I'd expect users to think Ford is the best car around, and wouldn't expect Chevrolet owners to come with those "but it has more hosepower" arguments all the time.
    On the other hand, the outright denial of any factual criticism of Ubuntu is also annoying.

And the fact that when anyone suggests that perhaps Ubuntu is not the best option they get flamed is bad as well.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post
    On the other hand, the outright denial of any factual criticism of Ubuntu is also annoying.

And the fact that when anyone suggests that perhaps Ubuntu is not the best option they get flamed is bad as well.
    That's true.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unknownPoster View Post

That's my point and this is the community cafe. I think constructive criticism is a very good thing and i feel dismissing alternatives just because they're not what you prefer is a very unhealthy attitude, especially if you haven't tried them lately. Questioning things is also about questioning what you like so why shouldn't i ask the question?

Beans

I'm grateful to Ubuntu & the Ubuntu forum community. It made my crossover from the Windows world, (in which I had been very much entrenched in my repair business) so much quicker & easier in so many ways.

It helped me to learn about other distros & to some extent BSD, & got me on my feet so I could distro hop until I found Arch, after which I gradually slowed down on the hopping to the point that it is now extremely rare that I look at another distro/system.

Though I'm about to burn the Haiku R1 Alpha 3, image & check it out with a great deal of anticipation.

On my main machine I dual boot OSX. I don't like OSX, but it does some things for me that I still can't do, or can't easily do in Linux i.e. Simple & easy web page creation via the software called Sandvox & easy reliable maintenance (mainly just the occasional backup these days) of my iPod Touch.

Windows I'm not interested in, I did my time for others & have been well over 5 years retired & away from it. That said, I will probably have to install XP on an old PIII that I have, so that I can run slot car race management software. That will be that machines only job, it won't connect to the web or the LAN, so it has a chance of being reliable & not wasting my time.

Time will tell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like linux, windows 7, and osx. They all have their strengths.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

The OS is only as good as the user.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Well how about the notion that currently I like other linuxes more then ubuntu, like mint or openSUSE?
    Sure both linux based and one is even ubuntu based but Mint and Ubuntu are like night and day anymore.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I enjoy Ubuntu.

I use Ubuntu for work. I also use windows , back track (which may as well be Ubuntu), FreeBSD , and OSX as well as dozens of others while at work. I find they all have a purpose and if realized can all provide a unique perspective into the world of technology.

However for home personal use I will likely always prefer Linux of some type. Right now that is Ubuntu next week who knows. The one thing Ubuntu really has going for it over other distros is the community. So regardless of what I currently have on /dev/sda I will always enjoy that aspect of Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast