Thread: Too much heat Dell Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Too much heat Dell Laptop

Hi all. I have been experiencing this problem in my laptop ever since I installed Ubuntu linux. I find that my laptop gets too much heated up when i use Ubuntu rather than the recommended OS viz., Windows 7. All the external areas including the plastic back, the touchpad and even some of the keys get very hot which makes it tough to use for long hours. I would like to know what could be the possible reason for this scenario? I use it in Air conditioned room under normal temperature (atleast most of the time).
    I didn't install any external driver except for the wifi driver. And I use power management option that's set default.

Specifications of my laptop
    ===========================

Dell Inspiron 15R
    Core i3 370 series processor
    4GB RAM
    Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit
    Have given a swap space of only 1GB since I thought 4 GB is sufficient enough.

PS. My apologies if this has been asked before several times.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Too much heat Dell Laptop

One more general query regarding the forum. How could we see our personal posts/ threads? I tried searching for the link in User CP, but I'm unable to find it. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by najdorfchess View Post
    One more general query regarding the forum. How could we see our personal posts/ threads? I tried searching for the link in User CP, but I'm unable to find it. Thanks
    First install lm-sensors to check your temp. To find your threads just click search, than find your threads.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you for ur reply, how could i do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Start Synaptic package manager. Under filters enter lm-sensors. If not installed right click it and mark to install, press apply. From the command line enter:

sensors -f press enter
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay I just did that. Here is my reading

acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +146.3°F (crit = +188.6°F)

Even though it hasn't reached a critical state I still believe this is a high temperature. Any suggestions to bring it down? Also I can hear my fan in full swing.. So that shouldn't be an issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi sorry for replying for in such an old and Solved thread.
    I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and my laptop started heating too much. Then I found this link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12429.../126513#126513

After installing latest graphics drivers system temperature improved considerably. Fan is running slow, laptop is not heating up much. I'll suggest everyone with ATI graphic card to follow the steps and install latest driver provided by ATI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.