Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone know a good DJ orientated music player?

Beans

Thumbs down anyone know a good DJ orientated music player?

looking for a dj orientated music player with cross fade etc

Beans

Re: anyone know a good DJ orientated music player?

Mixxx
    Although it maybe overkill for just a player (it's designed for live DJ'ing)
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done

Beans

tryed it and there is a bit much in the way for efficient use as a player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Virtual DJ is incredible if you like to manipulate the sounds. Also has a great webcam function so you can control the tables with your hands virtually. Good price, but the demo is free and fully functionable.
    Hope that helps
    If you are a dJ, I am also, be nice to meet someone else in my line of work here.
    Namaste.

Beans

I was looking for something that runs nativly in linux but thanks for your help

Beans

Quick google for "linux music player crossfade" shows that crossfading is available in

- Audacious
    - xmms
    - Goggles music manager
    - Amarok
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done

Beans

seeing as iv already done this iv already seen those, thanks anyway but i was hoping for opinions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Your requirements remain a mistery to me unless you clarify what a "DJ orientated music player" for you means.

To me Mixx is a pretty cool free option with support for USB mix decks / scratch devices and so on. Really a tool for DJing. If you are looking for simply a player which automatically crossfade then the one mentioned by amauk might help.

Under Linux I have never seen a tool similar to Virtual DJ (automatic crossfade with BPM adaption) although Mixx is a good replacement.
    Xubuntu 12.04 x64 // AMD E-350 (2x1.6 GHz) // 8 GB DDR3 RAM // GeForce 9500GT (1GB) with passive cooling

Beans

id like to find either something with intelligent cross fade (not just at 15sec star fading) or something like mixx with a simpler quicker interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Reduced_Oxygen View Post
    id like to find either something with intelligent cross fade (not just at 15sec star fading) or something like mixx with a simpler quicker interface
    Well, to my limited knowledge this translates to something similar as the mentioned Virtual DJ (which is "unfortunately" Windows-only).

You have to check out the various results at WINEs appDB if you are willing too:http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=1704

All I can add to this:
    I did a lot of mixing with "real hardware" like 2 CD players, 2 turntables plus a cheap quad-channel mixer when I was around 20with a friend fo mine. Mixx sounds like a good alternative to this when you have lots of MP3s and are willing to shell out a few bucks on USB hardware for scratching. In general I found Virtual DJ a great replacement under Windows. Under Linux I am afraid there is currently no option. Although you could try out Virtual DJ inside a KVM virtual machine with Windows.

OK, here my short update:
    Virtual DJ Pro v4.2 R1 works perfectly under WINE and Ubuntu 10.04 x64.
    Last edited by HolgerB; June 23rd, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Xubuntu 12.04 x64 // AMD E-350 (2x1.6 GHz) // 8 GB DDR3 RAM // GeForce 9500GT (1GB) with passive cooling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast