Thread: Karmic expired; need to upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Karmic expired; need to upgrade

Well, Karmic expired about two months ago, and I never updated. It seems like now is the time, since I will also be installing a backup HD (never had one before), so a fresh install will prevent me from having to do any configuration with the new HD.

However, I have a dilemma. It should be easy to just use 11.04, since it is the new release, but because of the interface change, I don't know how good it will be. This will be my work computer, so I can't have stability problems. What is the general consensus regarding the new interface? Should I wait for another version until all the kinks are smoothed out?

The other option is to use the 10.04 LTS, which would actually be supported longer, and would be another natural upgrade from 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Karmic expired; need to upgrade

The general disconsent is that some like Unity and others don't, for some it works really well and for others it does not, some think it the future and others a shameful disgrace. Good luck looking for a consensus here.

I think that instead of relying on biased comments and opinions, you can do yourself a favor and actually test. The two obvious candidates are 11.04 and 10.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would say that the best choice is Xubuntu 11.04. Not because it is light, but because it is solid and looks good.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    The general disconsent is that some like Unity and others don't, for some it works really well and for others it does not, some think it the future and others a shameful disgrace. Good luck looking for a consensus here.

I think that instead of relying on biased comments and opinions, you can do yourself a favor and actually test. The two obvious candidates are 11.04 and 10.04.
    Hmm, I downloaded 11.04 to try it on my computer. I was surprised, as I booted directly into regular gnone. Apparently I can't run Unity, but that doesn't make sense. I have a core2duo processor and a NVIDIA 8600gt, so I don't see the problem.

Here is the output:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

Not software rendered: no
    Not blacklisted: yes
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: no
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: yes
    GL fragment program: yes
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity supported: no

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You won't get unity with that setup until you have installed to hard disk and added the proprietary nvidia driver, which I don't think you can do with the live CD running.

However, in spite of all this I would suggest that 10.04, which is now very much the most stable version for some time, is the best for you and your work computer.

Personally I don't like what I have seen of unity, but I don't have a computer which will run it other than my netbook, and that is just too good running the blazingly fast Lubuntu 11.04, so that is not going to use unity.

Beans
    Hidden!

Personally, I am staying with 10.04 until Unity matures.

I have tried 11.04 on both hardware installs and virtual machine installs. I don't like the Unity interface, it doesn't work well with my old-fashioned way of using my computer; therefore, it's just my opinion and preferences. That type of interface may work well on a smart phone; however, I don't find it friendly on a laptop or desktop computer with a lot of screen space. On the hardware installs it was slower, a lot slower, and on the virtual machine installs it crashed to often.

For a work computer I would go with 10.04.

I may decide to upgrade when 12.04 is released; but, not until I test it first.

As you can see from my signature below, I use whatever OS works for me. I have Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Fedora, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and so on, installed on various computers. I'm not loyal to any OS or Distro. If I don't like something and I can not modify it so that I do like it; then, I find something else.

I could modify 11.04 to use a different user interface that I like; however, that doesn't solve the problems I have had with performance and stability.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; June 18th, 2011 at 11:17 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm, at this point, it looks like I'll be be better served by 10.04. (seeing as I can't even try unity) Thanks alot for your input, everyone.

There is one thing I want to ask before proceeding. How should I backup my current files before wiping out for a fresh install. I've never done it before.

Additionally, what utility should I use to do automatic backups in Ubuntu?
    I know that I have time machine for OSX, but is there something as intuitive for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

up