Thread: Packages damaged,software center broken,cannot install,remove!help!using ubuntu11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Packages damaged,software center broken,cannot install,remove!help!using ubuntu11.04

I cannot remember what I done but it seems some stuff has completly removed my ability to install remove. I had to go into recovery mode and do broken packages, as it would get no further than the splash screen. I have tried all types of ways on how to repair the stuff that is still broken. The command prompt is useless, ubuntu software center says that I need to repair the software catalog but it cannot do so, updates useless, synthetic is not helping. I can use Internet but the window manager is also messed up, and I can do no right click on the desktop.

Please help!

I will say that it is not completely urgent as sorted worst out, at least able to access it now.
    But still would like something ASAP please.

Jason

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Packages damaged,software center broken,cannot install,remove!help!using ubuntu11

Quote Originally Posted by Jwarn View Post
    The command prompt is useless
    I doubt that. The prompt is your friend!

Please post the commands you have tried including the error messages.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Packages damaged,software center broken,cannot install,remove!help!using ubuntu11

open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get update

and see what happens next