Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dualboot install windows7 ubuntu11.04 alternate install cd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: dualboot install windows7 ubuntu11.04 alternate install cd

I have a HP laptop which I tried to dual boot with Windows 7. Unfortunately HP uses four primary partitions, so I was unable to install Ubuntu alongside Windows.
    If I had some decent 64 bit disk management software I could of probably got it work, but I don't.

So on this laptop I said heck with it and got rid of Windows altogether.
    This is the first time Ive owned a computer that I didn't at least dual boot with Windows and I don't miss it.

Im running Lucid and really like it.
    I was going to install Pinguy but it is still a little rough around the edges so I settled on the very solid Lucid.
    Ubuntu and Linux in general have come a long way since I started using linux.

Ubuntu 11.04 was working good as well, but I think I prefer gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@ Brianbiswirk: Yes it will. I have Xfce and Gnome on here, and when I log in I can choose which to run. Run

Code:
    sud apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    This will install the Xfce DE, and the necessary Xfce packages (like thunar file manager). I really like Xfce, I find it a lot more customisable than Gnome, and more intuitive, but that's just me. They say Xfce is lighter too, but I haven't noticed any performance increase (I think because it is Xfce on Uuntu with Gnome, as opposed to a minimal Ubuntu install with Xfce overtop).

To install KDE as well, use

Code:
    sud apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    But be warned, this will download all the Kubuntu applications (like Konsole, Abiword, etc.) and these will appear in your menus as well as the Gnome apps whichever DE you are in. Some find this a convenience, but I personally didn't like it. Also, the format of the kubuntu-desktop package (it's an empty package that just points to the required packages such as Konsole etc) means that if you want to remove KDE, you must manually remove all of the Kubuntu apps, rather than running apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop.
    Last edited by nzjethro; June 20th, 2011 at 02:08 AM.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zero244 View Post
    I have a HP laptop which I tried to dual boot with Windows 7. Unfortunately HP uses four primary partitions, so I was unable to install Ubuntu alongside Windows.
    If I had some decent 64 bit disk management software I could of probably got it work, but I don't.

So on this laptop I said heck with it and got rid of Windows altogether.
    This is the first time Ive owned a computer that I didn't at least dual boot with Windows and I don't miss it.

Im running Lucid and really like it.
    I was going to install Pinguy but it is still a little rough around the edges so I settled on the very solid Lucid.
    Ubuntu and Linux in general have come a long way since I started using linux.

Ubuntu 11.04 was working good as well, but I think I prefer gnome.
    Thanx for the input. I to gave xp the other boot for FC5 upgraded to FC7, then on to ubuntu, unfortunately I can"t get my cdrom drive to work any more, bad connection on the MB, on that computer or I'd still be using it.I some how managed to lose my fstab file while trying to make more room. Lesson learned. But in the destruction came the laptop I have now, a $5.00 box of parts from the flea market, Acer aspire 5534 Athlon 64 x2, 4gb ram, ati radeon 3200 250 gb hd. I had to fix the AC plug, and it has cracked screen otherwise its been great. Anyways hows Lucid? I've never heard of pin guy. oh well thanx for the input.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nzjethro View Post
    @ Brianbiswirk: Yes it will. I have Xfce and Gnome on here, and when I log in I can choose which to run. Run

Code:
    sud apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    This will install the Xfce DE, and the necessary Xfce packages (like thunar file manager). I really like Xfce, I find it a lot more customisable than Gnome, and more intuitive, but that's just me. They say Xfce is lighter too, but I haven't noticed any performance increase (I think because it is Xfce on Uuntu with Gnome, as opposed to a minimal Ubuntu install with Xfce overtop).

To install KDE as well, use

Code:
    sud apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    But be warned, this will download all the Kubuntu applications (like Konsole, Abiword, etc.) and these will appear in your menus as well as the Gnome apps whichever DE you are in. Some find this a convenience, but I personally didn't like it. Also, the format of the kubuntu-desktop package (it's an empty package that just points to the required packages such as Konsole etc) means that if you want to remove KDE, you must manually remove all of the Kubuntu apps, rather than running apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop.
    Yeah, I'm still debating on that. I wish I could have done that before the ubuntu install, I guess I'm a little impataint when it comes to important things, Ha! but I think I will try it tomorrow. Thanx for the lines!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12