Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Proliant MicroServer N36L

Beans

Question HP Proliant MicroServer N36L

Hi to all,
    in a couple of weeks i will be buying the HP microserver and
    the OS i will be installing is the Ubuntu Server version.
    Does anybody has anything that would like to point out at me ?
    I mean to say will i have any "issues" with non compatible
    piece of hardware ?

Best regards and
    thank you all in advance.

Beans

Re: HP Proliant MicroServer N36L

I have one running here with Ubuntu 11.04 server, console graphics only.
    Wake-On-Lan works, consumes about 0.5 watt waiting. With one disk it reduces its power consumption to about 28W after some time, drive idle but still spinning. The proprietary graphics driver didn't change the power consumption for me. Yust in case you read some articles about it. Booting from an USB stick works. Suspend doesn't work for me! RAM upgrade to 4GB was a bit tricky because you have to unplug several cables and get them into the small case again. It has an internal plug for an USB stick which holds my system. I dropped a 4GB file onto the NFS4 share and nautilus showed about 80MB/s transfer rate.

I would definitely buy it again.

Beans

Thank you so much for your prompt response, one thing i have not told you is that i am going to use it for home server and because i need the 250GB of hard disk i am also thinking to install the system in a USB thumb drive and connect it to the internal USB port.

Best regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinus View Post
    I have one running here with Ubuntu 11.04 server, console graphics only.
    Wake-On-Lan works, consumes about 0.5 watt waiting. With one disk it reduces its power consumption to about 28W after some time, drive idle but still spinning. The proprietary graphics driver didn't change the power consumption for me. Yust in case you read some articles about it. Booting from an USB stick works. Suspend doesn't work for me! RAM upgrade to 4GB was a bit tricky because you have to unplug several cables and get them into the small case again. It has an internal plug for an USB stick which holds my system. I dropped a 4GB file onto the NFS4 share and nautilus showed about 80MB/s transfer rate.

I would definitely buy it again.
    how did you get WOL to work, I've had no luck at all under Ubuntu, see here

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atca View Post
    how did you get WOL to work, I've had no luck at all under Ubuntu, see here
    I have working WOL on a HP Microserver bought yesterday. It wakes the server from switched off as well as hibernated state (yes, there is no suspend on this server )

Btw do you know any method to shorten the boot time? OS boot time is fine, I want to shorten the time the BIOS takes showing messages like "Press F10 to setup" and such

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Benoe View Post
    I have working WOL on a HP Microserver bought yesterday. It wakes the server from switched off as well as hibernated state (yes, there is no suspend on this server )

Btw do you know any method to shorten the boot time? OS boot time is fine, I want to shorten the time the BIOS takes showing messages like "Press F10 to setup" and such
    How?

Did you have to do anything?
    What kernel and version of Ubuntu are you running?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atca View Post
    How?

Did you have to do anything?
    What kernel and version of Ubuntu are you running?
    Nothing special, just what you also write on your page.

Beans

Odd I still have no luck

Beans

Hi "atca",
    i am an owner of an HP Microserver myself and i don't believe that there is any way to shorten the boot time of the hardware unless you de-activate some of the features of the BIOS. Hm.....i am still a bit of newbie myself with this server but i believe that if, for example, there is a way to "cut-off" the network boot etc. etc. the boot time will be shorter. When i am a bit of a senior with the server myself i will come back.

Best regards,
    Panos.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmamatsis View Post
    Hi "atca",
    i am an owner of an HP Microserver myself and i don't believe that there is any way to shorten the boot time of the hardware unless you de-activate some of the features of the BIOS. Hm.....i am still a bit of newbie myself with this server but i believe that if, for example, there is a way to "cut-off" the network boot etc. etc. the boot time will be shorter. When i am a bit of a senior with the server myself i will come back.

Best regards,
    Panos.
    Hi

It was me who wanted to find a shorter bot time, but it doesn't matter

I already removed network boot and raid setup delay, but there is still some time taken by "press F10" message, which I cannot remove.

Hopefully someone will modify this function in the bios as they did with sata mode for ODD and eSata (enabling AHCI for these ports)
    Or find a way to enable S3 suspend...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast