Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

I just got a ThinkPad X220T in the mail yesterday -- Lenovo's brand new convertible tablet offering. Since this is new hardware with some special characteristics, I thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread for experiences and ideas. Eventually, when this is more fleshed out, I'll write a tutorial.

This is my first new post to UF -- if this isn't the right place for this kind of thread, please let me know and I'll move it.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Some pretty reasonable progress so far on the basics. The NN Desktop amd64 iso worked well. Of course, the X220T does not have an optical drive, so I used unetbootin to put the ISO onto a USB thumbdrive. I had to use the F12 boot menu to select the USB device.

I used the basic installer to repartition the disk, shrinking my Windows 7 partition down to 50GB. After repartitioning, the first time you boot Windows, you'll need to run a filesystem check (which Windows will do automatically).

Other than that, the basic installation process proceeds normally and flawlessly. Wifi, network, sound all work out of the box. The pen works, although I think I need to do a little calibration. The finger touching "works" in the sense that the computer is getting the touch signals, but acts extremely weirdly. I'll be looking for a fix for this.

The screen rotation button on the panel does not work by default, although the screen rotation in the Display Settings widget works well enough. (I added the widget to the panel.) However, when the screen is rotated, the pen input seems to be rotated as well (and as I said the finger input is not right). I have hopes that these have already been resolved but haven't tried yet.

So basically, all the non-tablet features work fine; the pen works fine in landscape mode, and (out of the box) finger is "working" but goofy and in rotated mode both are unusable but should be fixable.

I'll report more as I continue to goof around with it.

Beans
    Distro

Oh yeah, You'll need to enable the virtualization extensions in the BIOS if you plan to use them in VM software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi unclepedro,

The finger touching "works" in the sense that the computer is getting the touch signals, but acts extremely weirdly. I'll be looking for a fix for this.
    That's because while the product ID 0xE6 is in the 2.6.38 kernel's wacom.ko and in xf86-input-wacom-0.10.11's wcmUSB.c it isn't in wcmValidateDevices.c so the driver doesn't realize it is dealing with a tablet PC with 2FGT. That is fixed on 0.11.1. See the Bamboo P&T HOW TO part II. b) to update xf86-input-wacom. That will also get you the cw and ccw rotation fix, so a twofer.
    The screen rotation button on the panel does not work by default, although the screen rotation in the Display Settings widget works well enough. (I added the widget to the panel.) However, when the screen is rotated, the pen input seems to be rotated as well (and as I said the finger input is not right). I have hopes that these have already been resolved but haven't tried yet.
    You might want to consider Magick Rotation: https://launchpad.net/magick-rotation

Beans
    Distro

Cool. When I searched for X220T in the forums I thought I saw a blurb about fixes helping the X220T but I didn't go further since it wasn't a specific "experience report" with the machine. I will check that stuff out tomorrow and report back.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

So, I followed the steps in II.b of the link posted above (compiling and installing xf86-input-wacom 0.11.1), and installing magick-rotate. (And installing CellWriter as suggested.) I also did an update/upgrade of all packages and rebooted.

Magick-rotate does indeed rotate magically (based on the hinge of course, the X220T does not have screen rotation accelerometers). Very cool.

Unfortunately, the pen/touch issues I was having before persist.

The pen works correctly in landscape mode, but is very confused when rotated, as is rotated touch. Touch in landscape is odd; I can move icons with a single finger, but when I try to move windows, the window "jumps" to the left side of the screen (sometimes resizing) when I let go. I assume this is related to the multitouch issues you mentioned before.

Do you know if this is something I can fix with the xsetwacom scripts (described in step III), or is this possibly some other problem? I'm happy to dig around for answers, but if you know off the top of your head it would be very helpful!

Beans
    Distro

Sounds like good progress.

I'm not aware of any issues once rotated in Natty anymore, once xf86-input-wacom is updated to fix the cw and ccw swap. The fix for Nvidia portrait rotation came through a week or longer ago. But you're the first X220t reporting I think. As the first usb Thinkpad tablet, instead of serial ISDV4 like the previous Thinkpad tablets, I guess you're a pioneer.

What outputs do you get with xinput list and xsetwacom list in a terminal?

What video chip set do you have? lspci | grep VGA

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Sounds like good progress.

I'm not aware of any issues once rotated in Natty anymore, once xf86-input-wacom is updated to fix the cw and ccw swap. The fix for Nvidia portrait rotation came through a week or longer ago. But you're the first X220t reporting I think. As the first usb Thinkpad tablet, instead of serial ISDV4 like the previous Thinkpad tablets, I guess you're a pioneer.
    Well, I/we'll get it figured out... I hadn't seen any documentation on this hardware, so that's exactly why I figured working through this on the forum would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    What outputs do you get with xinput list and xsetwacom list in a terminal?

What video chip set do you have? lspci | grep VGA
    xinput list:

Code:
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen                              	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Finger                           	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Integrated Camera                       	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=15	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    xsetwacom list returns nothing.

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    If you have any ideas, I'm all ears. I'm happy to do any testing or anything you think would be useful... or, if there are lists or projects I should get in touch with, or subscribe to, etc. I'm happy to do that, too.

Beans
    Distro

Alright since xsetwacom list is blank you're not on the Wacom drivers for whatever reason. You can confirm that by posting the output of:
    Code:
    xinput list-props "ISD-V4 Pen"
    First let's make sure the 2.6.38 kernel's wacom.ko (the usb kernel driver/module) is auto-loading. It doesn't on some systems:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep wacom
    The ThinkWiki site has been the go to site for Thinkpads on Linux. But maybe not quite as up to date as it was and your tablet isn't there yet I don't think: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Beans
    Distro

Here is the
    Code:
    xinput list-props "ISD-V4 Pen"
    output:

Code:
    Device 'ISD-V4 Pen':
    	Device Enabled (127):	1
    	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (129):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
    	Device Accel Profile (249):	0
    	Device Accel Constant Deceleration (250):	1.000000
    	Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (251):	1.000000
    	Device Accel Velocity Scaling (252):	10.000000
    	Evdev Axis Inversion (253):	0, 0
    	Evdev Axis Calibration (254):	<no items>
    	Evdev Axes Swap (255):	0
    	Axis Labels (256):	"Abs X" (245), "Abs Y" (246), "Abs Pressure" (247), "Abs Misc" (248)
    	Button Labels (257):	"Button Unknown" (244), "Button Unknown" (244), "Button Unknown" (244), "Button Wheel Up" (133), "Button Wheel Down" (134), "Button Horiz Wheel Left" (135), "Button Horiz Wheel Right" (136)
    	Evdev Middle Button Emulation (258):	0
    	Evdev Middle Button Timeout (259):	50
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation (260):	0
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Axes (261):	0, 0, 4, 5
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Inertia (262):	10
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Timeout (263):	200
    	Evdev Wheel Emulation Button (264):	4
    	Evdev Drag Lock Buttons (265):	0
    And the wacom.ko module is being loaded automatically:

Code:
    wacom                  42238  0
    I did not do anything to try to install wacom drivers or anything like that -- I literally just installed Natty. Since the pen/touch kind of worked, i didn't look any further into that.

And ThinkWiki doesn't have any matches for x220t -- I will probably post a recap there once I find success.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast