Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

The digitizer is on the evdev X driver.

Did I misunderstand?
    So, I followed the steps in II.b of the link posted above (compiling and installing xf86-input-wacom 0.11.1),
    I thought you installed an updated Wacom X driver (xf86-input-wacom 0.11.1) like I suggested in post #4. Did you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm sorry, you're absolutely right. I did recompile and install the xf86-input-wacom-0.11.1 as you suggested. What I meant was that I did not do any configuration or set up any other scripts, nor had I intentionally installed or configured any wacom drivers before I started posting.

When I read this:

Because xf86-input-wacom doesn't have wacomcpl (Wacom Control Panel) you'll have to set up a script of xsetwacom commands to run when the system starts, like wacomcpl's .xinitrc (see IV. below). ...
    I thought maybe I needed to set up some init scripts, but the fact that it was already partially working made me think that the configurations were already in place and the upgrade to .11.1 was all that was necessary.

If I need to look at section IV and play around with some init scripts I'd be happy to do that. Again, I don't expect you to solve this for me, but I appreciate your help thus far. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

Well right now the scripts aren't going to help us because it looks like something went wrong with your compile of xf86-input-wacom-0.11.1.

First check if there is a wacom.conf to match the digitizer to the Wacom X driver in xorg.conf.d. Check in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. That's part III. a).

You can see if it is attempting to load the wacom X module in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It should have the version number too.

If not why don't you repeat the compile. See if any errors pop up when you do ./configure --prefix=/usr, make, and sudo make install.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    First check if there is a wacom.conf to match the digitizer to the Wacom X driver in xorg.conf.d. Check in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. That's part III. a).
    There is:

Code:
    $ ls /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ -al
    total 32
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2011-06-20 07:44 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2011-04-25 16:01 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1099 2011-05-21 04:56 10-evdev.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  254 2011-04-16 08:01 11-evdev-quirks.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  171 2011-06-07 22:36 50-synaptics.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  115 2011-02-23 07:58 50-vmmouse.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  833 2011-06-20 07:44 50-wacom.conf
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  622 2011-06-07 22:36 51-synaptics-quirks.conf
    Note the current time on the 50-wacom.conf -- it was put in place by the install.

You can see if it is attempting to load the wacom X module in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. It should have the version number too.
    It does not seem to be loading. At least "wacom" does not appear in the log. See the attached Xorg.0.log, around line 368.

If not why don't you repeat the compile. See if any errors pop up when you do ./configure --prefix=/usr, make, and sudo make install.
    Attached is the build log; there are a number of warnings, but it seems to build properly.

I did not customize my X config at all -- so everything is being loaded based on the default Natty install. (In case that helps.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Yep, compile looks OK. Xorg.0.log doesn't have any sign of wacom, just the digitizer being set up by evdev.

Let's check the match in the wacom.conf. Please post the contents. I'll see if I can find if the X220t who set up in Arch a couple of weeks ago mentioned anything about needing a new identifier.

Edit: Oops, not serial it's usb. So no new identifier since it will use the usb snippet. Well, still should look at the wacom.conf.
    Last edited by Favux; June 20th, 2011 at 04:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Here's the 50-wacom.conf from the install. I didn't realize anyone had been successful before on other 'nixes -- I'll also look at the Arch post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Everything looks good except you don't seem to be getting a match. We probably need to look at udevadmin info at some point.

Anyway it looks like a keyword is "ISD-V4", and that appears to be a parent device for both the stylus and touch. Let's try adding that to the match in the wacom.conf usb snippet. So it becomes:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
    	Identifier "Wacom class"
    # WALTOP needs a patched kernel driver, that isn't in mainline lk yet,
    # so for now just let it fall through and be picked up by evdev instead.
    #	MatchProduct "Wacom|WALTOP|WACOM"
    	MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|ISD-V4|Hanwang"
    	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    	Driver "wacom"
    EndSection
    Then restart of course.

Beans
    Distro

Now we're cooking with gas!

Adding ISD-V4 to the MatchProduct directive did the trick. Both finger and pen work for basic input, like moving windows, clicking, etc. I can do at least some gestures, such as right clicking with "press-tap" -- although as this is my first touch device for Linux, I am sure I haven't tested the whole gamut, and I haven't tested things like the eraser. (Now that the hardware appears to be working, I will read the standard documentation and see what I need to do.)

magick-rotate works as I described before, and the input rotates with the screen properly. However, I am now noticing that something weird happens to the screen when I rotate it. I've attached screenshots, which (surprisingly) show the effect.

Roughly, part of the desktop is blacked out, although the title bar and dock appear normally. This is a display issue, and happens regardless of the wacom.conf settings or whether magick-rotate is running. I'm sure it was happening from the get-go but I just thought it was a resized black terminal window (especially since formerly, touching windows made them jump around and resize erratically).

Any hot ideas on what might be going on here? If not I will dig around more... as always, I appreciate your expert help. You seem to be the go-to person for Linux touch support -- thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Great!

That looks to be a problem with your:
    Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    chipset Xorg Intel video driver. You can enable proposed in software sources and see if there's an update available.

Another possiblity I suppose is if the Xorg driver needed to set up a xorg.conf in /etc. Then maybe you need an:
    Code:
    	Option		"RandRRotation"  "on"
    in the Video Device section. I don't know if that option is suppose to be automatic on current Intel drivers. It sure looks like it isn't resizing x and y on rotation though.

Either way since you have the chipset's name you have something to google with.

By the way what does xinput list and xsetwacom list look like now?
    Last edited by Favux; June 20th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    $ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen stylus                       	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Finger touch                     	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad              	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ ISD-V4 Pen eraser                       	id=15	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   	id=16	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Integrated Camera                       	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=14	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    and...

Code:
    $ xsetwacom list
    ISD-V4 Pen stylus               	id: 10	type: STYLUS    
    ISD-V4 Finger touch             	id: 11	type: TOUCH     
    ISD-V4 Pen eraser               	id: 15	type: ERASER
    I'll look into the video issues and report back here. I also just subscribed to linuxwacom-devel in case people need me to do any testing.

Thank you!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast