Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Quote Originally Posted by maxxum
    I am using cellwriter now. I would like to have its keyboard bigger. Is there such an option?
    Sure switch to the keyboard by pressing Keys on the bottom if you're not already in keyboard mode. Enter Setup and adust Keyboard: pixels wide. You can watch it dynamically resize.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxum
    Now if only we can swipe-to-scroll and pinch to zoom. Do we have anything to look forward to in 11.10 in terms of tablet-features?
    As I mentioned a patch to help scroll/zoom is pending. Chris is reworking some of the driver code flow which I guess is taking some time. I sort of doubt the gesture improvements will land in Oneiric. I'm not sure which version of xf86-input-wacom it has as default but I'm thinking they're too recent to have landed in Oneiric.

Oneiric has GNOME 3.2 and so now we see the first rudimentary Wacom cpanel applet for the gnome control center. Early days and it only deals with the stylus. There was suppose to be a left handed feature and a hidden calibration button but I don't think they made it. Maybe Oneiric will still get them?

Peter added hooks to the gnome-settings-daemon to make the cpanel applet possible. But that can trip you up because its settings can override your settings in xorg.conf.d or xorg.conf and you need to be aware of that. See: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ettings-daemon

Beans

I'm having a new issue now. The left mouse click often stops working, both on the touchpad and the dedicated button. The right click works. If I switch to the tablet mode and return to laptop mode, the button starts working again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by maxxum View Post
    It does not rotate
    Code:
    @x220t:~$ cd ./Desktop/magick-rotation/
    @x220t:~/Desktop/magick-rotation$ ./xrotate.py left
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "./xrotate.py", line 846, in <module>
        r.rotate(direction)
      File "./xrotate.py", line 770, in rotate
        display.direction = display.rotate(direction)
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rotate'
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Code:
    x220t:~/Desktop/magick-rotation$ lsmod | grep thinkpad
    thinkpad_acpi          81587  0 
    nvram                  14419  1 thinkpad_acpi
    snd                    67382  15 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,thinkpad_acpi,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
    This looks like the bug I had - see my post #53 in this thread.

Beans
    Distro

Calibration and orientation

I played lately with xinput_calibrator - it's great, with the following exceptions:
    1. You have to tell it your current calibration
    2. It does not set the new calibration, only prints it
    3. It gives wrong coordinates in inverted mode
    4. It practically doesn't work at all in left/right modes
    currently I have a script which deals with the first three issues (the most problematic was inverted mode - my solution is a weird workaround):
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env python
    import re
    from subprocess import *

PEN = 'ISD-V4 Pen stylus'
    ERASER = 'ISD-V4 Pen eraser'
    TOUCH = 'ISD-V4 Finger touch'
    TRACKPOINT = 'TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint'
    COORDMAT = "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" #"129"

# Get Trackpoint transformation matrix
    MAT = Popen(["xinput","list-props",TRACKPOINT],stdout=PIPE).communicate()[0]
    MAT = [x for x in MAT.splitlines() if COORDMAT in x][0]
    MAT = [eval(x) for x in MAT[MAT.find(':')+1:].strip().replace(',',' ').split(' ') if x]
    # Store pen matrix
    OLDMAT = Popen(["xinput","list-props",PEN],stdout=PIPE).communicate()[0]
    OLDMAT = [x for x in OLDMAT.splitlines() if COORDMAT in x][0]
    OLDMAT = [eval(x) for x in OLDMAT[OLDMAT.find(':')+1:].strip().replace(',',' ').split(' ') if x]
    # Set pen matrix
    call(["xinput","set-prop",PEN,COORDMAT]+map(str,MAT))
    try:
        # Get old coordinates
        T = Popen(["xsetwacom","get",PEN,"Area"],stdout=PIPE).communicate()[0]
        x1,y1,x2,y2 = map(int,T.strip().split(' '))
        print "OLD AREA:",x1,y1,x2,y2
        # Get points
        T = Popen(["xinput_calibrator","--device",PEN,"--precalib",`x1`,`x2`,`y1`,`y2`],stdout=PIPE).communicate()[0]
        x1,x2,y1,y2 = [int(re.search('Option\s*"%s"\s*"([-0-9]*)"'%x,T).group(1)) for x in ["MinX","MaxX","MinY","MaxY"]]
        print "NEW AREA:",x1,y1,x2,y2
        # Apply calibration
        call(["xsetwacom","set",PEN,"Area",`x1`,`y1`,`x2`,`y2`])
        call(["xsetwacom","set",ERASER,"Area",`x1`,`y1`,`x2`,`y2`])
    except Exception,e:
        print "CALIBRATION FAILED!\n"+T+`e`
    # Restore old pen matrix
    call(["xinput","set-prop",PEN,COORDMAT]+map(str,OLDMAT))
    Currently the script calibrates both pen and eraser according to the input but it would be easy to make the behavior (set only one of them, or finger touch) flag-dependent.
    I might get to try to store the calibration (currently it is lost when rebooting) and make separate calibrations for normal and inverted modes (with switching triggered by magic-rotation afterrotate).
    Comments are welcome!
    Last edited by parzan; October 9th, 2011 at 05:36 PM.

Beans

Hi again,

I switched to Oneric, and although this thread is about Natty I feel it has somehow become the central resource for "touch ubuntu x220t" related problems.

Problem is as follows:

Rotating the x220t into potrait mode somehow inverses the input with pen and touch, meaning up is down and left ist right....
    If I use the rotate script and go to any orientation landscape mode, everything is fine again.

Besides this bug Oneric works like a charm and makes unity quiet a bit more usable.

Greetz,
    Bert
    Last edited by karlkoch23; October 17th, 2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi karlkoch23,

That's been fixed upstream at the Linux Wacom Project and is in the xf86-input-wacom-0.11.1 tar. Unfortunately Ubuntu chose the 0.11.0 release which still has the bug. Feel free to join the Launchpad bug report: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...om/+bug/857647 Or at least confirm it affects you.

So the solution is to upgrade your xf86-input-wacom to at least 0.11.1. See part II. of the BambooPT HOW TO.

Beans

I upgraded to 11:10 as well. Currently I have only firefox running and it has only 3 tabs open. Yet, the fan is blowing pretty loud and if I keep my hand on the left, near the vent, I can feel the wind blowing and it makes even louder wooosh as it hits my fingers. Can't be good.

Beans

@maxxum, try the tweaks in this article:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...15_power&num=1

I'm using the the first two tweaks listed on that page and results are good (lvds tweak causes resolution problems on the x220t).

and additionally try installing thinkfan

Once thinkfan is installed you will need to set a sensor line in it to:

sensor /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

(just above the temp list arrays is fine)

and you'll want to edit /etc/default/thinkfan and change start to 'yes' once you confirm it's working.

11.10 is running cool and quiet with moderately heavy use. Ask if you don't get the above to work.
    Last edited by altercation; October 22nd, 2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: more detail, yo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maxxum View Post
    I'm having a new issue now. The left mouse click often stops working, both on the touchpad and the dedicated button. The right click works. If I switch to the tablet mode and return to laptop mode, the button starts working again.
    I'm having a very similar issue, but I didn't realise it's related to switching in and out of tablet mode. Have you got any further information about this? From using xev, it seems to me that the left click on the touchpad is inverted, so it's as if you are clicking-and-dragging constantly. I suppose this is what blocks further left click signals from the dedicated buttons and pen.

Can you confirm similar behaviour?
    Are you using that magickrotation program to deal with moving from tablet/normal mode?

As an aside, a big thank you to everyone in this thread, it's an invaluable source of information for getting the x220t up and running!

Beans
    Distro

Hi everbody,

A few quick questions:

1) Someone mentioned upgrading to 11.10 above... do people mostly have a positive experience? I'm running 11.04 and everything works pretty well (in Classic!), so I'm reluctant to upgrade if it will just break everything.

2) Is anybody else experiencing random lock-ups? Every few days the screen will freeze and I have to reboot. I use wake/sleep a lot, but it's not obviously correlated to that.

3) Regarding 2) above: I still have to do a BIOS update (requires being in Windows... grrr). Maybe that will help.

Best,

-s

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast