Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Beans

Re: Natty Narwhal on Lenovo ThinkPad X220T

Hi.

Been rather quiet here of late. I had been having difficulty finding a way to put a GUI on desktop for rotation script where I control its appearance.
    I stumbled upon an approach that is rather simple so I thought I would share.

Here is the link.

http://superuser.com/questions/34744...pt-to-the-dock

The only problem I had with this approach is that the instructions say to put the myGUIapp.desktop script (see link) in ~/.local/share/applications/
    However nothing happened. Perhaps I need to set a permission to make it work here?

What I did notice is it works fine if you instead put it in the Desktop directory. Of course make sure you set the permissions!
    I found a curled arrow png image that looks similar to the magick rotation image on google images which makes a nice icon.

Perhaps for ubuntu 12.04 there is a different location that is equivalent to ~/.local/share/applications/
    Anyways, for linux aficionados that find putting the desktop script in Desktop offensive, please do chime in!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the post I provided the link for was describing how to set up desktop GUI using svg image. I used png. Not sure if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by mscion; July 21st, 2012 at 03:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi mscion,

Not sure I follow. Are you saying you wanted to put a launcher for your script on your Precise Unity Desktop? Where you could specify the icon for it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi mscion,

Not sure I follow. Are you saying you wanted to put a launcher for your script on your Precise Unity Desktop? Where you could specify the icon for it?
    Hi Favux. I'm sure what I'm saying is just revealing what a noob I am! Previously, when I set up the rotate script to run from the Precise Unity Desktop the default icon that appeared looked like that associated with a text file which is not suitable for this function. I wanted it to look something like the curled arrow that Magick rotation uses. So I made a file like that described in the link

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=My GUI App
    Exec=/path/to/shellscript.sh
    Icon=/path/to/you/icon.svg
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true

where I put the path to the rotate script in Exec and a png file for Icon. But for some reason it didn't work if I put this file in the directory ~/.local/share/applications/ as specified in the link. But it does work if I put it in the directory Desktop. First it appeared like the text icon on the ubuntu desktop but then, once I made it executable the png file became the icon (maybe that was just timing). And it works fine. However, my ultimate preference is to use one of the buttons on the bezel. Just haven't tried it yet.

Beans
    Distro

That's interesting.

I still haven't quite figured out how to put a launcher/app/icon I've created into Unity's taskbar. Getting closer I think.

Anyway there are several ways to create a .desktop file. You can use alacarte. Probably spelled that wrong. But what I've done is the following.
    CREATE LAUNCHER
    Install the 'gnome-panel' package through software center (also called the "launcher and docking facility for GNOME"):
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Open a new text file and name it 'Create Launcher'. Into the text file add the following 2 lines:
    #!/bin/bash

gnome-desktop-item-edit --create-new $(pwd) &

Make the text file executable by right clicking on it and in Properties choose the Permissions tab and check the Execute box. Move the 'Create Launcher' script into the ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts directory (which is hidden). Then right-click on the Desktop and from the pop-up menu choose Scripts > Create Launcher. A dialog very similar to the one in Gnome 2 (where the icon name, command, icon, etc. can be specified) pops up. Fill in the details as usual for a Launcher.

Desktop icons have to be enabled, if they aren't gnome-tweak-tool can fix that. They should be by default in Precise. If you can right-click the Desktop and make a folder or file then Desktop icons are enabled.
    Then for the icon you click on the generic icon in the launcher and choose the path to the one you want to use. That gave me back the ability to create launchers like we used to be able to do in Gnome2.

There might be more elegant solutions out there but I don't know them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    That's interesting.

I still haven't quite figured out how to put a launcher/app/icon I've created into Unity's taskbar. Getting closer I think.

Anyway there are several ways to create a .desktop file. You can use alacarte. Probably spelled that wrong. But what I've done is the following.

Then for the icon you click on the generic icon in the launcher and choose the path to the one you want to use. That gave me back the ability to create launchers like we used to be able to do in Gnome2.

There might be more elegant solutions out there but I don't know them.
    It would be great if one could run rotate scripts form taskbar.

Any familiarity with tint2. I just came across it.

tint2 makes panel/taskbar that is customizable and has autohide feature.

http://code.google.com/p/tint2/
    Last edited by mscion; July 22nd, 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Beans

Did you make the .desktop file executable? (Right click, choose Properties, then go to Permission and check the box allowed executed as a program)

After you put the .desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications you have to drag and drop the the icon from there to the Unity bar, that should work.

Beans
    Distro

I've read about Tint before but that's all.

Rather than Tint what I've used on my Desktop is Cairo/Glx Dock. I set it up on the right opposite of the Unity launcher and tweaked it to look like the Unity launcher. Then I removed duplicate stuff and added things, which could have included a launcher (just drag and drop), to supplement the launcher. For example the Cairo Dock Ubuntu symbol isn't Dash it is the Main Menu. And so on. Basically I have everything I had in Gnome2 back.

That might be a good solution for you at least in laptop mode, given how wide your screen is. Rotated in Portrait orientation you would probably either need to kill or rotate the Dock to the bottom or maybe hide it with Magick Rotation's Advanced Setup.

@ bobsan,

Yeah, but dragging and dropping the app on the Unity launcher is cheating. How do you do it from the command line, that's my question. I can add an icon to hicolor and rerun the cache and then see the icon in Cairo Dock for example. But still the icon is not there in the Unity laucher.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobsan View Post
    Did you make the .desktop file executable? (Right click, choose Properties, then go to Permission and check the box allowed executed as a program)

After you put the .desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications you have to drag and drop the the icon from there to the Unity bar, that should work.
    Thanks! I had made it executable after moving it to Desktop. After reading your post I just moved it back to ~/.local/share/applications/ and put it in the Unity bar as you suggested. Now my Desktop is nice and clean! Although my Unity bar is getting a bit crowded... Hopefully the rotation script can eventually be run from the task bar.
    Appreciate everyone's help!

Beans

Hi, I guess I'm a bit slow but I recently noticed that you can scroll, when using a browser, by swiping up or down on the screen with two fingers. (In contrast you can scroll using one finger when running windows 7 ). Also, it seems that you can zoom by using three fingers but it does not seem too effective. Any pointers or reference on multitouch gestures when running ubuntu on X220t.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

My timeless prose on gestures is in 'man wacom', so just enter that in a terminal. Also see part VI. on the BambooPT HOW TO.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast