Thread: Regional Meetings?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Regional Meetings?

I understand that one of the barriers to having SC LoCo meetings is the inability of many of us to travel to another part of the state for a meet-up. I, personally, am tied to the Upstate.

Do we have four people who would be willing to get on a monthly Skype call or IRC chat, and hold a local meeting for your area?

I'm thinking the four areas that would be represented would be Greenville, Columbia, Florence/Myrtle Beach, and Charleston. I know this doesn't make a meeting close to everyone, but it will make the commute easier for most.

We could keep a unified approach towards the entire state, yet still show some regional flavoring.

I will volunteer for the Greenville area, but will have to hold all of my events on Saturdays, as that is the only day that I am not on call for my day job.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Regional Meetings?

Wow... I'll take that as a "no"....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I could help with an irc chat if need be. Not to sound contrary, but what exactly would be the point of these meetings?

Beans
    Distro

IRC chats are all well and good, but the world in general just wants to meet up somewhere and discuss things. The point of a LoCo Team is to get the word out about Ubuntu, so regular announced meetings that outsiders can come to could do wonders.

Not to sound contrary, but I don't see the point in meeting up on IRC chat... especially if we're not letting everyone interested know explicitly what is going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Even though it is possible to do, I think this SC group should start having meetings on IRC for the time being.. if interest builds up more, then try to schedule monthly meetings at a "central" location.. Columbia probably being the most favorable location.

I saw the other post about LinuxFest 2011.. and I noticed that Ubuntu wasn't listed on the LinuxFest page (Redhat / Fedora was though) , I would like to try and ramp things up a bit with you guys.

I was also told by a few users outside of this SC LoCo, that this is a "closed" group and only a few members here make decisions, but I would like to offer my help, regardless.

Geelo

Beans
    Distro

There's supposed to be an IRC meeting on the last Wednesday of the month. I'm going to try my hardest to be there. I think we should try for an actual meetup at least once a quarter, but that seems to be just me.

The LoCo has been inactive for at least the last couple of years, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Beans
    Distro

I'll try to be on the chat as well. What time are the meetings typically?

I'd like to see the LoCo wake back up as well, though I know it will take some work.
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Beans
    Distro

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SouthCarolinaTeam

says 8:00 on the wiki....

Beans
    Distro

Sorry. Somehow I missed the wiki.
    Thanks!
    Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Beans

I'm with you guys on getting things ramped back up...let me know what I can do.