Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anybody help a noob?

Beans

Re: Can anybody help a noob?

Quote Originally Posted by Strom View Post
    As far as links to my music, I have removed all of it from all stores....I kinda wanted to donate them here to the community
    Is there a spot I can upload it for everyone?
    Uh, theres actually so MANY places that I'm not sure what to recommend. What did you have in mind in terms of license/etc?
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Thewhistlingwind View Post
    Uh, theres actually so MANY places that I'm not sure what to recommend. What did you have in mind in terms of license/etc?
    No license, I wrote the music so I guess open source. I only ask that if it is sold that any profit goes towards building ubuntus community and anything else that may be needed for funding this operating system
    I am not releasing any more music under that name commercially, so it won't bother me how it is distributed.
    If I need to do any legal process so you guys/gals can use it without any worries just tell me what I need to do.
    I still have one Cd that I never put in stores, it was not finished when I got hacked so it was to be a pretty anticipated release, it's called Stranger Than Most.
    I use Ableton Live 8 with the APC40 as my DAW, the Korg microKORG synthesizer/vocoder, Korg Kaosillator, a Yamaha board, a rainstick, and a guitar with the triplwah pedal. A few other gadgets I circuitbent for effects then I mater the stem tracks in a mastering suite that I won in a youtube video contest from IK Multimedia called the T-Racks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One thing I would really like to know is how to view my youtube and vimeo videos, and how to reclaim and download them back to my box. Only problem is that I have forgotten my vimeo password, and the email used to open it with no longer exists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Starting with the firewall.

In bash: (if people say stuff like this they usually mean in bash/terminal)

man ufw

Set it up how you like.

Onto the email:

Some potential choices

(Don't forget a mail client, if you want one.)

Misc:

That's a great attitude to have.

It takes a lot to get me to not help you.

Link to your music? I'm interested.

Read this:

The security sticky

All the other stickies too.

Reference this:

http://ss64.com/bash/

And if you want more, do what I did. Search the web.
    Here is a link to my old site where I did remixes for reznor...the music is open source so it can be downloaded free.
    http://member.nin.com/member/brainstrain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

There is a few Firefox Add-ons that make it easy to download YouTube videos as files on your machine. I've used one for ages simply called "Download YouTube Videos as MP4" version 1.21 now (created by Gantt). It just adds a Download button on the video page that seems to work great for me.

No idea about Vimeo though. Maybe the same exists.

For licensing you might look at reading the Creative Commons pages to see if they suit you at all. I know they're popular with some artists who want to share and make that explicitly known.
    Last edited by BkkBonanza; June 19th, 2011 at 10:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For Vimeo you can use the Firebug extension for Firefox.

Go to the Vimeo page and open Firebug. Click on the Net tab, underneath those tabs click to select All. Press play on the Video in vimeo and you'll see some activity in the Firebug pane.
    Now in the Firebug pane hover your mouse over the [+]GET rows. You'll see one has a URL with .mp4? in the address. Right click this and choose copy location.
    You can then open a terminal, cd to your chosen download directory and use wget...

Code:
    wget http://av.vimeo.com/.....
    The file type depends on the video so it might be .flv?
    You can clean up the file name so long as the extension type is retained eg .mp4
    Last edited by Ezlivin; June 19th, 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Extra Info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ezlivin View Post

You can clean up the file name so long as the extension type is retained eg .mp4
    Actually, Unix uses magic numbers, file extensions aren't necessary.

I keep them anyway, it's great for scripted file sorting.

Going back to the music thing, I echo the suggestion of creative commons, they have pretty much every right someone may or may not want to give as an option, except attribution. Reading the license itself would also be a good idea.

Of course, I'm sure theres plenty of other license schemes out there too.
    Last edited by Thewhistlingwind; June 19th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Actually, Unix uses magic numbers, file extensions aren't necessary.

I keep them anyway, it's great for scripted file sorting.

Going back to the music thing, I echo the suggestion of creative commons, they have pretty much every right someone may or may not want to give as an option, except attribution. Reading the license itself would also be a good idea.

Of course, I'm sure theres plenty of other license schemes out there too.
    I have much music from the creative commons license I got from Ekoplazm dot com. dJ Basilisk gives much darkpsy, full-on and other styles of Goa and trance.
    Thank you for the reminder
    I was able to retrieve some of my videos from vimeo, had to install a package..2 really. Dirty, or something like that...but I believe it may be against the code of ethics in the community and I do not know how to remove it now. Maybe I should reformat to get it out of my box.
    Namaste friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why do I get this warning when logging in here....
    The information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party.

Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?

Not cool....
    Is there a virus protection prog for ubuntu? AVClam?
    Last edited by Strom; June 20th, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: not done...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

As far as I know Ubuntu forums doesn't use HTTPS (SSL) for security during login. At least, I just tried it and it didn't, though I didn't check if it can forced to use it.

This is a bit silly nowadays but I guess they don't consider security of login creds too critical. Anyway, you likely just saw a message from your browser warning you that this is the case. If the forum doesn't support it there's not much you can do except perhaps login only when using an SSH tunnel. That will protect your whole connection from outside eavesdropping regardless of whether you use HTTPS for the site. But it also requires that you have some outside server you can connect via - which not everyone has handily available.

There is anti-virus programs for linux but they aren't going to help you with anything like this as this lack of encryption has nothing to do with a virus anyway. Virus problems on Linux are much less common and rarely a threat like under Windows. If you want to know more then read the Sticky at top of this forum.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast