Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: fbsplash

Beans

Re: fbsplash

Quote Originally Posted by dolny View Post
    Hmm the link to evolution-mission.org is dead Any workarounds? I want to install the patches and stuff correctly.
    They have problems with they servers.
    Maybe trying tomorrow or send a PM to nesl247 (the maintainer of Evolution-Emission) informing/asking for details....

Beans
    Hidden!

does anybody know, how I can use fbsplash without sacrificing my xgl-compiz setup which needs nvidia instead of nv ?

what I want is a completely graphical boot process from BIOS to GDM.

- usplash is the standard, it starts very early in the boot process, but it only detects a very low screen and color resolution
    - splashy is a bit better because it detects a higher resolution but it can neither handle widescreen (1280x800) nor 32bit color mode, and it pops in too late after some lines of text are already on the screen and it flickers during startup.
    - fbsplash was my choice back in my gentoo days, because it worked perfect with directfb, my screen and color resolution and covers the whole boot process from GRUB to GDM.

BUT: According to the tutorial on this page I have to change the device entry in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from "nvidia" back to "nv" which throws me back from Xgl to Xorg, which is a great loss for me.

AFAIK, Xgl and the COMPIZ eye-candy absolutely needs "nvidia" in the driver section.

Has anybody other suggestions, how to fix this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by storytobi View Post
    does anybody know, how I can use fbsplash without sacrificing my xgl-compiz setup which needs nvidia instead of nv ?

what I want is a completely graphical boot process from BIOS to GDM.

- usplash is the standard, it starts very early in the boot process, but it only detects a very low screen and color resolution
    - splashy is a bit better because it detects a higher resolution but it can neither handle widescreen (1280x800) nor 32bit color mode, and it pops in too late after some lines of text are already on the screen and it flickers during startup.
    - fbsplash was my choice back in my gentoo days, because it worked perfect with directfb, my screen and color resolution and covers the whole boot process from GRUB to GDM.

BUT: According to the tutorial on this page I have to change the device entry in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from "nvidia" back to "nv" which throws me back from Xgl to Xorg, which is a great loss for me.

AFAIK, Xgl and the COMPIZ eye-candy absolutely needs "nvidia" in the driver section.

Has anybody other suggestions, how to fix this issue?

You can reinstall the nvidia driver after installing your custom kernel, but you'll have to use the nvidia installer which compiles the kernel module for your kernel. On Dapper, just running the installer downloaded from nvidia.com WILL NOT WORK. You need this howto: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper
    I never could get Xgl to work with my custom kernel, that's why I stopped using fbsplash
    "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by knn View Post
    You can reinstall the nvidia driver after installing your custom kernel, but you'll have to use the nvidia installer which compiles the kernel module for your kernel. On Dapper, just running the installer downloaded from nvidia.com WILL NOT WORK. You need this howto: http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Dapper
    I never could get Xgl to work with my custom kernel, that's why I stopped using fbsplash
    thanks for that link. I'll try it on the weekend.
    Is there another splash I am not yet aware of?
    gensplash(fbsplash), bootsplash(splashy), usplash, ...?

I also read in another post, there is an option for gensplash to load it in userspace not kernel. Does it probably work with original kernel, too?
    Last edited by storytobi; September 21st, 2006 at 10:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by storytobi View Post
    thanks for that link. I'll try it on the weekend.
    Is there another splash I am not yet aware of?
    gensplash(fbsplash), bootsplash(splashy), usplash, ...?

I also read in another post, there is an option for gensplash to load it in userspace not kernel. Does it probably work with original kernel, too?
    This means that if you don't care about having an image in the background of your system consoles and all you really want is a progress bar and a nice picture while (re-)booting the system, you can just use splashutils and skip everything related to fbsplash, thus making gensplash a 100% userspace solution. No kernel patches are required in this case.
    There is, but you don't get the console backgrounds and I don't know how early fbsplash will start (however since usplash can start early enough, fbsplash should be able to do that too, if set up correctly)
    "Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

great howto

I originally included all of the noted kernel items in addition to the ones required by my system but got that modules.dep error before even installing splashutils. Saw a few other errors with filesystem drivers that hate being builtin , especially UFS. It disappeared when I just stuck to copying the ubuntu config and only removing certain items and keeping necessary drivers as modules. Thought that was weird. I used the latest 2.6.17 Emission8 patches + idehotfix + other patches listed here.
    In case that helps anyone.

Also had to copy a new ipw2200 firmware version 2.4 to /lib/firmware/2.6.17 to get it working again. Copy it over to the name of the file that gives you the error. If I came across those 2 bits I would have saved myself alot of reading and time.

Even with the modifications people listed to stop the flicker* it didnt work for me. I have to run my bootsplash in verbose mode to avoid that issue.

Im using radeonfb @1400x1050-32@60 my laptop's default resolution and a modified version of the original poster's Ubuntu theme with certain things changed to display in 1400x1050 mode.

convert some.png some.jpg is a great way to modify a desktop wallpaper to plug into verbose or silent pics. jpg wouldnt work for me in gentoo but png did and in ubuntu its reversed png would only shoot error 22's

ill try fb grab in a minute and see if I can up a screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

About that flicker: Did you add fade to the splash parameters? It caused flickering on my computer, that's why I removed it from the howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by knn View Post
    About that flicker: Did you add fade to the splash parameters? It caused flickering on my computer, that's why I removed it from the howto
    no I think I looked for it the other day as a possible cause for the flickering.
    I have a more pressing problem - fbsplash turning consoles off and on at boot repeatedly

[4294801.253000] fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'whateverIsetthistoo'

[4294801.123000] fbsplash: switched splash state to 'off' on console 1

and that repeats for every console and then tries again so I get hundreds of pretty fbsplash lines - whether I set the theme in grub or not - the themes set but that goes nonstop during boot until login prompt on console1
    ever see that? i just started researching it and so far have only seen suspend issues and other stuff that doesnt really talk about what it is. Im guessing its the fbsplash daemon or whatever it is that runs from init.d maybe with debugging on

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    and that repeats for every console and then tries again so I get hundreds of pretty fbsplash lines
    In splash=verbose mode, usplash_write checks if splashutils is running ("splashutils status") but it never is, so it starts it at each item in the progress list.

Try putting that line in /etc/init.d/splashutils
    Code:
     [[ -z "$(/sbin/splash_util -c getstate --tty=${TTY} 2>/dev/null| grep 'off')" && -n "$(/sbin/splash_util -c getcfg --tty=${TTY} 2>/dev/null| grep ^theme:[[:space:]]*${theme}$)" ]] && continue
    just before the block
    Code:
    /sbin/splash_util --tty="${TTY}" -m v -t "${theme}" -c setcfg 2>/dev/null
    /sbin/splash_util --tty="${TTY}" -m v -t "${theme}" -c setpic 2>/dev/null
    /sbin/splash_util --tty="${TTY}" -c on 2>/dev/null
    And in /sbin/splash replace:
    Code:
    if [[ ${SPLASH_MODE_REQ} == "verbose" ]]; then
    ${SPLUTIL} -c on 2>/dev/null
    exit 0
    by

Code:
    if [[ -z "$(${SPLUTIL} -c getstate 2>/dev/null| grep 'off')" ]]; then
    fi
    exit 0
    This will prevent the binaries splash_util and splash_util.static to be run more than once if the theme is already set and the splash/background already active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by alexisdm View Post
    In splash=verbose mode, usplash_write checks if splashutils is running ("splashutils status") but it never is, so it starts it at each item in the progress list.

Try putting that line in /etc/init.d/splashutils
    Code:
     [[ -z "$(/sbin/splash_util -c getstate --tty=${TTY} 2>/dev/null| grep 'off')" && -n "$(/sbin/splash_util -c getcfg --tty=${TTY} 2>/dev/null| grep ^theme:[[:space:]]*${theme}$)" ]] && continue
    just before the block
    Code:
    /sbin/splash_util --tty="${TTY}" -m v -t "${theme}" -c setcfg 2>/dev/null
    /sbin/splash_util --tty="${TTY}" -m v -t "${theme}" -c setpic 2>/dev/null
    /sbin/splash_util --tty="${TTY}" -c on 2>/dev/null
    And in /sbin/splash replace:
    Code:
    exit 0
    by

Code:
    if [[ -z "$(${SPLUTIL} -c getstate 2>/dev/null| grep 'off')" ]]; then
    fi
    exit 0
    This will prevent the binaries splash_util and splash_util.static to be run more than once if the theme is already set and the splash/background already active.
    alex you are the man/woman

gonna try that tonight, I will post back with the results

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast