Thread: Wrong architecture 'i386' error on a 32-bits system

Beans

Question Wrong architecture 'i386' error on a 32-bits system

Hi all,

I am having a rather odd problem on my Ubuntu 11.04 installation on a 32-bits Intel Core 2 Quad system. When I try to install packages that are not in the repositories, I keep getting the message " Wrong architecture 'i386' " in the Ubuntu Software Center.

I have downloaded several packages for 32-bits systems and get the same error every time, for instance., with the Linux 32-bits Debian package for Teamviewer.

In addition to the PC, I have a laptop with an amd64, and I have transfered the pkglist from that machine to my PC to get the same environment. Could that cause any problems of the sort above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Wrong architecture 'i386' error on a 32-bits system

That system is a 64 bit system - sounds like you have the 64 bit OS version installed.

Perform this command in terminal and post the output back in the forums:

Code:
    uname -a
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

Angry Re: Wrong architecture 'i386' error on a 32-bits system

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    That system is a 64 bit system - sounds like you have the 64 bit OS version installed.

Perform this command in terminal and post the output back in the forums:

Code:
    uname -a
    Thanks for the tip! Result:

Linux eric-MS-7360 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have managed to install the wrong system! That's just great... Ok, so now I have to start from scratch, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wrong architecture 'i386' error on a 32-bits system

Quote Originally Posted by ElToro View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Result:

Linux eric-MS-7360 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have managed to install the wrong system! That's just great... Ok, so now I have to start from scratch, right?
    If by wrong system you mean you intended to install 32 bit then you'd be correct. However 64 bit os is the correct os for your cpu, as it is 64 bit. (You can't install a 64 bit os to a 32 bit cpu, it just won't boot)

If you are intent on installing 32 bit then yes you'd have to backup and reinstall.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Wrong architecture 'i386' error on a 32-bits system

Apologies all around. I got confused because I was installing Ubuntu on various machines at a time, both 32 and 64-bits...

This is a 64-bit machine with a 64-bits system. And from now on I'll download the right (64-bits) packages!