Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natty Narwhal design+look changes

Beans

Cool Natty Narwhal design+look changes

Hey all,
    I recently upgraded to Natty, and although it looks sweet with that new menu, I must say it is quite unorganized and slow. I liked the older ubuntu menu's better where everything was neatly sorted and organized, now for almost every program i need to search it up and/or press a few buttons just so I can finally get that Category button to pop up so I can choose the category in what the program might be in. Also with the side bar i can't open multiple windows; for example with my home folder I can only open one at a time, making it a pain to copy files in between folders. Also command lines: I open one up, minimize it for whatever reason and then when I want to reopen it in the side bar by clicking on it it starts a complete new command line!!! (note: I have the command line pinned to the side bar)
    It is also pretty glitchy and slow at times, programs won't open up sometimes or the minimize/close/resize at the top "glitch" out and I have to use the command line to quit the window/program.

The new versions also seems to be a lot slower than the others IMO. My computer isn't the fastest and newest, but for all the other Ubuntu versions my 1gb ram and dual core were more than enough power, while now with Natty it takes longer to open up stuff, video players have many bugs and are "lagging", also a lot more programs (mainly games) crash on me or freeze than in any other Ubuntu version.
    I don't want to be a negative Nancy here, and the Dev. team did a great job and I like the futuristic new look of Ubuntu, but I must say it is still somewhat buggy and slow IMO.

Any help how I can fix the bugs, "lag" and make the menu more categorized/organized??
    Thanks all.
    Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Natty Narwhal design+look changes

Thats called Unity, you want Gnome.
    After selecting your login name on the bottom of the screen you will see the desktop options. Choose Ubuntu Classic. You will be back in your familiar Gnome desktop.
    It's been a while!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

run sudo apt-get upgrade to get the latest updates, should fix most bugs
    It's been a while!

Beans

Thanks for the help, I put it back to gnome, but now the problem is that the menu bar above the windows are gone! In Unity it used to be in the upper task bar but since I changed it it completely disappeared. Is there a way to put the menu bar back directly on top of the windows like in the older Ubuntus and like in MS Windows?
    Thank you for your help
    Dan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Dannylee View Post
    Thanks for the help, I put it back to gnome, but now the problem is that the menu bar above the windows are gone! In Unity it used to be in the upper task bar but since I changed it it completely disappeared. Is there a way to put the menu bar back directly on top of the windows like in the older Ubuntus and like in MS Windows?
    Thank you for your help
    Dan
    Hi please include a screen shot of your desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans

the picture is in the attachments.
    The encircled area shows that there is no menu bar above the window, this happens to all the windows except for a few such as google chrome (my guess that is because it has its own appearance settings). Is there a way to get that menu bar back?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You said you upgraded to 11.04. Was this fresh install or an upgrade from 10.10 using update manager? I've been using unity since beta 1 and have found it fairly stable for being a recent desktop environment, and it very responsive. I always do a fresh install and keep my system up to date.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dFlyer View Post
    You said you upgraded to 11.04. Was this fresh install or an upgrade from 10.10 using update manager? I've been using unity since beta 1 and have found it fairly stable for being a recent desktop environment, and it very responsive. I always do a fresh install and keep my system up to date.
    I upgraded it using the update manager

Beans

anybody know how to fix that menu bar problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast