Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why ubuntu is better than windows 7

Beans

why ubuntu is better than windows 7

hi guys I recently went from windows 7 to ubuntu 11.04 on my netbook as I was told it would make my netbook faster and it did, I absoluetly love the os and will be installing it on all my computers. I have a friend who has an older computer and is having trouble running windows 7 but he needs a bit more convincing to put ubuntu on it so if any of you guys could compile a list as to why ubuntu is better than windows 7 and why he should install it on his machine that would be a great help or maybe you think he should not install it either way it should all help him make up his mind

Beans

Re: why ubuntu is better than windows 7

Well depends on what your friend does. If you friend plays games etc that requires windows platform to run you'll have trouble.

~ But for an older computer: ubuntu will run faster.
    ~ ubuntu is free
    ~ you can always change your mind and pay for windows, but ubuntu is free so does it really hurt to try?
    ~ automatically works with printers and most hardware; windows does not.
    ~ has free software including office program, playing music, internet browsers

Honestly I think the biggest thing for this person will be to point out that it's free to try and if he doesn't like it he can change his mind. Has this person considered dual partitioning so they can choose between the two? That's what I do. I use windows for certain games and programs, and ubuntu for most other things.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu is known for being a bit bloated than most other Linux distros.

IIf the computer is really old and speed is truly your #1 priority, make sure you give Lubuntu a try first. It is basically Ubuntu with a lighter, faster interface, but with all the benefits that come with Ubuntu (great hardware recognition, extensive software library, etc).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by culham View Post
    hi guys I recently went from windows 7 to ubuntu 11.04 on my netbook as I was told it would make my netbook faster and it did, I absoluetly love the os and will be installing it on all my computers. I have a friend who has an older computer and is having trouble running windows 7 but he needs a bit more convincing to put ubuntu on it so if any of you guys could compile a list as to why ubuntu is better than windows 7 and why he should install it on his machine that would be a great help or maybe you think he should not install it either way it should all help him make up his mind

Because he can be awesome. He can learn about the future of computers. Ubuntu looks awesome, works awesome, and IS AWESOME.

Enough awesome said.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Very few viruses and little malware for Linux in general .
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here is pretty much all you friend needs to know.
    http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

Beans

cheers for all the replies guys and collisionystm you had me at awsome

Beans
    Hidden!

I especially like the freedom aspect.

Don't like Unity. So what? You can switch to Gnome classic, Gnome-shell, KDE, LXDE, XFCE or some others.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

As for the old computer aspect... I had an old P4 computer that ran really crappy with Windows 7. I saw ubuntu on youtube and i immedatly tried it. It ran twice as fast a Dual Core running Windows 7. I highly recommend ubuntu to your friend!

Parker

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Here is pretty much all you friend needs to know.
    http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

^This!!
    My Arch Linux Blog in Spanish
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobonbuntu View Post
    No OS is good in itself; it is always the combination of user and OS that makes a good combination, or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast