Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCWorld - 30 Days With Ubuntu Linux

Beans

PCWorld - 30 Days With Ubuntu Linux

Last edited by amauk; July 1st, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: PCWorld - 30 Days With Ubuntu Linux

Really makes me appreciate how far I've come... such trivial, easily solvable problems...
    I had to do it.

Beans

Recurring?
    so there are other threads about this?
    Code:
    while [ true ]; do CY=$(date +%y); CM=$(date +%m); if [ -n "$PY" ] && [ -n "$PM" ]; then echo "Ubuntu ${CY}.${CM} is the worst release ever"; echo "I'm going back to ${PY}.${PM}"; fi; PY="$CY"; PM="$CM"; sleep 182d; done

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by amauk View Post
    Recurring?
    so there are other threads about this?
    I don't know, some of the time it seems mods just move stuff to recurring discussions for the hell of it. It's their secret way of killing discussions- can't necromance the old thread but if you start a new one, you'll get binned. Anyway, if there was one, it should have been merged, not stuck in recurring.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, I think this has already been posted.

Did they try it again? I remember seeing it a few months ago.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    Yeah, I think this has already been posted.

Did they try it again? I remember seeing it a few months ago.
    He started 2 weeks ago
    (date of first day is 1st June 2011)

Well, whatever really
    I thought it would be of interest to people, but guess not...
    Code:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin2128 View Post
    Really makes me appreciate how far I've come... such trivial, easily solvable problems...
    Agreed, but his point about being a little more tech-savvy than the average Windows user and still having issues is a good one.

I've worked in end user support for pretty close to 20 years. My current gig is supervising the helpdesk and the tier 2 deskside guys in a fairly good-sized federal agency - a few thousand users in about 75 locations. Although we Linux users tend to be a little geekish better than 90% of Windows users are *not* geeks

I've said for years that Linux needed to focus on the UI and things are finally starting to come together there but we've still got a long way to go.

Not Linux' fault but the average user *does* want to plug in his iPhone and have it just work. I've never installed a Cisco VPN client but have installed a Juniper VPN client on a Linux box. Being fairly comfortable in a terminal window it was fairly easy for me to decompress the archive, switch to a root terminal and run the install script but I don't think my mother-in-law could do it

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing anybody here but the author's point about if you compare Linux to Windows you have to use the same set of rules was a good one.

I think there's still a lot of work to be done on the usability end - which to the annoyance of my fellow geeks means even more dummying down of the UI before we're gonna get a whole lot of end user acceptance.

Linux in general and Canonical in particular has made pretty great strides here and although I abhor the dummied-down interfaces as much as anybody else, I'm afraid that's what's gonna be required for mainstream acceptance of Linux.

At least they leave me the option of turning the Fisher-Price interfaces off

I don't use Unity but I do use KDE - and on my netbook KDE's netbook interface is pretty awful if you're an experienced user.

But - I can turn it off
    we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    -- anais nin

Beans

Interesting article, but I stopped reading here:

As an aside to Linux developers--it would really help "sell" Ubuntu Linux to Windows users if it were even easier. I appreciate that there is a theme called Vista Basic, but that is just a color scheme and it's not even part of the default options in the OS. There should be a script of some sort called "Mimic Windows", and it should be offered on install as an option for Windows users switching to Linux. The script should automatically adjust every setting possible to make Ubuntu Linux as close to Windows in look, feel, and behavior as possible without the novice Linux user having to go find all of the settings and tweak it on their own.

If such a thing exists already--and I wouldn't be surprised if it does--point me at it. But, again, it shouldn't be something that a novice Linux user switching from Windows has to go find. It should be boldly presented as an option that can't be missed. I find the look and feel of Ubuntu to be just fine, and I don't have any issue navigating around and tweaking what I need to tweak, but I am also not an average user. Just sayin'.
    Expecting Linux to look and perform like free Windows is silly, and sums up the author's approach to it overall imho. If you can't accept Linux for what it is, then I wouldn't bother.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I come to 'Recurring Discussions' to read the interesting stuff. So don't think it's like a dumping ground for posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Interesting article, but I stopped reading here:

Expecting Linux to look and perform like free Windows is silly, and sums up the author's approach to it overall imho. If you can't accept Linux for what it is, then I wouldn't bother.
    I think it is called Kubuntu? I use Kubuntu exclusively, and like the interface perhaps because I liked it's similarity to Windows. People say they hate Windows. I don't per say. I hate paying for an OS, especially one that basically "obsoletes" the other. They are in business to make money, not to make a great OS. I have seen Win 7 and I think they are finally "getting it" in the sense if they are going to charge for something, it better be awesome. Remember ME? Vista?

Have they seen the latest Kubuntu? I no longer have MacEnvy and my students ask what my cool looking desktop is on my laptop.

Flair is nice if it does not get in the way of productivity and things that are real. Natty with KDE 4.6 is the LEAST laggy KDE 4 version and no slower than gnome. Actually, it does not hesitate or lag, even with full compositing on.

I have to use Windows at work. When I open my laptop, I see very little dissimilarity. Even in gnome, one can place the panel down and in windows, one can move the panel up... so what is is "un windows like" with Ubuntu? Now Mac... that is a whole other oddness. I hate dragging a disk into the trash to eject it. I feel like I am throwing away my data.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast