Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition confusion - Windows 7 first, Ubuntu Live CD [Screenshot]

Beans

Question Partition confusion - Windows 7 first, Ubuntu Live CD [Screenshot]

Hi everybody. Just got a new laptop and it came installed with Windows 7 (clean, the only files I have are this screenshot and PerfectDisk12 for the partitioning). I want to install Ubuntu alongside it, and I want Ubuntu to be the OS my computer boots into automatically. Here's what I've done so far based on reading guides (I shrunk the SYSTEM partition which I'm guessing holds Windows 7 as much as I can, and I shrunk C: some as well but I'm unsure what to do with it really as the guides I saw only had one partition plus a recovery).

Now I don't know what to do as I have unallocated space in two areas (after SYSTEM and after C. Maybe gparted from the Ubuntu live CD can help somewhat...? Erp. I have no idea really. Help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Partition confusion - Windows 7 first, Ubuntu Live CD [Screenshot]

Just put in the ubuntu cd and start installation. Choose the 46gb (unallocated) partition for the ubuntu install. Done.

Then at boot-up, you will be given a choice of which OS to use.

Beans

Thank you. I'll try in a while and say what happened here afterwards. So happy to escape Windows >_>

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can only have four main partitions , so shrinking the first partition do no good, but no harm.......
    if you had made the 46 GB partition an extended partition then you could have had a swap partition inside it, but again no problem , Linux works with a swap file instead.
    you should be fine........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

One point about your partition 1, the "System" partition. That is your Windows boot partition - not the actual Windows system - and which also contains some recovery utilities. It should be 100MB, which looks as though that is what is was before you shrunk it to 84MB. You've released all of 16MB which you can't use anyway. I really don't know if Windows need that 16MB elbow room, but If that was my system I would use the Windows Disk Management utility to expand it back to 100MB again, and then leave it well alone.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Maybe too late for this install, but in future I would recommend making the Ubuntu partition an extended partition with logical drives, rather than a primary partition. This is because you can have a maximum of four primary partition, meaning that down the track if you want to try a new distro, or even test a new Ubuntu, you don't have to muck around with moving partitions.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If you force an installation that creates another Primary partition, don't be surprised if this hoses up your Win7 setup. Why? Because Win7 has a nasty habit of automatically converting Basic Volumes to Dynamic Disks -- when it detects more than 4 primary partitions on a drive.

BEFORE you do anything else, if you want to have a hope of continuing to use Win7 after the Ubuntu install, go to the Win7 backup feature and use it to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. That will allow you to repair the Win7 boot loader -- should it become damaged.

And if you DO want to install Ubuntu into its own partition, you MUST get the total number of Primary partitions (including any Ubuntu partitions) down to a maximum of four.
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Angry Re: Partition confusion - Windows 7 first, Ubuntu Live CD [Screenshot]

Erp, I wish I hadn't rushed into this now. Got a few problems.

Windows 7 won't start. The Windows boot manager comes up and says it failed to start because of a recent hardware or software change. Status 0xc0000225. It told me to use the 'repair your computer' function on the recovery disk which I did, but it found no errors.

One of the partitions (the 400gb one ) is unrecognised. No real idea what happened.

Also, I can't figure out how to connect to my wifi. If I go to network connections > wireless > add, it asks me for a bssid which my router doesn't show, only the ssid, serial, passkey and mac address (which isn't seperated by colons like in the example.)

I have the win7 recovery disk and the 9.10 livecd.
    Last edited by Helenarth; June 16th, 2011 at 04:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you ran the auto repair you have to run it 3 three times as it only fixes one thing at a time. One of those fixes will be reinstalling the windows boot loader to the MBR, so then you have to reinstall grub2's boot loader to the MBR.

It may be better to use the command line repair and run this:

BootRec.exe /FixBoot #updates PBR partition boot sector

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
    Use bootsect.exe to repair XP & older or Vista/7 bootsectors
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html
    http://windows7ultimate.windowsreins...indexthumbs.ht

Is 9.10 the version of Ubuntu you installed? You should have liveCD or windows repair CD for current version install, just to be able to make repairs.

If you have to reinstall grub2's boot loader:
    #Comments are anything after the #, enter commands in terminal session
    #Install MBR from LiveCD, Ubuntu install on sda5 and want grub2's bootloader in drive sda's MBR:
    #Find linux partition, change sda5 if not correct:
    sudo fdisk -l
    #confirm that linux is sda5
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    If grub 1.99 with Natty uses boot not root
    sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda
    # If no errors on previous commands reboot into working system and run this:
    sudo update-grub

#More info here
    How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708
    Reinstall grub2 - Short version
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...ing%20GRUB%202
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for your post, I'll run repair a few more times but I don't really understand the last bit since I don't know much about linux in general yet.
    Yes it was 9.10 I installed.

My main concern is getting the wireless to work as I can deal with not being able to use windows but I do need internet access.
    Last edited by Helenarth; June 16th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast