Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD Fusion APU And Ubuntu Compatibility

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AMD Fusion APU And Ubuntu Compatibility

Hello!

I got a Samsung 305U1A yesterday that's based on the e350 APU. Everything works in 11.04 (64 bit)except two things:

The fglrx driver doesn't work properly. It causes the kernel to output a bunch of ACPI-errors in dmesg and breaks suspend. The desktop also becomes a bit laggy when the driver is active. The open source driver works though. The latest driver from AMD has the same issue.

The screen has bacome garbled with horizontal lines at two occasions, once when I left the computer for a while compiling a kernel and once after resuming from hibernation. This is with the open source radeon driver, I don't use fglrx due to the other problem. I'm not sure what to do about this.

I also had to install a updated psmouse driver to get the touchpad to work properly:
    http://planet76.com/drivers/elantech...ech-v6.tar.bz2
    Last edited by nej_simon; September 5th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I got myself a Zbox with E-350 for the living room PC. Everything works out of the box on the 11.04 including HDMI sound, which used to be a problem before.

Unfortunately I can't watch 720p youtube videos and high quality video files. The picture staggers considerably and I can't really understand why. The graphics should in theory be able to handle 1080p just fine and adding more RAM hasn't helped.

Any thoughts?

So far I was thinking of waiting for 11.10 and if that doesn't help trying Mint. But should Mint improve high res playback? I am not so sure!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzma86 View Post
    I got myself a Zbox with E-350 for the living room PC. Everything works out of the box on the 11.04 including HDMI sound, which used to be a problem before.

Unfortunately I can't watch 720p youtube videos and high quality video files. The picture staggers considerably and I can't really understand why. The graphics should in theory be able to handle 1080p just fine and adding more RAM hasn't helped.

Any thoughts?

So far I was thinking of waiting for 11.10 and if that doesn't help trying Mint. But should Mint improve high res playback? I am not so sure!
    I would say your video playback is a graphics driver problem,11.10 is the better way to go,you could even try the 11.10 beta if you are eager
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Beans

I just got the HP 635 with AMD Fusion chip. Everything seems to work under 11.04 and pretty stable although it is very sluggish. Running demanding programs like word 2007 and photoshop under wine can be slow. some photoshop plugins almost unusable, even with 4gigs RAM.

tried ubuntu 11.10 but too many forced closures

it's a nice machine and very good value but now I would have gone for one of the higher performance processors – fusion is too slow

anyone tried 64 bit yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I tried this out on 11.04 and SD and HD flash were complete fail, the extra graphics driver helps a bit, but the catalyst option to prevent tearing seems to chew cpu cycles. Turn this off and the video speeds up a bit, but tearing occurs with some lag still present.

If you watch a lot of internet tv then on 11.04 it's not going to work out for you.

Loving it in windows though! HD and SD video is fine and the chip, while not stellar uses so little power I almost forget I have the unit sitting on my desk because it's so quiet.

Bios boot is fast as a laptop and I can't actually tell that much difference in speed from my 3.6GHZ phenom 2 x4 965be when loading the OS, except that my hyper X ddr3 1600 is limited to 1333 and single channel!

Well worth getting into if you need a small, low powered machine.

Just don't expect it to do all your video editing tasks... ...fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: AMD Fusion APU And Ubuntu Compatibility

Hey guys I found a very interesting article here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ion_e350&num=1

But it is very strange because the AMD E-350 Fusion CPU / GPU looks pretty damn capable... on Windows that is...... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Y7b...eature=related

Has any one tried the ATI Catalyst drivers instead of the Open Source drivers???

How does it perform?

What version of Ubuntu (Or other Linux OS ) are you running and with what drivers?

What kind of performance do you get?

Thanks to any body who answers

Keep well

Regards

Stinky

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi!

You should check this thread out:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...light=AMD+E350

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky Stinky View Post
    Hey guys I found a very interesting article here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ion_e350&num=1

But it is very strange because the AMD E-350 Fusion CPU / GPU looks pretty damn capable... on Windows that is...... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Y7b...eature=related

Has any one tried the ATI Catalyst drivers instead of the Open Source drivers???

How does it perform?

What version of Ubuntu (Or other Linux OS ) are you running and with what drivers?

What kind of performance do you get?

Thanks to any body who answers

Keep well

Regards

Stinky
    I'm using the xorg-edgers stuff found here and the difference between the stock ones and these is definitely noticeable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzma86 View Post

Unfortunately I can't watch 720p youtube videos and high quality video files. The picture staggers considerably and I can't really understand why.
    I have the same system, and have been struggling. To answer your question directly: the linux drivers for the graphics part of the E-350 chip suck. It's been very difficult for me to get hardware-accelerated video playback working with this system. I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric and AMD Catalyst 11.12 released 12/13/2011, and have had no luck at all (even though running the "vainfo" command indicates that things ought to be working). I briefly had it working well using an older Catalyst release on this system. I pored over this page:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

I also tried uninstalling the AMD drivers that I manually downloaded and simply used Ubuntu's built-in restricted drivers wizard (jockey-gtk) but that didn't give me hardware acceleration either, despite "vainfo" claiming otherwise.

I'm going to try falling back to Catalyst 11.10 or 11.11 tonight.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prebbish View Post
    Hi!

Have any of you guys tried installing XBMC?

Im interested in knowing because i'm planning to buy an Asus board with the AMD e350 for an HTPC running XBMC on linux/ubuntu.
    XBMC runs great on my e-350 laptop, running Ubuntu 11.04 with the Catalyst Drivers. I haven't had any problems installing plug-ins. Video playback isn't choppy and I can also stream to other XBMC devices with no problems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast