Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handbrake locks up system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Exclamation Handbrake locks up system

I was trying to convert a video file using handbrake on my new System76 Leopard Extreme but everytime my system freezes/locks up. I suspect it is locked up because I can't use the mouse and keyboard shortcuts don't work. I am posting this issue in the System76 section because the same problem occurs on the Windows 7 partition too. It must not be an Ubuntu issue. Could it be a computer issue? My computer should be able to handle it:

3.30ghz Core i7
    12gb ram

It worked fine before with my old 1.76ghz 2gb laptop.

Beans

Re: Handbrake locks up system

Encoding video is one of the most stressful things you can ask your computer to do. It is a good way to expose hardware faults. A lockup can be caused by a number of things. Overheating (inadequate cooling), bad memory module, inadequate or bad power supply... the list goes on. You should do some stress tests with programs like prime95 and memtest86 to see if you can narrow down the fault.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would definitely try running MemTest86. You can download it from here:

http://memtest.org

You should download the latest ISO version, 4.20, then burn it to a CD as you would an Ubuntu live CD. That will give us a lot of information to use.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You might just have a buggy version of Handbrake. Try adding a different PPA (I use the snapshot one with no problems) to see if the new version fixes your issues.

Also, Handbrake can lock up on different conversion settings (or locations e.g. DVD drive / external media) and playing around with them can give you different CPU loads.
    When helping other users, I will always suggest a GUI solution first.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
    Encoding video is one of the most stressful things you can ask your computer to do. It is a good way to expose hardware faults. A lockup can be caused by a number of things. Overheating (inadequate cooling), bad memory module, inadequate or bad power supply... the list goes on. You should do some stress tests with programs like prime95 and memtest86 to see if you can narrow down the fault.
    memtest86 said:

error: too small lower memory (0x99100 > 0x8f000)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 311005901 View Post
    You might just have a buggy version of Handbrake. Try adding a different PPA (I use the snapshot one with no problems) to see if the new version fixes your issues.

Also, Handbrake can lock up on different conversion settings (or locations e.g. DVD drive / external media) and playing around with them can give you different CPU loads.
    I used that one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you download MemTest or use the one included with Ubuntu. I see that error all the time from the one included in Ubuntu, but the downloaded one usually works okay.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Did you download MemTest or use the one included with Ubuntu. I see that error all the time from the one included in Ubuntu, but the downloaded one usually works okay.
    I ran both. The one from Ubuntu had the error. The one downloaded finished 1 pass without any errors. When I have the time, I'll run the downloaded one again it have it go all the way through. I had work to do earlier so I stopped it during the second pass. How many passes are there?

Beans
    Distro

Unhappy Re: Handbrake locks up system

I did notice that Memtest said I had 1066 MHz ram. I am supposed to have 1600 MHz. Was the given the wrong thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wouldn't trust MemTest to give accurate clock speeds of anything. It may get your processor right, but beyond that, I haven't found it to be particularly reliable on that. You can trust it to detect how much RAM you have, but beyond that, only the test results are super accurate.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast