Thread: A doubt reguarding animation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A doubt reguarding animation.

Well, I dunno if this can be posted here.
    But, I will complete my 12th after a few months.
    I want to take animation as a career.
    I just want your opinion on the matter.
    If there are any animators out there, I'm asking is
    whether if it has scope.
    I'd be happy if I got a little more info on the matter.

Beans

Re: A doubt reguarding animation.

I never heard of any one having a degree in Animation. I think thats just a learned trade. But a degree in Art and CAD may be more of what your looking for. Possible a Associate in Art and a Major in CAD or vice versa.

I could be wrong tho..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Animator as in web, or cartoons, or 3D animation (Pixar)?

For 2D animation it looks like a lot of people are moving to Flash, and seems very prevalent. We no longer have the cartoons that would be on the air for 10 years, but you have a season to make your mark.

Web animation seems to be in demand, but I hear from a lot of graphic designers that it's hard to find work.

3D animation is growing still and is really booming. More animation studios are being made to produce more and more 3D animated films and more animators are being hired to make them faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    Animator as in web, or cartoons, or 3D animation (Pixar)?

For 2D animation it looks like a lot of people are moving to Flash, and seems very prevalent. We no longer have the cartoons that would be on the air for 10 years, but you have a season to make your mark.

Web animation seems to be in demand, but I hear from a lot of graphic designers that it's hard to find work.

3D animation is growing still and is really booming. More animation studios are being made to produce more and more 3D animated films and more animators are being hired to make them faster.

I'm planning to study 3D animation.

Will it really have scope after 4-5 years?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by abnordude View Post

Yes. That kind of tech doesn't change that fast. You'll probably even see it used more because actors don't have to care what they look like.

Modelling and animating techniques will probably stay the same for a long time. The things that will change will be what the software does with your input. Quality will get better, there will be advances in 3D with or without glasses, and maybe way down the road we'll see things with holograms. But I think modelling and animating techniques won't change that much.

The question is how easy will it be to find work and how hard will the competition be? This skill can be used for movies, games, and lots of things.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by abnordude View Post

I actually see the field of animation growing tremendously. Advertising, concerts, plays, games, movies, and television all make use of CGI/animation to some extent.

For example, all of the local TV stations in my area have a graphics department and make heavy use of animations, especially for newscasts. It's fast-paced and can be very stressful, but for a young college student all that on-the-fly creativity could be an excellent training ground (might check in your area to see if any are hiring part-time).

I know an architect firm that creates 3-d animated videos of high-end homes for clients, so they can see how things will look, and any design changes they might want...right down to the landscaping. The person they hired for doing their animations won the job by having a good eye for details and design, not by being the best at using the tools.

So, while you are learning the tools, be sure to include classes in design and color. Photography classes can also be very helpful. Sometimes you'll have to find your own reference materials, and good photography skills can be invaluable.

Sure, the competition is tough, but those who develop their own, unique style, and the ability to reliably carry a project through from start to finish, are always in great demand. When you've earned that kind of trust, you'll have more work than you can handle.

If you believe animation is what you truly want to do, build your portfolio, be prepared to starve a bit in the early years, and always challenge yourself to try new things.

Never, never, never be afraid of making mistakes, they can be the best parts of exploring your creativity. Because, quite often, in the midst of those so-called "mistakes" can be the gem of a great idea.

I wish you great success, in the long term - if you persevere - working in a creative field can be grandly satisfying and fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dont forget that movie CGI is mostly animation work. Many schools now offer art degrees with focus on computer use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Animation, like drawing and painting, is more of an art. Things like Linux certs exist, but are mainly laughed at by those with the skills. If you want to make a career out of it, pioneer it and do it, make something, post it on YouTube. If it is any good, you will get noticed. If it is great you will have a job. Quit being a wuss and if this is truly your passion, live it. Don't wait on the expectations of others. Don't cut corners, be it. Don't care about my opinion of whether you should or not, but be great. Accept constructive criticism and ignore the trolls in life that tell you that you suck. Sure it might suck when compared to other's work, but that's just it, it is your work. Any future works will only be better than your past work. Thats art, life and everything in general. Sure you will screw up, but how can you learn without making mistakes. I believe life is a painting and the mistakes are the dark lines that define the best features. Nobody really cares about the dark lines if they surround the colors and lighter portions of that picture. Be it bro don't talk about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.wortman View Post
    Animation, like drawing and painting, is more of an art. Things like Linux certs exist, but are mainly laughed at by those with the skills. If you want to make a career out of it, pioneer it and do it, make something, post it on YouTube. If it is any good, you will get noticed. If it is great you will have a job. Quit being a wuss and if this is truly your passion, live it. Don't wait on the expectations of others. Don't cut corners, be it. Don't care about my opinion of whether you should or not, but be great. Accept constructive criticism and ignore the trolls in life that tell you that you suck. Sure it might suck when compared to other's work, but that's just it, it is your work. Any future works will only be better than your past work. Thats art, life and everything in general. Sure you will screw up, but how can you learn without making mistakes. I believe life is a painting and the mistakes are the dark lines that define the best features. Nobody really cares about the dark lines if they surround the colors and lighter portions of that picture. Be it bro don't talk about it.
    Wow. I really like your words.
    It gives me more inspiration to be an animator.

I'll try very hard for it.