Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

For anyone following this thread and having as much trouble as I am, here is what I have accomplished so far:

The compiler error /wacom_serial/wacom_serial.c:144: error: implicit declaration of function 'input_abs_set_res' occurs at line 144 in the source. The same 'input_abs_set_res' is also used on lines 145, 175 and 176. To verify that this is not a secondary error, I commented out those four lines. The compiler completed successfully. There were warnings of course because now the code has holes in it. But, it does prove that the original error is valid.

When I get this thing worked out the fix will posted here. User Tokenrove has done a fine job of giving us Wacom protocol 4 users a chance of working with our tablets again. It will be a fitting 'Thank You' to him if we can report success.

Beans

Visioner- I just got it working on 12.04, well, I'm still working out the extents- but otherwise the cursor wiggles in the right directions.

I couldn't attach to ttyS0, I had to use a USB/serial port cable I had laying around, but 'yay!' I think there probably is an answer in the 50 pages of comments in here.

I had compile errors until ran apt-get for the following build/toolchain:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libxinerama-dev libncurses5-dev xutils-dev autoconf libtool pkg-config libudev-dev

which I copied blindly from another post somewhere related to building kernel drivers.

I did have to build the patch by hand as the inputattach source had changed, but it isn't much of a big deal.

Beans

Jaytho,

Congratulations and welcome here. It is encouraging to hear of your success. This thread is great information. I studied it for days before posting, and still am.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nice job jaytho! And Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

Hi Visioneer,

I haven't looked at using tokenrove's "crippled" wacom_serial.ko for Lucid and Maverick in quite a while. I gather what you decided to do was use his latest version and comment out the same four 'input_abs_set_res'. So please let me know how it works once you get it working.

Beans

Iḿ having a strange problem or have forgotten something obvious as I can seem to get ubunto to recognise my serial tablet.

Tablet Model: ET-0405-R
    Linux version : Ubuntu Studio 12.10 : 3.5.0-21-lowlatency

What I have done :
    1. Downloaded wacom_serial-120327-1.tar
    2.In wacom_serial.c
    #define SERIO_WACOM_IV 0x3e 3. in serio-ids.h: # define SERIO_WACOM_IV 0x3e
    make all sudo cp inputattach /usr/bin sudo cp wacom_serial.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet sudo depmod -a cd ..5. updated 70-serial-wacom.rules

ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ENV{PRODUCT}=='13/3d/*', ENV{NAME}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet", SYMLINK="input/wacom", ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1"6.
    sudo cp 70-serial-wacom.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/70-serial-wacom.rules 7.
    sudo inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/ttyS0
    Process runs but no output

8. expected cursor to move with pen or mouse puck but nothing even after a reboot

sudo dmesg | grep ttyS
    gives :

[ 0.249034] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    [ 0.310025] serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
    [ 0.376024] 00:07: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    [ 0.437023] 00:08: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
    [ 1690.665375] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    [ 1690.685349] input: TSC-10/25/40 Serial TouchScreen as /devices/pnp0/00:07/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input4
    [ 4125.880979] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    [ 4125.881160] input: TSC-10/25/40 Serial TouchScreen as /devices/pnp0/00:07/tty/ttyS0/serio3/input/input5
    [ 9841.610030] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    [ 9841.610188] input: TSC-10/25/40 Serial TouchScreen as /devices/pnp0/00:07/tty/ttyS0/serio4/input/input6
    [10081.622078] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    [10081.622244] input: TSC-10/25/40 Serial TouchScreen as /devices/pnp0/00:07/tty/ttyS0/serio5/input/input7

lsmod gives :tsc40 12579 0

So Iḿ guessing I missed an obvious step any ideas ?

Thanks

Beans

Of course

13/3d should be 13/3e but linux still thinks a TSC is connected

updated 70-serial-wacom.rules

ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ENV{PRODUCT}=='13/3e/*', ENV{NAME}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet", SYMLINK="input/wacom", ENV{ID_INPUT}="1", ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1"6.
    sudo cp 70-serial-wacom.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/70-serial-wacom.rules 7.

also edited serio.h.patch to changed the 0x3e

But noted that
    ls /etc/udev/rules.d/
    40-timer-permissions.rules 70-persistent-net.rules README
    70-persistent-cd.rules 70-serial-wacom.rules
    Is it a problem with three rule 70´s?

Also tried disabling tsc40.ko
    sudo mv tsc40.ko. tsc40.ko.bak
    gives
    sudo dmesg | grep ttyS0
    [ 0.250021] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    [ 0.376030] 00:07: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
    [ 1441.204982] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    Last edited by aMusicUser; December 23rd, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added mising info

Beans
    Distro

Hi aMusicUser,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

To simplify things for yourself just don't use the udev rule for the wacom_serial.ko. It is not needed. You are right that it needs to be changed as you did. That's covered in some posts back a few pages. But really there isn't any reason to use the rule typically.

I'm guessing the reason tsc40.ko keeps showing up is you didn't make the change from d to e somewhere. You just think you did. Maybe you needed to run make clean before recompiling? Or you copied the wrong serial_wacom.ko or forgot to copy the new serial_wacom.ko into place?

Here's slightly different version of the serial HOW TO. Looking at it may help.

Beans

Talking Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Thanks I went back and cleaned my system up as below and now it works ))

Function report Graphire Model ET-0405-R
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -Pen seems to work with gimp and my paint
    -Tip and eraser respond to pressure in My paint
    -Gimp has artifacts on screen due to redraw

-Eraser does not erase

-Tablet mouse Model : EC-100-00 uses Graphire tablet.
    -Cursor moves but none of the buttons respond <- not a big deal just thought you would like to know.

__________________________________________________ ______________________
    # make sure we are really clean in the system
    make clean

sudo mv /usr/bin/inputattach /usr/bin/inputattach.old

sudo rm /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom_serial.ko

sudo apt-get update
    # use lower case x 11 instead of uppercase
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev libxrandr-dev libncurses5-dev xutils-dev autoconf libtool pkg-config libudev-dev

sudo apt-get upgrade

grep 3d *
    # should be blank
    grep 3e *
    # should give
    # 70-serial-wacom.rules:ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ENV{PRODUCT}=='13/3e/*', ENV{NAME}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet",SYMLINK+="input/wacom",ENV{ID_INPUT}="1",ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1"
    # serio.h.patch:+#define SERIO_WACOM_IV 0x3e
    # serio-ids.h:# define SERIO_WACOM_IV 0x3e
    # wacom_serial.c:#define SERIO_WACOM_IV 0x3e
    # wacom_serial.mod.c: { 0xb1d9523e, "wait_for_completion_timeout" },

make all

sudo cp inputattach /usr/bin

sudo cp wacom_serial.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet
    sudo depmod -a
    # Do not need these rules
    ##sudo cp 70-serial-wacom.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/70-serial-wacom.rules

sudo inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/ttyS0

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi aMusicUser,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

To simplify things for yourself just don't use the udev rule for the wacom_serial.ko. It is not needed. You are right that it needs to be changed as you did. That's covered in some posts back a few pages. But really there isn't any reason to use the rule typically.

I'm guessing the reason tsc40.ko keeps showing up is you didn't make the change from d to e somewhere. You just think you did. Maybe you needed to run make clean before recompiling? Or you copied the wrong serial_wacom.ko or forgot to copy the new serial_wacom.ko into place?

Here's slightly different version of the serial HOW TO. Looking at it may help.

Beans
    Distro

Looks good. Nice job!

Thanks for the report on function. That's useful for tokenrove.
    Eraser does not erase
    Are you assigning the eraser to the eraser tool in Gimp?
    Cursor moves but none of the buttons respond
    I'm pretty sure the mouse buttons should work with tokenrove's latest wacom_serial. You might want to look into that a bit more. See man wacom and man xsetwacom in a terminal. For example you might want to query the mouse/puck buttons:
    Code:
    xsetwacom get <device name> Button 2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

I have this working on Precise, with (what I am pretty sure is) an UltraPad (doesn't say what model it is anywhere on it and the box went out long ago), and it works almost perfectly. However, the pen has a button that rocks both ways.

Rocking the button forward actives the middle mouse button (and the nib activates the left mouse button), but rocking the button back doesn't activate the right mouse button / context menu (as it used to way back when I used this tablet on Feisty). Instead rocking it back activates the eraser, and in the input devices>hardware tab in Inkscape it only shows two buttons, and flips the icon of the pen to an eraser when I rock the button back. (This button doesn't work in gimp either, or function as context menu anywhere.)

Anyone have any ideas how to get it working? (I can use xsetwacom to set button 2 to rmb/context menu, but I'd like to get the extra button working! )

Thanks.

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast