Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

@ dreh,

So we need tokenrove to explain what that part of the rule is doing or else udevadmin dump and see if we can figure it out. You can guess what I favor.

Hi tushantin,

What Wacom tablet and model do you have? If it is a usb tablet this HOW TO doesn't apply. And you can get information by entering:
    Code:
    lsusb
    in a terminal and looking for (and posting) the tablet line.

Whatever you have Pressure should be working. What application lacks pressure?

Beans
    Distro

I think you remember my problem; remember "Wacom Bamboo One", with the pressure maxing out at a certain level and restarting? Breaking the lines?

As for my model, hitting "lsusb" gives me:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 056a:006b Wacom Co., Ltd

Beans
    Distro

Yes I do remember now that you have reminded me. We should be able to get it working. Do you mind starting another thread for the Bamboo One? I'd appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Yes I do remember now that you have reminded me. We should be able to get it working. Do you mind starting another thread for the Bamboo One? I'd appreciate it.
    Alright; You'd like me to post the same queries in that post?

Beans
    Distro

Yes please.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    @ dreh,

So we need tokenrove to explain what that part of the rule is doing or else udevadmin dump and see if we can figure it out. You can guess what I favor.
    I don't know too much about udev rules, to be honest, but it seems to be common to match on the product ID when it's available -- probably much faster and more accurate than trying to match by name. However, it should be a double = (==), not single = as I appear to be distributing it. That was actually a typo. Oops. So I guess it's been matching on name all this time. This is something I need to review, evidently.

I'm going to try to look at getting appropriate patches to linux-input in the next week so these most recent hassles can go away sooner. Maybe pad buttons this weekend, too.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    # Attach Wacom W8001 devices
     SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", ATTRS{id}=="FUJ02e5", ACTION=="add|change", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --daemon --baud 19200 --w8001 /dev/%k"
     SUBSYSTEM=="tty", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", ATTRS{id}=="WACf00c", ACTION=="add|change", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --daemon --baud 38400 --w8001 /dev/%k"
    # Attach Wacom legacy protocol IV serial tablets 
     SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ACTION=="add|change", ENV{PRODUCT}=='13/3d/*', ENV{NAME}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet",SYMLINK+="input/wacom",ENV{ID_INPUT}="1",ENV{ID_INPUT_TABLET}="1", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/%k"
    This is not working for me

What would the id be? I'm guessing this is the call for the id: ATTRS{id}=="FUJ02e5". What does this do: KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*"?

I'm guessing maybe something like this could work:
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*", ATTRS{id}=="Wacom protocol IV serial tablet", ACTION=="add|change", RUN+="/lib/udev/inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/%k"

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    udevadm info -a -p  $(udevadm info -q path -n /dev/ttyS0)

Udevadm info starts with the device specified by the devpath and then
    walks up the chain of parent devices. It prints for every device
    found, all possible attributes in the udev rules key format.
    A rule to match, can be composed by the attributes of the device
    and the attributes from one single parent device.

looking at device '/devices/pnp0/00:08/tty/ttyS0':
        KERNEL=="ttyS0"
        SUBSYSTEM=="tty"
        DRIVER==""

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0/00:08':
        KERNELS=="00:08"
        SUBSYSTEMS=="pnp"
        DRIVERS=="serial"
        ATTRS{id}=="PNP0501"

looking at parent device '/devices/pnp0':
        KERNELS=="pnp0"
        SUBSYSTEMS==""
        DRIVERS==""
    I'm not really sure what I should make out of this. Is ATTRS{id}=="PNP0501" the tablet or is this the serial connector on my computer?

Beans
    Distro

sudo udevadm info --path=/devices/pnp0/00:08/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input5 --query=all
    Code:
    P: /devices/pnp0/00:08/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input5
    E: ABS=1000003
    E: DEVPATH=/devices/pnp0/00:08/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input5
    E: EV=b
    E: ID_INPUT=1
    E: ID_INPUT_TABLET=1
    E: ID_SERIAL=noserial
    E: KEY=c43 0 0 0 0 0
    E: MODALIAS=input:b0013v003Ep0000e5544-e0,1,3,k140,141,146,14A,14B,ra0,1,18,mlsfw
    E: NAME="Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet"
    E: PHYS="ttyS0/serio0/input0"
    E: PRODUCT=13/3e/0/5544
    E: PROP=0
    E: SUBSYSTEM=input
    E: UDEV_LOG=3
    E: USEC_INITIALIZED=50911311

Beans
    Distro

Hi tokenrove,

My fault, I spotted the typo a while ago (appendix 2) and I guess I forgot to tell you.

Excellent dreh!

Now we know for sure tokenrove is matching to the ID:
    Code:
    PRODUCT=13/3e/0/5544
    and so I was right it should be ENV{PRODUCT}=='13/3e/*'. Apparently there is a duplicative match with ENV{NAME} which is why using 3d is working for you. I think this means we can get rid of one of them. Tokenrove is telling us an ID match is better than a name match.
    Is ATTRS{id}=="PNP0501" the tablet or is this the serial connector on my computer?
    "PNP0501" is actually a generic serial driver/module, the one that handles most, if not all, legacy Wacom serial tablets. It used to be a loadable module but after upstream rewrote it Ubuntu made it a built-in last I checked. We were using it as an ersatz PnP ID for Wacom legacy serial tablets (since they don't have a real PnP ID) in .fdi files with HAL. You can get away with that as long as the Wacom tablet is the only device using "PNP0501".
    What would the id be? I'm guessing this is the call for the id: ATTRS{id}=="FUJ02e5".
    Yes, the PnP ID's for ISDV4 tablet PC's start with FUJ for Fujitsu and WAC for all other serial tablet PC's.
    What does this do: KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]*"?
    That matches the serial port. The [0-9] is a range which is allowed. So as long as the port number is one of the numbers in the range it will match. If you had a range of [0-4] (you could also write it as [01234]) the match would be made to ttyS0 or ttyS1 etc. but not ttyS5 or higher.

For up to date ISDV4 serial rules: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...iles_with_udev I give you a useful link there for writing udev rules which I'll duplicate: http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

The serial rules were changed about a year ago when a udev expert came through and explained that the serial rules the Linux Wacom Project (actually Fedora/RedHat) had been using up to then were wrong. And in certain situations they could be bad, bad, bad. His explanation was pretty esoteric but the upshot is Peter Hutterer rewrote them in compliance to what he was telling us. Unfortunately I don't think I ever totally followed things. The udev expert did help me a little when I was trying to come up with the serial5 rule, so I think I'm probably on the right track with it.

Page 41 of 56 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast