Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

After running sudo ./inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/ttyS0, which is still failing with:
    inputattach: invalid mode '-–wacom_iv'
    and nothing appears in my kern.log. No sign of anything to do with Wacom since booting up.
    But I do see signs of life from previous days:
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.614403] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.676859] input (null): Wacom tablet: Digitizer II, version 1.5
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.676863] input (null): Max pressure: 255.
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.714715] input (null): Configuration string: ~RE202C900,002,02,1270,1270
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.737523] input (null): Coordinates string: ~C15240,15240
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.737645] input: Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet as /devices/pnp0/00:06/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input6

I had my suspicions about baud rates also.
    Using CuteCom, with device set to /dev/ttyS0, I tried various baud rates while moving the pen on the tablet.
    At 9600 and up to about 38400 the output looked varied but at 115200 the output was all zeros.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bruis View Post
    After running sudo ./inputattach --wacom_iv /dev/ttyS0, which is still failing with:
    inputattach: invalid mode '-–wacom_iv'
    and nothing appears in my kern.log. No sign of anything to do with Wacom since booting up.
    Okay, this suggests that somehow the wrong version of inputattach is being run. Make sure the md5sum of the .c file matches:
    0cfc5eebd39abd26c61ea3fcd43c82b0 src/wacom_serial/inputattach.c
    remove the inputattach binary and recompile it. The above can only happen if an unmodified inputattach is being used (maybe the patch in the directory got applied by accident, and assumed -R?).

As for below:

Quote Originally Posted by bruis View Post
    But I do see signs of life from previous days:
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.614403] serio: Serial port ttyS0
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.676859] input (null): Wacom tablet: Digitizer II, version 1.5
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.676863] input (null): Max pressure: 255.
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.714715] input (null): Configuration string: ~RE202C900,002,02,1270,1270
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.737523] input (null): Coordinates string: ~C15240,15240
    Mar 7 06:43:09 celtic kernel: [ 2552.737645] input: Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet as /devices/pnp0/00:06/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input6
    This looks good; if you can get back to this state again (as I suggested: not putting inputattach in the background, not starting it from any scripts, just getting it running in the foreground) we can move forward to seeing why X isn't liking it.

Baud rates should have nothing to do with it for this tablet -- it's a newer ROM version than mine (1.5 instead of 1.4) but otherwise should be quite similar.

Beans

There's good news and not so good news.
    Not so good first. The behavior of the PC that I have been using has got very flaky. Looks like the graphics card is on the way out so checking out inputattach as you suggest will have to wait a day or two.

The good news is that my tablet is running nicely on my backup PC. It's Oneiric Kubuntu with the latest wacom-serial.ko and I am testing in MyPaint. Pressure is working nicely and the drawing speed is more than fast enough.

I have not yet installed any xorg.conf or rules, not even 70-serial-wacom.rules.
    I assume a 50-wacom.conf in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is involved in things.

I am happy to supply any logs or further details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry to hear about your video card but the UD working on the backup PC is good news.

You can check things out quickly by posting the output of xinput list. Then using the stylus <device name> from that output post the output of:
    Code:
    xinput list-props "device name"
    I assume wacom_serial is showing in lsmod.

Beans

The second day and the UD1212 is still running OK.
    How well is yet to be determined but some preliminary sketching in Gimp is promising.

I have started inputattach in a terminal several times now and success depends on either letting it 'hang' or closing the terminal. Ctrl-C stops inputattach and adding '&' does nothing but return a number.

I'll try 70-serial-wacom.rules as soon as I'm familiar enough with the current situation to notice any changes.

From the attachment you will see that xinput list-props "device name" has not worked but everything else that I could think of did.

Many thanks to tokenrove and Favux.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi bruis,

Thanks for the diagnostics. Looking pretty good.

With list-props you have to put the "device name" in quotes:
    Code:
    xinput list-props "Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus"
    Sorry I wasn't clear.

The ampersand is for use of inputattach in rc.local. Run in the terminal with sudo it is a running process dependent on the terminal which is why Ctrl-C stops it. Closing the terminal would stop it too.

Just for fun why don't you open a second terminal and run top. I'm curious if wacom_serial uses much memory, or even enough to be seen in the top 10 or 20. Does it use noticeably more when the stylus is on the tablet? And if it shows you can watch it disappear when you Ctrl-C inputattach.

Beans

Thanks, input list-prop worked. Very interesting.
    Am I looking for something with wacom in top? If so there no sign of it in the list.
    The list does go off the terminal window so I assume its just out of sight?

My tablet stays active when I close the terminal. So far.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

[QUOTE=tokenrove;11750223]Okay, this suggests that somehow the wrong version of inputattach is being run. Make sure the md5sum of the .c file matches:
    0cfc5eebd39abd26c61ea3fcd43c82b0 src/wacom_serial/inputattach.c
    remove the inputattach binary and recompile it. The above can only happen if an unmodified inputattach is being used (maybe the patch in the directory got applied by accident, and assumed -R?).

Back at my main PC.
    Tried md5sum and it was good. Tried new compile. Still getting invalid mode '--wacom_iv'
    For the last hour or so I have been trying to find what relevant differences between my recalcitrant PC and the PC with the working UD1212 might exist.
    Now I have found that when inputattach --help is run there is a --wacom_iv entry with the working PC but not with the other one.

Beans

Hi,

I've updated the Wacom IV driver again. The current version can be found at:
    http://cipht.net/releases/wacom_serial-120327-1.tar.bz2

Notably, I think this fixes some issues with the eraser I've been having. I would appreciate it if anyone with a protocol 4 tablet could try this driver and let me know: (email julian@cipht.net or post here)
    1) Does the eraser work? Is it recognized as a separate tool in Gimp? (with the input devices window open)
    2) Does your pen register touch before you have actually made contact with the surface of the tablet? (I received a bug report and patch for this behavior, which doesn't occur for me in current versions of the driver. I'd like to determine whether it happens for anyone else on the current version.)
    3) Do you have a puck? Does it work? How about when you switch between the puck and the pen without leaving the tablet surface?
    4) Do you have any use for the pad buttons on the tablet? Do you know any software that makes use of them? (Pad button support is easy enough to add, but I haven't bothered for lack of compelling reasons to add it.)

If I don't hear from anyone with a Graphire, I'm going to remove that code from the driver. After that, I'm going to try to get this integrated into the kernel mainline.

Thanks to everyone, especially Favux for maintaining this thread.

Beans

For some reason the forum hadn't send any emails all this time about this issue being updated. It did just know.

I'll look into the last 3-4 pages that I've lost and see where this is going.
    I do not have me Penpartner connected but I can plug it in to test the new drivers

Page 35 of 56 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast