Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

I've noticed that the inputattach command to be put in rc.default does not work on my system - unless I append a "&" to the line, allowing it to return. This might be good for the HOWTO on the first page

I furthermore have yet to see the eraser on my pen moving the pointer, much less actually erasing anything in krita or Gimp. (The Gimp is still quite useless in Oneiric as the pen is not used as such by default, and when enabled (in windowed mode) it keeps jumping to the top and right hand side - smearing the drawing)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hmmm. Xinput is claiming the puck/cursor buttons do nothing i.e. aren't assigned:
    Code:
    Wacom Button Actions (273):	"None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0), "None" (0)
    But at least you have 16 buttons available! Unfortunately xsetwacom all didn't tell us what button mapping xsetwacom is seeing. So we'll have to get them one at a time. Enter these three commands:
    Code:
    xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor" Button 1
    xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor" Button 2
    xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor" Button 3
    and post the output associated with each button. There are 3 buttons correct? Is the middle button clicking the scroll wheel? Depending on what we see could try mapping the puck buttons with either xsetwacom (or Options in a xorg.conf.d wacom.conf?) or xinput.
    Results are 1, 2 and 3, respectively.

This mouse has 4 buttons, 5 if you count the middle-click on the scroll wheel.

Changed monitors and the tablet stopped working again. Ran through the install and it was back to normal. Easily fixed, but I would like to know what's causing that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Oneiric with Intuos (the first series) and wacom_serial5.ko,

Having got the pen to work in Lucid Lynx I tried again with Oneiric. At first I tried with xorg.conf and then with 52-wacom-options.

I won't bore you with the journey, but the driver disappeared and I had to insmod it back. With configuration in either xorg.conf or 52-wacom-options the mouse (cursor) moves around as with Lucid, but the buttons don't work. I hate using the mouse and so this is a great bonus!

The pen and stylus have a major drawback. The first time I got it going, Gimp defaulted to the pen being paintbrush and the eraser being eraser. The pen worked with pressure sensitivity, but the pen trace kept darting back to random co-ordinates down the left-hand-side leaving a tracery of lines in the image. The erase seems to work as intended.

Neither pen nor eraser work as left-click and thus neither stylus nor erase can be assigned to another tool in Gimp. The second time I got it working (via 52-wacom-options) the pen had defaulted to the 'Move' tool. It moves the image, but it no longer darts to a L-H-S co-ordinate.

xsetwacom is working fine and lists the device. However, I don't know if any of the settings will restore correct stylus and eraser operation. I am wondering if setting one of the buttons to emulate a left-click would be a short term work-around.

:~$ xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus" Button 1
    button +1
    :~$ xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus" Button 2
    button +1
    :~$ xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus" Button 3
    button +3
    :~$ xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser" Button 1
    button +1
    :~$ xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser" Button 2
    button +1
    :~$ xsetwacom get "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser" Button 3
    button +3
    The top position of the (rocking) pen button works as a right-hand mouse click. The bottom position is being detected, but I am not quite sure what it is emulating. Both the touch of the stylus/eraser and the operation of the lower button act to pull down menus and 'select' menu items. They also appear to 'operate' the Gimp tool icons, but no tool icon nor menu item can actually be launched.

It is the same with the desktop and other programs. Clicking on the KDE 'K' (menu) button brings up the 'Favourite' applications and the icons can be 'rolled over', but a tap on an icon fails to launch the application. A tap, or the lower button, will cause a slight shake of the selection, but that is all.

I never worked out how the buttons were numbered in xsetwacom and so I have sent the results for the first three in the hope that I have covered both.

Any observations gratefully received.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi mpGoodwin,

The ampersand fix is now in the HOW TO, thanks.

@ mpGoodwin and royleith,

There is a bug, call it the Button 1 1 bug, in current xf86-input-wacoms. This is because a button release function that xsetwacom uses in wcmCommon.c didn't get a name update in the big switch over to valuators a while ago. This causes that rapid cursor jump. So if you use a xsetwacom set command with Button 1 1 for the stylus or eraser, i.e.:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "stylus device name" Button 1 1
    You break left click and if you grab a window and move it it flies off when released.

Since Button 1 1 for the stylus tip and eraser are the driver defaults there is really no reason to restate them in xsetwacom commands. So if you've done that just comment them out or remove them as a temporary fix. To actually fix it go into the xf86-input-wacom source code before you compile it (appendix 1). In wcmCommon.c around line #258 change:
    Code:
    						xf86PostButtonEvent(pInfo->dev,
    to
    Code:
    						xf86PostButtonEventP(pInfo->dev,
    So it reads like:
    Code:
     					if (countPresses(btn_no, &keys[i], nkeys - i))
    						xf86PostButtonEventP(pInfo->dev,
     								is_absolute(pInfo), btn_no,
     								0, first_val, num_val,
     								VCOPY(valuators, num_val));
    Yep, it was a 'P' that was left out. Then go ahead and compile it.

@ luminol and royleith,

Alright, that's two Intuous' using wacom_serial5.ko's where the mouse buttons don't work and one where they do. Unless the above fix fixes your buttons we'll need to ask Roadlfre to take a look at this.

Also because Button's 4 through 7 are reserved for scrolling (Buttons 4 & 5 for vertical and 6 & 7 for horizontal) the Button assignments might be 1, 2, 3, 8, etc. But Buttons 1 though 3 should be unaffected on the puck.

Hi royleith,

Your other issue in Gimp is a known bug in Oneiric. See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mp/+bug/863154. Deevad says using the 'Xorg Edger' ppa fixes it. If true then hopefully an update that will fix this bug is pending. Sure hope so.

With the stylus side buttons Button 2 is middle click (2) and Button 3 is right click (3). After user request they actually reversed the assignments in the driver with Button 2 3 and Button 3 2, since most people like it that way.

I think that's most of your issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

@Favux

Yes, Yes, YES!... erm, yes it worked.

I recompiled the wcmCommon.c in the patched version of xf86-input-wacom after adding the 'P'. In my file the code you quoted did not appear and so I just did the reckless thing and modified all nine appearances of the phrase xf86PostButtonEvent.

Now, stylus and eraser work fine. I launched Gimp with the pen and started a new document. The Gimp problem was still there just as reported in the bugs page you quoted.

The puck has not changed. It moves the cursor around, but none of the buttons work. Please don't put it right or I will have to start using it, again.

I'm not too fretful about the Gimp problem, atm, as I have a more major problem with my various Oneiric installs: I cannot get my HP laser printer to work. Yes, I cannot get a Postscript printer to work on Linux!

Anyway, many congrats on the Wacom serial tablet front and on the Bamboo front, as well.

Regards
    Roy Leith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

As reported, I had my serial Intuos 2 working in Oneiric ... until today.

Yesterday it still worked, now the tablet is ignored. A manual
    Code:
    inputattach
    is answered with
    Code:
    inputattach: device initialization failed

The only changes on my system I'm aware of are a bunch of updates, mainly of project-neon packages from a PPA. All KDE related, only installed to take a look at the recent Krita Beta. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been any single update to any xserver related package. Still the same kernel version. I checked the cable and plug, seems to be fine.

Any ideas?

Xorg.0.log contains:
    Code:
    [    24.278] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet (/dev/input/mouse1)
    [    24.278] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
    [    24.278] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet (/dev/input/event4)
    [    24.278] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    [    24.278] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
    [    24.278] (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    [    24.279] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    [    24.294] (II) Module wacom: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [    24.294] 	compiled for 1.10.4, module version = 0.11.0
    [    24.294] 	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    [    24.294] 	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 12.3
    [    24.294] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet'
    [    24.294] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    [    24.294] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet: always reports core events
    [    24.294] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    [    24.294] (II) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet: type not specified, assuming 'stylus'.
    [    24.294] (II) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet: other types will be automatically added.
    [    24.294] (--) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: using pressure threshold of 27 for button 1
    [    24.295] (--) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: Wacom USB Intuos1 tablet maxX=30480 maxY=31680 maxZ=1023 resX=100000 resY=100000  tilt=enabled
    [    24.295] (II) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: hotplugging dependent devices.
    [    24.295] (II) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: hotplugging completed.
    [    24.328] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input4/event4"
    [    24.328] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus" (type: STYLUS)
    [    24.328] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
    [    24.328] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: (accel) acceleration profile 0
    [    24.328] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
    [    24.328] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet stylus: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
    [    24.328] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    [    24.328] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
    [    24.328] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser'
    [    24.328] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    [    24.328] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: always reports core events
    [    24.328] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    [    24.328] (--) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: Wacom USB Intuos1 tablet maxX=30480 maxY=31680 maxZ=1023 resX=100000 resY=100000  tilt=enabled
    [    24.344] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input4/event4"
    [    24.344] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser" (type: ERASER)
    [    24.344] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
    [    24.344] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: (accel) acceleration profile 0
    [    24.344] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
    [    24.344] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet eraser: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
    [    24.344] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    [    24.344] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
    [    24.344] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor'
    [    24.344] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    [    24.344] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: always reports core events
    [    24.344] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    [    24.344] (--) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: Wacom USB Intuos1 tablet maxX=30480 maxY=31680 maxZ=1023 resX=100000 resY=100000  tilt=enabled
    [    24.360] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input4/event4"
    [    24.360] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor" (type: CURSOR)
    [    24.360] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
    [    24.360] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: (accel) acceleration profile 0
    [    24.360] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
    [    24.360] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet cursor: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
    [    24.360] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    [    24.360] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
    [    24.360] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad'
    [    24.360] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    [    24.360] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: always reports core events
    [    24.360] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    [    24.360] (--) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: Wacom USB Intuos1 tablet maxX=30480 maxY=31680 maxZ=1023 resX=100000 resY=100000  tilt=enabled
    [    24.376] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pnp0/00:0f/tty/ttyS0/serio2/input/input4/event4"
    [    24.376] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad" (type: PAD)
    [    24.376] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
    [    24.376] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: (accel) acceleration profile 0
    [    24.376] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
    [    24.376] (**) Wacom protocol 5 serial tablet pad: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
    [    28.744] Warning: Xalloc: requesting unpleasantly large amount of memory: 0 bytes.
    [    39.347] Warning: Xalloc: requesting unpleasantly large amount of memory: 0 bytes.
    [    45.457] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-CAD9C38809CD0DACE973EEC3AFC1B3B2536F9F90.xkm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

As sudden as it stopped working yesterday, it's working again today. I guess this suggests a loose contact, rather than a software problem.

Sorry for the noise!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@Favux: You mentioned something about Wacom Airbrush verifying? I own one since today. I'll be glad to help.

My setup:
    - Ubutnu Lucid 64bit 2.6.32-34-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP
    - Oneiric 64bit (up-to-date)
    - Wacom Intuos3 6x4" (PTZ-630)
    - Wacom Airbrush (ZP-400E-01A)

I'm not sure which linuxwacom ver. I have on Lucid, I did some fu*k-up recently, but I guess I'm back to 0.10.5-0ubuntu4 (with macroos-1.8-things from HOW-TO I did some while ago, if that makes any difference).

Grip-pen works, Airbrush coords went crazy after reboot, reported constant scrollwheel while in range (when I (re?)installed 0.10.5), but now seems to work... except the wheel...
    xsetwacom list & xinput list don't see Airbrush device.

Same on Oneiric (no airbrush wheel) (I've got default linuxwacom there from distro repos, did't mess around anything there (yet)

Any ideas how to make the wheel work on Lucid at least?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi odd, thanks for volunteering for airbrush testing. Just to be sure your Intuos3 is serial not usb? So the first 3's were also serial tablets?

What we're interested in is does roaldfre's wacom_serial5.ko get the airbrush's scrollwheel working. He thinks his most recent changes should have done the trick. My guess is you need some xsetwacom commands to get it working. I make a stab at it in post #211: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...780154&page=22

These should also apply to the old serial patch to 0.10.6 for Lucid. And a usb tablet for that matter. Although I'm not sure if the Lucid default 0.10.5 would handle it correctly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi odd, thanks for volunteering for airbrush testing. Just to be sure your Intuos3 is serial not usb? So the first 3's were also serial tablets?
    Aww crap - wrong thread, my bad . Mine is USB, so I guess I won't be useful here.

But nevertheless, problem persists in Wacom Intuos3 USB Airbrush pen so... where to look for help? From ubuntuforums search I see that this airbrush toy is either unpopular or problem is not that commont with the wheel.

Page 27 of 56 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast