Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO Set Up a Wacom Serial Tablet in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by roaldfre View Post
    @tokenrove: what do you think would be more appropriate? Supporting both protocols in the same driver, or separate drivers? I'm leaning towards the first option, as pretty much the only thing that needs to be changed is the packet parser. It may get more messy if I try to implement protocolV-specific things, though (eg, there are two channels, apparently, etc)
    My suspicion is that it is only going to get messier as you support multiple channels. Let's not make the same mistakes as the old driver, which clearly evolved piece by piece. Of course, maybe you'll figure out some really elegant way of supporting it all in the same driver; I am eager to be proven wrong.

I'll try to write up what I know about Protocol 4 on the linuxwacom wiki. Maybe you can do the same for protocol 5?

Keep in mind that my plan for the driver I wrote is to actually remove the untested parts if no one comes forward to try them out. I'd rather a simple and clear driver that is well-tested than something that's going to be a maintenance nightmare because I tried to shoehorn in everything from the old code.

Cheers.

Beans

Very good points!

I'm going to remove all protocol 4 related code from my version of your driver and clean things up.
    At the moment it's still in a rather untidy "hack" state, but it should suffice already to give people preliminary functionality of their protocol 5 wacom tablets (all features of my intuos1 work now: stylus/eraser movement, pressure and tilt; mouse movement and buttons).

Now, if I am not mistaken, the only tablets with protocol 5 are the Intuos and the Intuos2, correct? So that means I'll drop all support for other tablets. I'd also need someone with an Intuos2 to test that part of the code.

It is indeed more tidy to keep them separated, and the overlapping pieces of code are not *that* unwieldy to keep in-sync between our versions, I guess. (I do have some experience with projects that have different branches that heavily rely on the same code. They all started diverging too much in that shared code and it now is an incredible mess to get them back together at the same level -- that's what I *really* want to avoid with this driver.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi tokenrove and roaldfre,

Since the wacom_serial.ko is going to be split into a protocol IV and V version, have you thought up the new names yet? Say something on the order of?:

wacom_serial4.ko

wacom_serial5.ko

Beans

Yup, I have already changed the name of my part of the driver to wacom_serial5. Will rename the actual module as well (forgot).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tokenrove View Post
    If you could also include in your message the lines from /var/log/Xorg.0.log that appear after you run inputattach, that would be helpful, too. It should say a bunch of stuff like:
    Xorg.0.log gives this while I inputattach
    Code:
    [ 19480.964] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet (/dev/input/mouse1)
    [ 19480.964] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
    [ 19480.964] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet (/dev/input/event5)
    [ 19480.964] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    [ 19480.964] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
    [ 19480.964] (II) LoadModule: "wacom"
    [ 19480.964] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/wacom_drv.so
    [ 19480.965] (II) Module wacom: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ 19480.965]    compiled for 1.9.0, module version = 0.10.7
    [ 19480.965]    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    [ 19480.965]    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 11.0
    [ 19480.965] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
    [ 19481.040] (II) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet: type not specified, assuming 'stylus'.
    [ 19481.040] (II) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet: other types will be automatically added.
    [ 19481.040] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus: always reports core events
    [ 19481.040] (II) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus: hotplugging dependent devices.
    [ 19481.040] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    [ 19481.040] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
    [ 19481.040] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
    [ 19481.120] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser: always reports core events
    [ 19481.190] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser" (type: ERASER)
    [ 19481.382] (--) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser: using pressure threshold of 27 for button 1
    [ 19481.382] (--) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser: Wacom Unknown USB tablet speed=38400 maxX=22860 maxY=15240 maxZ=255 resX=1016 resY=1016  tilt=enabled
    [ 19481.383] (--) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet eraser: top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=22860 bottom Y=15240 resol X=1016 resol Y=1016
    [ 19481.383] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet cursor: Applying InputClass "evdev tablet catchall"
    [ 19481.383] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet cursor: Applying InputClass "Wacom class"
    [ 19481.383] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event5"
    [ 19481.422] (**) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet cursor: always reports core events
    [ 19481.462] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet cursor" (type: CURSOR)
    [ 19481.462] (--) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet cursor: top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=22860 bottom Y=15240 resol X=1016 resol Y=1016
    [ 19481.463] (II) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus: hotplugging completed.
    [ 19481.582] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus" (type: STYLUS)
    [ 19481.582] (--) Wacom protocol 4 serial tablet stylus: top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=22860 bottom Y=15240 resol X=1016 resol Y=1016
    Xserver Version X.Org X Server 1.9.0. This looks very promising to me. but still no reaction when using the pen
    J.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Johannes,

You still have version 0.10.7 from using the patch sets. Try installing the xf86-input-wacom-0.11.1 tar. See the instructions in part II. b) of the Bamboo P&T HOW TO.

Beans

Hello Favux. Recently I found this forum about configuring wacom serial tablets. At this time I have my old Wacom UD-1212 serial tablet in the wardrobe, and use in my photographic studio an intuos3 A4 usb and a bamboo usb, but I prefer to try using the bigger UD-1212 than the smaller Bamboo.
    As I am not a coder (I'm photographer) and there are more than 10 pages of information in this thread, where are exactly the steps to try work on ubuntu 10.10 with this tablet ?
    Thanks, Roberto

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Johannes,

You still have version 0.10.7 from using the patch sets. Try installing the xf86-input-wacom-0.11.1 tar. See the instructions in part II. b) of the Bamboo P&T HOW TO.
    This did the trick! Tokenroves driver works with my tablet. One nit the eraser doesn't work as expected but maybe I have to get familiar with the new xsetwacom parameters.

Please help me to understand this driver will be possible to use in natty/oneiric with unity? Where could we be in some time - the 2 new serial wacom files will go upstream?

The next days I'm quite busy again but I can maybe find some time in between for testing Favux patches again to see where things broke with the ClickForce/Threshold bug and I can test 10.8 if this is still of interest.
    Johannes
    Last edited by dreh; July 12th, 2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Hi Roberto,

Welcome to Ubuntu forums!

There are now two basic ways to go. You can either use the old serial driver updated for xf86-input-wacom, which is what the HOW TO is about i.e. it shows you how to install the patch sets to add the old driver to xf86-input-wacom. So you use appendix 1 or part I, depending on whether you want a 0.10.6 or a 0.10.7 patch set along with the xorg.conf in part II.

However we now have new serial driver, which in the case of your UD-1212 is tokenrove's new wacom_serial.ko which is for the protocol IV tablets. Instructions are linked up near the top of the HOW TO. We don't quite have instructions written up on how to do that in Maverick yet. But that's what Johannes a.k.a. dreh just finished doing over the last couple of pages.

The two new drivers will be submitted upstream to the Linux Wacom Project for inclusion. Peter Hutterer has already given tentative approval for the way takenrove and roaldfre are doing things. So with luck they may even be available for Oneiric.

Hi Johannes,

Great! Definitely talk about the eraser with tokenrove in more detail. That's the kind of thing he wants feedback on.

And sure, when your not testing for tokenrove we could also work on the patch set. That won't hurt anything and will be fun besides. So I'd like that.

In addition to the pressure problem which Gizmoatwork is also seeing in the 0.10.7 patches are you seeing the loss of the stylus side buttons like he reports?
    Last edited by Favux; July 13th, 2011 at 04:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Excellent! Nice work! Thank you.

I would very much like you to move up the chain to help me find where it gets broken. That will help tell me if I broke it. If I did it I can probably fix it.

I'm assuming v3 for 0.10.6 will work since v2 does. My guess is so will v1 of the 0.10.7 patch set. If it breaks, both stylus side button and pressure, then that would likely mean the problem is with xf86-input-0.10.7. I'm hoping v2 will also work and I broke the side button with v3. That's assuming the pressure problem was introduced by xf86-input-0.10.7 and not the serial patch set for it, which v1 will tell us.
    Ok, so 0.10.6 with [v3] patches works similar than [v2] patches (pressure OK, one fonctionnal side button.
    The problem seems to come from 0.10.7 which I tested with [v1] patches (pressure broken, no side button working).

Let me know If I can be of any further help.

Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast