Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It seems that Desura for Linux is coming along nicely

Beans

It seems that Desura for Linux is coming along nicely

http://www.desura.com/groups/linux-g...ent-we-have-ui

The Linux Engineer of DesuraNET, Keith Poole, has shown off new screenshots of Desura for Linux, apparently running on Ubuntu 10.10(?) and showing off how basic the UI is right now. Well, at least they have a somewhat functional UI. Apparently, even though the Linux client is based on wxWidgets and GTK+ it won't respect your GTK+ theme and use the same appearance as Windows. I guess. Remember, this is still under heavy development and it could end up respecting your GTK theme later on.

If you don't know what Desura is, it's basically like Steam, except all the games are indie games developed by smalltime "companies" or single people in their free time, these games are all DRM-free and many of these games are either free or cost a few bucks, usually $15 or less, sometimes more. It also makes mods easier to access, as DesuraNET also owns ModDB and therefore both the Desura and ModDB communities are heavily tied, whereas with Steam you're on your own when you want to mod your games. Personally, I can't wait until this reaches at least public beta on Linux as it'll be a great stride in establishing Linux as a gaming platform.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: It seems that Desura for Linux is coming along nicely

I would love to see Steam create a Linux flavor. I do love playing Call of Duty with my son. Heck, I love playing it without my son!!!
    Pete "NetDoc" Murray
    NetDoc@ScubaBoard.com
    www.ScubaBoard.com
    The World's LARGEST Dive Community

Beans
    Hidden!

This is great news. If Desura is successful on Linux then this will be motivation for Valve to port Steam to the Linux platform as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I demand that someone visit http://www.desura.com/groups/linux-gamers and become the 300th member of the group. I was 299.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by desktorp View Post
    I demand that someone visit http://www.desura.com/groups/linux-gamers and become the 300th member of the group. I was 299.
    Joined, completely forgot i signed up for it in 2009!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 8_Bit View Post
    This is great news. If Desura is successful on Linux then this will be motivation for Valve to port Steam to the Linux platform as well.
    One can always be hopeful.
    No longer active here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quadunit404 View Post
    One can always be hopeful.

It is almost given that Desura will be successful on the Linux platform due to the fact that it is the only real steam alternative out there - and then we don't need steam anymore.

Quadunit404, I also can't wait till they make it go public. (Beta... I would even kill to get a alpha invite)

This is indeed exciting news.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I can't wait for Desura

I don't give a damn about Steam coming to Linux. Desura started first on Linux, and if games follow it I'll gladly move over. I dislike how Steam runs things despite its good sales discounts ( the only thing that made me buy from it before ).

I'm saving up now for Desura titles, and every new update on their blog keeps me excited!

Beans

I dunno about you guys, but I'm keeping Steam on Windows even after Desura is released. Otherwise, what am I gonna do with the games I have on there already?

I'll be sure to post more entries about the continued development of Desura for Linux. By now they probably have the login form fully functional (they did say in the last post that it was nearly fully-functional) and a UI with a few more widgets so that it looks more like, y'know, how it's supposed to on Windows.

But if it had full GTK+ theme support, I'd kill just to get in the beta, or even alpha. Well, not really, but you know what I mean... right? (it IS using GTK+ as well as wxWidgets, so why not?)
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I cant wait for Desura, although we must remeber that there not porting games (all the games you'll get from them you can get for linux already).

But It will be great to have a Client any how
    -Unity Lover-

Open-Source is a way of LIFE

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast