Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with a version choice (10.10 vs 10.04). Any opinions appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Need help with a version choice (10.10 vs 10.04). Any opinions appreciated.

Hi all. I'm an Ubuntu user for a couple of months now. I don't do anything overly heavy with Ubuntu, just surf the net with Chromium, write assignments for Uni with Libre Office, play around with GIMP, use Rhythmbox for music. I'm currently using 10.10 with XFCE, having tried 11.04 but found it not to my liking. XFCE is fantastic, it's the way for me. I'm wondering about changing release from 10.10 to 10.04 (for the LTS factor, given that this time next year Maverick won't be supported).

My question is, what do you guys recommend in this respect?

1) Should I switch to 10.04 or stay with 10.10?

2) Should I do a full install Ubuntu then add XFCE, or minimal install Ubuntu then add XFCE, or should I go with Xubuntu?

3) If I go Xubuntu or a minimal install, can I add GNOME or KDE later?

Thanks guys, any opinions or experiences are appreciated.
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Don't forget to mark your thread as [SOLVED] (Here's how)

Beans

Re: Need help with a version choice (10.10 vs 10.04). Any opinions appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by nzjethro View Post

1) Should I switch to 10.04 or stay with 10.10?
    The LTS factor? What do you think that is going to do for you, in terms of daily usability of your computer?

If you can do everything you need to do with 10.10, then I recommend you leave it alone, as it is.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dabl View Post
    The LTS factor? What do you think that is going to do for you, in terms of daily usability of your computer?
    The only thing it would do would be that I could continue using it day to day up until April 2013, an extra year over Maverick. I imagino that's what LTS refers to right? I'm still new to Ubuntu, but doesn't the lack of LTS for 10.10 mean that packages will stop working with 10.10 in April 2012? I'd prefer something a bit more long-term than that (only ~10 months away).
    "Ubuntu speaks of the very essence of being human. It is to say, 'My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in yours.'" - Rev. Dr. Desmond Tutu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can continue using 10.10 for as long as you want to use it. The EOL just means you will not get updates, the software will continue to work just fine on its own.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ezsit View Post
    You can continue using 10.10 for as long as you want to use it. The EOL just means you will not get updates, the software will continue to work just fine on its own.
    Cool, I was wondering about that. Wicked, so I'll still be able to install packages and stuff on 10.10 even when it is no longer "supported"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

10.10 is supported through April 2012. Then, the next LTS (long term support) edition will be released. Xubuntu 12.04 LTS (2012 April release) which will feature Xfce 4.8.

I am currently using Ubuntu 10.10 with the gnome 2 desktop. In April 2012, I will try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. If it does not meet my needs, I will switch to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Xfce 4.6 is good, and Xfce 4.8 continues a good desktop environment.

Too, LTS's are released every two years by Ubuntu, with three years of total support for desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ezsit View Post
    Though it is possible, I will certainly not recommend this. End of life means that no security bug fixes are released.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can use any distribution long after it has stopped receiving security and bug fixes, especially if it is running smoothly and is stable for you, the lack of fixes will not really affect you. However, installing software after the supported time period is more difficult as the repositories are renamed after EOL. Usually , you would need to rename the repositories in your sources list to point to archived repositories instead of current repositories in order to keep installing software. However, if after a year and a half you do not already have all the software you will need is unlikely. Spend the supported life time of the release experimenting and then just before EOL hits, finalize your software setup, remaster the installation with remastersys, and you will have a great image with which to reinstall should you ever need it. Remastersys can be found at www.remastersys.com.
    XFCE, From Now On!

Beans
    Distro

Wicked, thanks guys. Nice to know that even when Maverick runs out of support I'll still be able to "use" it. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Again, I am not pleased to see this advice given. You can use an obsolete release in the sense 'it runs', but not in the sense 'it is secure'.

There is a reason why people apply security fixes!

It is plain logic. Ubuntu has its flaws like all other operative systems, and if they do not get fixed, they will get exploited.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast