Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't install Ubuntu 11.04 from USB stick

Beans

Can't install Ubuntu 11.04 from USB stick

I am trying to clean install from a USB stick onto an Acer Aspire One ZG5. Here are the steps I have followed:
    - Downloaded ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
    - Downloaded Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.5.3.exe from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloa...-Installer.exe and run it
    - Selected 11.04 in USB Installer, pointed to ISO, left persistence at 0MB and run it on a freshly FAT32 formatted USB stick

When the Aspire One boots from the USB stick, it displays "SYSLINUX 4.04 EDD 2011-04-18 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al", followed by a flashing cursor on the next line.

1) I cannot type anything (read on some forums that typing "help" should work, but I cannot)
    2) MD5 check of ISO is correct
    3) I have also tried using unetbootin-win-549.exe to create the bootable stick, but the result is the same (although slightly older version of SYSLINUX)
    Last edited by gergc; June 10th, 2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Checked MD5 hash of ISO against Ubuntu hashes page

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Can't install Ubuntu 11.04 from USB stick

Welcome to the forums.

There are several reported bugs. I thought they had fixed them with the newer versions.

syslinux errors help/enter works:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/617779
    Delete ui in syslinux.cfg
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/608382
    in the directory from "isolinux.cfg" to "syslinux.cfg"
    Try replacing the file vesamenu.c32 on the USB disk drive with that one "/usr/lib/syslinux/vesamenu.c32" of Ubuntu Maverick system or use UNetbootin than works fine.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Welcome to the forums.

Also, make sure that the downloaded image is healthy as well

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Can't install Ubuntu 11.04 from USB stick

I had the exact same problem two days ago. My USB stick had been freshly formatted and my downloaded ISO MD5 sum matched. But mine would run up into the "Install Software" phase, then fail. After several attempts, I formatted the stick again, re-downloaded the ISO, and tried again. That time, the install ran to successful completion.

I can only surmise that, in spite of everything checking out, something was wrong with the image after it was copied to the stick.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!

When creating the USB drive in windows can you start the program with administrator privileges and create a USB drive.

Beans

Thanks everyone for the fast replies.

@oldfred:
    1) help/enter doesn't work because I can't type ANYTHING in.
    2) I don't get any error messages, it's not quite the same as bug #617779. I just a flashing prompt after the SYSLINUX line. I tried the change to syslinux.cfg anyway, but the result was the same.

Interesting to read those suggestions. After using universal USB creator, the contents of both the isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg are exactly the same except in syslinux the "ui gfxboot bootlogo" is commented out, but in isolinux.cfg it is uncommented. Anyway, I tried both.

@sikander3786 I wrote in the OP that I had already checked the MD5 hash

@ppv Not sure what you mean. I am an administrator on my windows box and don't have any trouble creating the bootable USB stick. It just doesn't work.

As I followed the instructions on the Ubuntu download page to the letter, I'm keen to try and figure out what might be causing this problem. I don't think there's anything special about the Acer as it is already running an older version of Ubuntu. All the network interfaces have stopped working, so I'm having to use the windows box to try and update the Acer.

Beans

I have just had the exact same experience trying to boot an Acer Aspire One GZ5 with a USB prepared on a windows desktop to the same procedure you used.

Have you made any progress ? Might it be worth trying an earlier version - I am just trying to replace Linpus that has now degraded to make the netbook unusable!

EDIT: I have just successfully booted my Windows desktop with the USB, so it looks like an Acer Aspire related issue ?

Thanks
    A
    Last edited by aggoyder; June 17th, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Beans

I was trying to make a bootable usb from Windows which was giving me the exact problem you were having. I then created the boot from Ubuntu 10.10 using Disk Utility and it worked!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Like others above, I used both unetbootin and usbcreator to create my USB drive. They completed successfully, but when trying to boot with the newly formatted/created drive, it would either give me one line of the SYSLINUX screen with a flashing cursor and no ability to type anything OR it would give me the BusyBox interface.

Using busybox, I tried doing
    Code:
    init= /dev/sdb1
    but it didn't work (and I honestly don't know if it wanted a specific vm-linuz or init-rd or whatever).

Anyway, the only solution that has worked for me is to format my USB drive using Disk Utility (in Ubuntu). Then go to Startup Disk Creator and use that to create my USB drive. That worked.

The source .iso file was on a shared disk between windows and ubuntu, so that wasn't the issue.

Beans

Is there no any option, to make this work? Actually I don't have access to PC with Ubuntu OS. I'm using Acer Aspire One netbook and have same problem (freeze after syslinux logo, with cursor). Tried 11.04 server, 10.10 server, also the newest stable debian. I've tested both tools - latest Unetbootin and latest Universal USB Installer on Windows 7 Home Premium - and both failed. Is it a syslinux issue on Acer netbooks ? Deleting ui from syslinux.cfg doesn't work for me.

//EDIT: Maybe different way. Is it possible to modify the usb stick with ubuntu iso to start installation immediately after boot without load syslinux ?
    Last edited by paweltbg94; July 6th, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast