Thread: Exim4 for relaying to internet

Beans

Exim4 for relaying to internet

Hi all, here we again trying to learn how to's:

Now, i must to install a new server to allow an internat application to send e-mail to external e-mail accounts

I've been reading a bit about sendmail, postfix and exim4, and i've started to exim4 configuration. So, step by step, I've followed instructions described in the link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Exim4.

While configuration, I've selected; 1-Internet site, 2-system mail: hostname.domain.int, 3-IP: 127.0.0.1, 4-Other destination: hostname.domain.int, hostname, localhost.localdomain, localhost, 5-Domain to relay: BLANK, 6-Machine to relay: BLANK, 7-DNS Queries: NO, 8-Delivery method: Maildir format, 9-Split:NO

After I've finished instructions I've tried to e-mail by telnet localhost 25
    Code:
    ehlo hostname
    250-hostname.domain.int Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
    250-SIZE 52428800
    250-PIPELINING
    250-STARTTLS
    250 HELP
    No user and password are requested, as I thought that it was going to happen.

The e-mail is sent succesfully to an external account, but i'd like user credentials to be necessary.

Could anyone has experience with exim4 to help me to know what's wrong?

Thanks in advance for your contributions

Regards,
    Andres

Beans

Re: Exim4 for relaying to internet

Hi all, nobody?

Regards
    Andres

Beans

Re: Exim4 for relaying to internet

Hello again.

I've been testing my configuration with swaks utility and it seems that authentication works anyway, because correct password for LocalUser is required and test e-mail is received into destination inbox
    Code:
    swaks -a -tls -f origin@domain.com -t destination@domain.com -s ip_exim_server -au LocalUser
    but I don't understand why trying through telnet allows to send e-mails without authentication

Has anyone a response for this?

Thank you for your time

Regards,
    Andres