Thread: Ubuntu Classic - Where Did My Places Go?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu Classic - Where Did My Places Go?

After trying and trying and trying to get to grips with the buggy Unity I finally gave up and returned to Ubuntu Classic. However after using it for 12 hours half my Places have disappeared from my drop-down menu.

The only explanation for the disappearance is that whilst doing something non-specific, Ubuntu crashed. Indeed Ubuntu appears to be crashing regularly, about once a day, since upgrading to Natty. It is completely random though.

Despite rebooting my Places menu is still missing things like Documents, Music, Video etc. Where are they, any ideas?
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu Classic - Where Did My Places Go?

Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    After trying and trying and trying to get to grips with the buggy Unity I finally gave up and returned to Ubuntu Classic. However after using it for 12 hours half my Places have disappeared from my drop-down menu.

The only explanation for the disappearance is that whilst doing something non-specific, Ubuntu crashed. Indeed Ubuntu appears to be crashing regularly, about once a day, since upgrading to Natty. It is completely random though.

Despite rebooting my Places menu is still missing things like Documents, Music, Video etc. Where are they, any ideas?
    I had to roll my system back to 10.10 as well. Printer issues and other reasons.. Here is a nice guide getting 10.10 installed on your system:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-d...erick-meerkat/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Nautilus seems to have lost them as bookmarks.

Try this. It may work.

Open Nautilus. Navigate into your Documents folder. Go to the bookmarks menu item and click "Add Bookmark" from the drop down menu.

Then check under the places menu to see if Documents is there. If it is add the other missing menu items as bookmarks .

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since doing that, Matt, a 'Bookmarks' option, along with a secondary menu containing the missing places has appeared. Meanwhile Nautilus had not lost the bookmarks, they still appear.

So, next question is how do I get those Bookmarks back into the primary drop down? And why are oddities happening like this in the first place? I never got randomised errors like this in Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    Since doing that, Matt, a 'Bookmarks' option, along with a secondary menu containing the missing places has appeared. Meanwhile Nautilus had not lost the bookmarks, they still appear.

So, next question is how do I get those Bookmarks back into the primary drop down? And why are oddities happening like this in the first place? I never got randomised errors like this in Windows.
    Is there any chance you can post some screen shots so i can see exactly what you can see.

Can you post a screen shot of the drop down menu and also of nautilus please.

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Right - lots of weirdness.

For a while the folders reappeared after a reboot. Then I opened up Rawtherapee and noticed that the favourites disappeared again. I am unsure if these two issues are related but Rawtherapee is not behaving correctly because it is not displaying RAW files in folders. I am currently uninstalling it.

The problem is, when I get this issue with both the menu and Rawtherapee, I cannot do a screen grab. Screenprint does not work whilst these errors occur.

Videocard/driver display issue, perhaps? I have a Compaq Presario CQ42.

Beans
    Distro

Hi

I have no experence with Rawtherapee and i am unsure what it is.

I would suggest running the usual tests such as fsck and checking the SMART status of your disc.

Run a memory test and check all the components on the board are correctly seated.

Hopefully some else will have experience with Rawtherapee. Do you get the issues when it is not running ?

Kind regards