Thread: Netflix not currently supporting Linux. Soon: Netflix Chrome plugin for Linux users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Netflix not currently supporting Linux. Soon: Netflix Chrome plugin for Linux users.

"Netflix does not currently offer support for Linux (as of 4/2011)."
    However...
    "Coming soon: Netflix Chrome plugin will bring on-demand video to Linux."

Googling netflix and linux currently brings up this first page -
    http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_...ly%29_in_Linux

The page goes on to describe how to stream vids in Netflix via virtual OS, which, also, may require playing video at lower bitrates, aka lower quality, aka not worth the trouble.

Hopefully that Chrome plugin (with Linux compatibility) will be released soon. It might be released very soon (if not already and I haven't seen it yet). That wikia page above may not be up-to-date.

Moonlight...
    http://superuser.com/questions/15075...-google-chrome

...might be the solution -
    http://go-mono.com/moonlight/download.aspx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Netflix not currently supporting Linux. Soon: Netflix Chrome plugin for Linux use

Th3Professor,

Thanks for that. I'd posted earlier about my problems here. Just hours earlier.

The strange thing is that just using Firefox and Ubuntu I could use Netflix right out of the box. Suddenly, today it no longer works. I did call Netflix tech support and was told that since Linux was open source it could be hacked. Her arguments were so emphatic that she must have been reading from a script that was written for her.

Again, thanks for the post.

Adler
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Web Site - A Work in OpenSource Progress. Where the Adler Roosts!
    Biotech Blog
    Facebook
    Twitter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Netflix not currently supporting Linux. Soon: Netflix Chrome plugin for Linux use

I noticed that Netflix is a fairly popular topic in here, so having a thread with the answer in the subject might help reduce the many-other-thread-creations.

Putting the subject more accurately, Netflix will most likely never support Linux.

The best bet for getting Netflix working on Linux is through something like that Chrome plugin, or perhaps the Firefox alternative.

Chances are, streaming their vids in *nix will always require some kind of 3rd party app (or, I suppose more technically, 4th (or 5th) party app).

Unfortunately, the current "best" solution for bypassing Netflix's streaming limitations is using a Windows OS, so if it's on the computer, it's faster to just reboot and boot into it, watch a bunch of Netflix vids, then boot back into *nix.

I have no idea if it works on Mac systems, though I'm assuming it does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi All,

Well, I canceled my Netflix account and according to them my queue should remain for a year. Well, that didn't happen. It is now gone. Boy, Netlflix really has a problem with Linux. There must be something big in the background. I have been scrubbed clean!

As an alternative I am now running Crackle. So what if I have to put up with a few commercials.

Adler
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Web Site - A Work in OpenSource Progress. Where the Adler Roosts!
    Biotech Blog
    Facebook
    Twitter