Thread: how to restore root.disk file ?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how to restore root.disk file ?

Hello i want to recover my data contained in root.disk. How can i do it ? I searched over net but didnt find any satisfactory solution. can anyone please help me out ?
    Thanks & Regards
    Ankur M Trapasiya

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: how to restore root.disk file ?

Data Recovery on Wubi... No idea.. You could try this:

http://cinderbox.net/2011/05/12/phot...file-recovery/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

@ankur.trapasiya, what is the situation with root.disk? Is it still there but you cannot boot into your Ubuntu Wubi? Or has it been erased somehow? Or something else? The answer will depend on which.

If the root.disk file is still there but you cannot boot into wubi/Ubuntu then it is possible to mount the file as though it were a partition using the Ubuntu live CD. With that you would then be able to access and copy your files - so long as the filesystem is not extensively damaged.

If you want to try that, post back and I can take you through the procedure. I will be offline for an hour or so, but I will check this thread later.

Do you have an Ubuntu live CD, and if so which version. Which version of Ubuntu were you running in your wubi installation?
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hello i am having only root.disk file and i have installed another ubuntu in my computer ... can i recover it from the existing installation or i have to use the live cd option only ? n how to check whether or not my root.disk is corrupted or not ?
    Thanks & Regards
    Ankur M Trapasiya

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I'm not sure I follow you completely. Let's see if I understand you. You have a root.disk file but it sounds as though you no longer have a Windows installation? Am I correct? Did you delete all of Windows but managed to preserve the root.disk file?

If you have a conventional Ubuntu installation on another partition of the hard drive and can boot into it, and you have access to your root.disk then, yes, the root.disk can be mounted from it to extract files from it and repaired if need be. You wouldn't need to use the live CD.

I think the best thing to tell us about your system is to run the boot script. It's designed for booting problems, but don't worry about that. It will hopefully give us all the information we need in order to know what to do to mount your root.disk.

Boot into Ubuntu and go to this site:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Download and run the boot script according to the instructions there and post the output of the RESULTS.txt file.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

+1 to coffeecat's suggestion to run the boot script. It will really help us to help you.

Thanks.