Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu-certified hardware is not accurate !

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu-certified hardware is not accurate !

Hey !

It's been a long time since i started to looking for a laptop to buy. When i heard about " Ubuntu-certified hardware " website i was very happy ! no more worry about the laptop computability with Ubuntu !

but apparently it not accurate at all !

for example .. i'm thinking about getting Lenovo thinkpad x220

so, they said in Ubuntu-certified hardware " The Lenovo X220 laptop has been awarded the status of Certified on Ubuntu PC (x86)."

but when i searched over the internet no one says it's worked with me with full functionality !

even with some fixes !

and this a little example of Unreliability of Ubuntu-certified hardware.

all what i want when i need to buy a new laptop , i don't struggle asking the users what parts work and what's not !

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu-certified hardware is not accurate !

if you want accuracy you should try the manufacture and not third party sites. i believe you have redhat support with lenovo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    if you want accuracy you should try the manufacture and not third party sites. i believe you have redhat support with lenovo
    Even manufacture not accurate !

here in this document

http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/ww..._datasheet.pdf

lenovo says"The ThinkPad X220 has Linux®
    Certifications for Redhat®
    , Novell®
    & Unbuntu "

and this is not correct !

i couldn't find anyone got his x220 working with fully functional !

Beans
    Hidden!

then i guess your stuck with windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    then i guess your stuck with windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it would help if you read the list not just glance through it:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...re/201102-7303

it says Ubuntu 10.10 (preinstalled only).

It also says this:
    1. The system is available in some regions with a special image of Ubuntu pre-installed by the manufacturer. It takes advantage of the hardware features for this system and may include additional software. You should check when buying the system whether this is an option.
    2. Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all on the system or may not work well, though Canonical and computer manufacturers will try to certify the system with future standard releases of Ubuntu.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

First of all, the X220 works well with Ubuntu. I bought one last week and for the most part the laptop is well supported and IMO the current issues are either minor (probably wouldn't cause the laptop to fail certification) or will likely be fixed soon. I'm documenting my experience on the wiki.

I believe that the "special image of Ubuntu" referenced on the certification page must be a business only deal. I've contacted Lenovo about it and been told that it's not available.

That said, I saw a number of bugs fixed by Canonical employees before the laptop was even released so I believe that us consumers are benefiting from the fact that it's certified.

Finally, I would not recommend installing 10.10 on this machine unless you have a particular reason to. Since it's using brand new hardware (Sandy Bridge) it really needs the latest kernel to work well. I don't have most of the issues mentioned on this ThinkWiki page for example.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    it would help if you read the list not just glance through it:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...re/201102-7303

it says Ubuntu 10.10 (preinstalled only).

It also says this:
    1. The system is available in some regions with a special image of Ubuntu pre-installed by the manufacturer. It takes advantage of the hardware features for this system and may include additional software. You should check when buying the system whether this is an option.
    2. Standard images of Ubuntu may not work at all on the system or may not work well, though Canonical and computer manufacturers will try to certify the system with future standard releases of Ubuntu.
    as williumbillium said

he contacted Lenovo employee and and they it's not available

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by williumbillium View Post
    First of all, the X220 works well with Ubuntu. I bought one last week and for the most part the laptop is well supported and IMO the current issues are either minor (probably wouldn't cause the laptop to fail certification) or will likely be fixed soon. I'm documenting my experience on the wiki.

I believe that the "special image of Ubuntu" referenced on the certification page must be a business only deal. I've contacted Lenovo about it and been told that it's not available.

That said, I saw a number of bugs fixed by Canonical employees before the laptop was even released so I believe that us consumers are benefiting from the fact that it's certified.

Finally, I would not recommend installing 10.10 on this machine unless you have a particular reason to. Since it's using brand new hardware (Sandy Bridge) it really needs the latest kernel to work well. I don't have most of the issues mentioned on this ThinkWiki page for example.
    Because i read many threads about the fan is not working and here
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...x-x220-13.html
    reported they don't have a full functionality with x220

and i really appreciate your efforts for documenting your experience.

so should i go for x220 and not worry about the compatibility ?

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by da7oom View Post
    Because i read many threads about the fan is not working and here
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/leno...x-x220-13.html
    reported they don't have a full functionality with x220
    It seems for the most part people are complaining about the fan running too loud, not necessarily that it's not supported (correct me if I'm wrong). From what I've read these reports are coming from Linux and Windows users. A lot of it is really personal imo. The fan noise is louder than my MacBook Pro but my X220 is also much cooler to the touch. It's just a difference in the default settings; the MacBook is setup to be quiet at the cost of heat and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by da7oom View Post
    so should i go for x220 and not worry about the compatibility ?
    I can't make that decision for you But with any laptop there's always a risk of something not working, you just have to do your best to make an educated decision. My last laptop was sold by linux specific vendor and was certified by Ubuntu. However, when the next Ubuntu release came out after I bought it, suspend stopped working and was never resolved. This time I've decided to go with a brand that has good support from the community, rather than the company itself. We'll see how it goes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast