Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need to know how to think

Beans

Re: need to know how to think

Hello.

The 'restricted extras' packages give you a variety of tools to allow you to access things in restricted formats. As ubuntu is open source it would not be legal in some countries to bundle in the necesarry stuff to allow you to open mp3's or some other media formats as the code is under restrictive licence - hence you need to install a package to give you these things.

As for some of the other bits you raised:
    Ubuntu and linux in general is different to windows and so things a re arranged differently and often called different things. You wont have a C drive because the way drives are mounted is different - but you can access your 'home' folder and all your other locations using the tools provided (nautilus is the equivalent to windows explorer for example).
    The command line can be accessed from Applications > Accessories > Terminal (i think thats right - not at my ubuntu PC at the moment) and you can enter all of your commands from here. Obviously the commands will be different to anything you used on windows as the OS is very different. For the most part a basic user can avoid the Terminal and do most things from the GUI.

I suppose the best answer to your questions is to say that you will only get the hang of the new OS layout and how to go about things by exploring and trying things out. Try going through the task bar and use the different programs and utilities and see what they do. Once you get past the initial confusion of not knowing what things are called and where they are found I think you'll find that, on the face of it, the way you do everyday tasks is not that different from windows - just more stable and more readily configurable to your own needs.

Good Luck

Beans

Im sorry people, I am really new, to new to even ask newbe questions... I need to take the advise above and just put in the time and figure this out.... i really dont know even how to ask a question.... I was looking for something like all admin and application control is in the bla bla, command prompt is located ..... I am just lost i know what i want to do but am lost in un know to me icons. I want config sys and autoecec.bat edlin i can understant this i hate hunting through unknown icons that usually keep the user from doing exactly what they want. I know dos /windows from beginning ever herd of cpm or mmmost they were os too.... but comand line function, easy to0 look up commands you had a list of commands, unix u can link them its teasy no gui.... Ill be back later when i can phrase a question....

Beans

SORRY and THANK YOU ALL..... i hate users ID10T error

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msuser View Post
    i am a windowws guy 25 years... first time ubuntu user just checking out seamed to install fine
    i tried to download flash.. insted of downloading its asking me for an application? I dont understand what im to do... what should i know already? what application ftp? i see no offered list ? how much bitch is thius to completely install i dont have time im 55. every time i want to do something will it ask me to know something i dont know? i just wanted to download a file from adobe their link what dont i understand about this ubuntu

Install the firefox addon FLASHAID

It will choose the correct flash for your system. 64 or 32

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It takes a while to get used to Ubuntu, you should take things easy and learn as you go along.
    You might want to take a look at a manual first, like this one: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    It is the manual for the old version of Ubuntu, so the user interface explained in the manual is different. However, you might want to read the chapters about installing software, and them you'll be able to formulate the questions better.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you want a command line, just press Ctrl-Alt-T

I think that's what you are asking for ???????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi msuser!
    Please try to find the time to read the Ubuntu guide, it helped me a lot when I was in your shoes..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

msuser: You might find the following link helpful...

Linux is Not Windows

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12