Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ?? probably really easy easypeasy problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ?? probably really easy easypeasy problem

Quote Originally Posted by RabidGoat View Post
    thanks, that does help. I was getting somewhat tired of easypeasy with it not actually having a desktop but it was manageable. I assumed it was a ubuntu product as the name is everywhere inside. But if I were to go with one of those, how large should I make my swap space? I heard it should be 2x size of ram. also, will there be enough space in the root directory for additional programs? Or can I install them to the home/other partitions if it gets close to full? Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I really just want a quick lightweight platform that has a good foundation / support base. Maybe once I'm more familiar I will try dsl or something but I'm very noobish with the penguin right now.
    Size of your swap really depends on how you use your computer these days. Most modern computers have gigs of ram, usually 2 or more. I find that a swap equal to my ram or 1 1/2 time so if I have 2 gig of ram my swap is 3 gig. Again it's mainly a personal choice. One thing I did notice is you're running a 20 gig linux system. I would recommend that you that you use / partition only and not have a separate home folder, this will give you a little more playing around room, between your root and home folders.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RabidGoat View Post
    thanks, that does help. I was getting somewhat tired of easypeasy with it not actually having a desktop but it was manageable. I assumed it was a ubuntu product as the name is everywhere inside. But if I were to go with one of those, how large should I make my swap space? I heard it should be 2x size of ram. also, will there be enough space in the root directory for additional programs? Or can I install them to the home/other partitions if it gets close to full? Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I really just want a quick lightweight platform that has a good foundation / support base. Maybe once I'm more familiar I will try dsl or something but I'm very noobish with the penguin right now.
    I recommend:

4gb / (root) partition on the fast drive
    data partition on the slow drive
    no swap
    no separate /home partition

You are correct that 4gb is not very much space; you'll need to start with a lightweight install (such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu, or even a minimal install) and be very careful what you add.

Did you check out the 901-specific subforum at eeeuser.com (link above)?

ps DSL is a dead distro and will not have good support for your EEE.

Beans

Thanks for the info. Will do about the swap space. Any idea how large the installation is for either of those releases? I am downloading lubuntu now with unetbootin to make a usblivedrive but I can't seem to run the unetbootin executable file... Maybe I should just quit computering altogether lol. But I guess I can always use my dads super slow XP machine. And thanks for the warm and informative welcome. All hurdles aside I still feel linux is more rewarding than windows. I just have a literal metric ton of questions. But I will follow the #1 rule of message boards and search first.

Anyways thanks guise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12