Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? probably really easy easypeasy problem

Beans

?? probably really easy easypeasy problem

I'm running easypeasy updated fully on a asus eee pc 901 intel w/ intel atom processor. just upped the ram from 1 gig to 2 gigs but everything drags somewhat most of the time while the system monitor says both cores (if it even has two) are at or near 100%. thats not a huge issue as this is a netbook and i'm not expecting a mini deep blue here. but the main reason i'm posting is because i believe i messed up my partition. I keep getting this error message when running computer janitor.

Failed to run computer-janitor-gtk as user root.

Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file.

I read up that this could be because of an error i made while partioning my drive. I left 4 gigs for the root directory, 12 for my home folder, and 4 for my swap thinking it would be enough but it filled up quickly with updates and a few programs. when I downloaded my last program (amarok) i had multiple warnings for low disk space, but it never completely filled up. i was trying to delete files but i didn't know which were system critical and I didn't want to break my ubuntu even more. anyways when I tried to run Gparted I got the same message about the xauthorization file again. I really don't want to re install and reformat again as this will be my third time... so any advice you unix wizards can bestow on a noob?

thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: ?? probably really easy easypeasy problem

Quote Originally Posted by RabidGoat View Post
    I'm running easypeasy updated fully on a asus eee pc 901 intel w/ intel atom processor. just upped the ram from 1 gig to 2 gigs but everything drags somewhat most of the time while the system monitor says both cores (if it even has two) are at or near 100%. thats not a huge issue as this is a netbook and i'm not expecting a mini deep blue here. but the main reason i'm posting is because i believe i messed up my partition. I keep getting this error message when running computer janitor.

Failed to run computer-janitor-gtk as user root.

Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file.

I read up that this could be because of an error i made while partioning my drive. I left 4 gigs for the root directory, 12 for my home folder, and 4 for my swap thinking it would be enough but it filled up quickly with updates and a few programs. when I downloaded my last program (amarok) i had multiple warnings for low disk space, but it never completely filled up. i was trying to delete files but i didn't know which were system critical and I didn't want to break my ubuntu even more. anyways when I tried to run Gparted I got the same message about the xauthorization file again. I really don't want to re install and reformat again as this will be my third time... so any advice you unix wizards can bestow on a noob?

thanks in advance.
    Hi, I have 40 gigs for my root partition because a few years ago I went with what was recommend like 4 I think and I had to reinstall ubuntu to give all my partitions more space. You need 2 for swap but the other partitions are very small your home partition is where most things are stored you need it to be large if you plan on putting music,movies or installing very many programs. Aslo I would not use computer janitor, I have used it before and it will tell you things are not needed but sometimes they are, and that caused me a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

How full are your partitions? Emptying your trash should free up some space in /home, to free some up in your root your can do the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get clean
    This will get rid of any unneeded packages and then dump the package manager's cache. Should free up a little bit of space quickly. After that the thing to do would be uninstall old kernels. You can do this in Synaptic, filter for installed packaged starting with "linux-image" and completely uninstall all except the latest one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    ... filter for installed packaged starting with "linux-image" and completely uninstall all except the latest one.
    And linux-headers.

Beans

Thanks for the info but now I'm faced with another problem. After I shut down last night and tried to start up this morning, I am unable to log in. I get an error saying that gnome power manger configuration defaults installed incorrectly and I am frozen at the log in screen. I can't even see my mouse right now... This happened before and I just reinstalled to solve it but like I said earlier I really don't want to do that again. If I use my live disk to backup my files I can't access my drive. I was always a linux advocate with limited knowledge but this is killing my faith here. Is there a safe mode option to fix this?

Edit* tried rebooting and not frozen anymore, but I get the same error when trying all options such as failsafe gnome and the like.
    Last edited by RabidGoat; June 7th, 2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: corrections/semi update

Beans

To answer about my drives. I have a 20 gig (4 and a 16 seperately) ssd. My 4 gig has 0 bytes free and the 12 has about 8. Don't know what to delete from the root to make room and I can't run those options as I am on a live disk and I don't think it will allow me to access my original install. I can backup my files now, but once I do I'm not sure how to partition my drive to avoid this again as my ssd is tiny in the first place. Should I just give the larger ssd 10 or so gigs and work with a fragmented filesystem after that and rely on an external + thumbdrives?

Beans

To answer about my drives. I have a 20 gig (4 and a 16 seperately) ssd. My 4 gig has 0 bytes free and the 12 has about 8. Don't know what to delete from the root to make room and I can't run those options as I am on a live disk and I don't think it will allow me to access my original install. I can backup my files now, but once I do I'm not sure how to partition my drive to avoid this again as my ssd is tiny in the first place. Should I just give the larger ssd 10 or so gigs and work with a fragmented filesystem after that and rely on an external + thumbdrives?

Also the root is ext3 and home is ext4, no idea what that means functionally, or if it even helps.

Beans

I highly recommend opening the System Monitor and figuring out what is using up all your CPU cycles. Without this information it is difficult/impossible for us to help you troubleshoot. And of course, if your root / partition is full (it appears to be) you'll have all kinds of problems.

You can get support for Easy Peasy here:

http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

Here is a good forums specific to the EEE 901:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=53

My understanding of the 901 (never used it personally) is that the 4gb SSD is fast and the 16gb is very slow. Therefore for best performance you should install completely to the 4gb and use the 16gb only for storage of personal files and documents.

Personally I would recommend a fresh reinstall of the current Xubuntu or Lubuntu release; these are two lightweight (under 4gb) versions of Ubuntu that are popular and well supported here. I have never used EasyPeasy, it is not supported on ubuntuforums.org, and it looks like their last release was over a year ago.

Beans

thanks, that does help. I was getting somewhat tired of easypeasy with it not actually having a desktop but it was manageable. I assumed it was a ubuntu product as the name is everywhere inside. But if I were to go with one of those, how large should I make my swap space? I heard it should be 2x size of ram. also, will there be enough space in the root directory for additional programs? Or can I install them to the home/other partitions if it gets close to full? Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I really just want a quick lightweight platform that has a good foundation / support base. Maybe once I'm more familiar I will try dsl or something but I'm very noobish with the penguin right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

With 2 GB of RAM, I would make the swap partition about 2.1 GB if I intended to use Suspend or Hibernate. I have 3 GB of RAM on this machine and gave it a 4-GB swap partition, which has never been used at all. If you don't plan to suspend or hibernate, 1 GB ought to be plenty -- and probably, like mine, will never be used.

I would put it on the larger SSD, too, to leave as much space as possible for installation and updates to system programs on the smaller one.

Welcome aboard!
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast