Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

Kind thanks and good luck to verymadpip. I do not know what a "boot script" is though. Formatseize, I just want to access my PC again, you are correct about being unclear and my apologies. I'm sorry if I'm a bit angry or something. I thing it might be an unlucky thing going on here. I'm pretty sure the issue is software based since the box is well maintained and fairly recent.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxhadowespio View Post
    ... I was greeted with the message "unknown filesystem, grub rescue> _"
    So did you try the instructions Oldfred gave you or not?

At the 'rescue>' type 'ls' to get a list of the partitions that Grub can detect. Idebtify the one which contains /boot. Then do the following:
    Code:
    set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub  # Example: (hd0,1) , (hd1,5)
    set root=(hdX,Y)
    insmod linux
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sdXY ro  # Example: root=/dev/sda1 , /dev/sdb5
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot
    If you cannot boot Ubuntu this way then you cannot boot Ubuntu.
    Last edited by YesWeCan; June 9th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Unknown Filesystem error, as always.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxhadowespio View Post
    . I do not know what a "boot script" is though.
    Boot info script and instructions on using it are here: http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I think it might help if we could see the output of your commands, probably for each step in the process.

I guess the first thing is to see if we can find where /Boot is, if it is anywhere to be found of course. So if you could type ls (small L, small S) at the rescue>_ prompt & paste the output here we may be able to move forward.

I'm shooting in the dark with interpreting the output (unless it is dazzlingly clear). I am certain that another forum member will be able to though.

Did I read correctly when you wrote you had put a different OS on the drive? Let's not go into that now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

(sigh!) It is impossible to boot from an USB (Boot Error)! I have NO BLANK DISK! When I preform the "ls" command, I get the Unknown Filesystem error! I recovered a lost partition that once used Windows. You could say the I simply installed another OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've reached the limit of my knowledge.
    Sorry I can't help.

Good luck bud.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

One more time, I cannot boot into Ubuntu. I run into "error: unknown filesystem. grub rescue>_" Now, when I type "ls" I get the following: (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos1). Now I tried for all three "ls (hd0)/boot" but the error comes back. I do not recall any other codes. Possible recovery methods now: 1. USB Drive, 2. CD Drive, 3. Floppy, 4. Some extremely complicated network boot theory which will never work, 5. Send the PC to a professional. Response: 1. No matter what I do, Unetbootin, Startup Disk Creator, Super GRUB Disk, Rescatux, Ubuntu Live USB, whatever. I get the same message: "Boot Error." 2. No black CD, 3. No Floppy or Floppy Port, 4. No other computer, why bother, 5. This will be expensive, my father will be angry with me and I will have to go back to using Windows Vista. And you know how much that sucked. My father is Anti-Linux. Besides, even if we do keep Linux somehow, they probably wouldn't be able to repair it. I live in a small town where most people don't even know what an OS is!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you properly created a bootable USB flash drive or a bootable CD then you must not be selecting the USB drive as the bootable device, assuming USBs are bootable. Otherwise you have to then use a CD.

On my system I have many choices in BIOS to choose USB bootable devices and none of them work with a flash drive. I also was lost for a while but left it in and one day was changing which drive to boot from with my one time boot key (f12 on my system) and I did not just see my hard drives but also my flash drive. It has to be plugged in, has to be bootable and you have to select it in BIOS or one time boot key.

If you keep getting the same error you must still be trying to boot from hard drive.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Oh yeah, did that alright! And thanks for not giving up on me

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast