Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

Hello, me again. I'm typing from a small netbook I use. I need help with GRUB. This is the first time I've ever had a serious problem with my PC ever since I got Linux. And I must say, I love it. But what I was trying to do was recover lost data from my HDD using Testdisk. As some of you can imagine, I recovered the lost partition and restarted. That was the first time I was greeted with the message "unknown filesystem, grub rescue> _" So I finally got a Live USB and booted from that but then it gave me "Boot Error." Now, I checked everything and even got a different OS on there but still no marshmallow. Then I tried Rescatux and Super GRUB Disk but still the same damn message. I think this "Boot Error" might be a long term error because when the PC did work fine, if I restarted with the USB in the port (I carry Ubuntu Netbook along with other stuff in there) it would give me the message. I heard somewhere that you have to change the USB Emulation to .zip or something but my BIOS does not support it. I do not have an blank disk around and I won't be getting one too soon so please help!.
    Last edited by Neoxhadowespio; June 7th, 2011 at 09:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

(bump!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If for whatever reason you cannot get a liveUSB to boot, then you only can try manual booting from rescue prompt.

Grub Rescue Prompt Megathread - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594052
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, I figure I have a partition table or disk error, thanks to the guide. But that is obvious, did I not mention before?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Then you are going to need a bootable liveUSB or CD to be able to make any repairs.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have no blank disk. I only have USBees.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have you not actually read my post? Someone else, please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Try making the bootable USB on another machine, if you can get to one.
    Check the integrity of the download (MD5sum)
    Have a look at this for GRUB rescue:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=grub+device
    (have to be running Live CD or USB)

I don't know anything about recovered data & such like.
    I also don't know anything about .zip USB emulation & BIOS stuff that you're talking about.

If you think it's along term issue it my have to do with the integrity of what's on your USB, or even a hardware problem perhaps?

Boot info script would be useful, it would allow more people to try & help you. Of course you need to be able to boot something to get that info.
    Unfortunately that kind of stuff is mostly gibberish to me as I'm a Newb myself .

Do keep us posted on your progress. Relax a little. It will come good with help from these forums.

Sorry I can't be more help to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxhadowespio View Post
    Have you not actually read my post? Someone else, please help!
    Your post, by and large, is a rant, and it's quite difficult to discern whether you are trying to get past the "grub rescue" prompt when you boot from your hard drive, or whether you are trying to figure out how to fix the "boot error" that you get when you boot from the Live USB.

The information has been provided for you to boot manually from the grub rescue prompt. If you do not want to boot manually from the grub rescue prompt, then you don't want to fix your problem(s). Additionally, information has been provided for you to make repairs using a Live USB. If you do not want to boot from a Live USB and fix your problem, then there's nothing we can type to fix your problem(s).

Lastly, if you can not boot into a Live USB environment, that's due to one of the following:
    1. You do not want to boot into a Live USB environment
    2. The boot stick has errors, and you need to create another one
    3. The boot stick itself is faulty, and you need to either try another, or acquire another
    4. You have hardware issues making it impossible to do anything meaningful with your software (this happened to me about a month and a half ago. First, my computer wouldn't boot, then it wouldn't boot from a Live CD. Soon enough, it stopped booting from USB, and it was time to replace it).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast