Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

(bump!)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You did say that you were sure it wasn't a hardware problem, or I would suggest that.
    The only other thing I could suggest (also being a noob) is to use a windows boot disk/cd. If you don't have one maybe a friend could make one for you from their computer. Since you did a recovery of a windows system you *may* be able to do a repair of it. Then you could search for a program (can't remember the name) that allows windows to access linux partitions. If you can get that far then you would have some clue as to what you may need to do to get back to linux! (can't blame you for preferring it, I do to!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I will consider that when all hope is lost. (No offense intended!)
    Also, I would like to add that I had installed Rescatux on the USB Drive and (from another PC, of course) I was able to boot it just fine. And one more thing, it was minor so I did not say before but when I use "Startup Disk Creator", I get the message "An uncaught exception was raised: Invalid version string 'GNU/Linux'." Does this mean anything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is it possible for you to make an Ubuntu bootable USB with Unetbootin (rather than startup disk creator) on this other PC my friend? Have you tried to do that?
    This is so you can run a live session (or reinstall if necessary).

Of course you will then have to do as oldfred has already said: make sure you have your BIOS settings correct to boot from the USB. (hard disk boot priority I would imagine).
    Last edited by verymadpip; June 12th, 2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you can boot into your system with Rescatux then reinstall grub2's boot loader to the MBR and see if then it works.

#reinstall from working (not liveCD) system - first find Ubuntu drive:
    sudo fdisk -l
    #if it's "/dev/sda" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, I have made my live flash drive using UNetBootin and I tried putting Rescatux using that as well.
    Still, nothing! Yet I will try again...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Getting.very.angry.no.matter.what.it.wont.do.anyth ing.else.other.than.give.me.damned.errors!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you can boot Ubuntu or any Linux system with either a USB flash drive or with Rescatux into your drive then download and run this script. We can then see exactly what is installed where:

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    Page with instructions and download:
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
    Paste results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
    Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
    V60 has improved formating and requires code tags to make it legible. New Version is a zip file that you have to extract to get .sh to run.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Post Re: GRUB Being a @$*&%! Please Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxhadowespio View Post
    Then I tried Rescatux and Super GRUB Disk but still the same damn message. I think this "Boot Error" might be a long term error because when the PC did work fine, if I restarted with the USB in the port (I carry Ubuntu Netbook along with other stuff in there) it would give me the message. I heard somewhere that you have to change the USB Emulation to .zip or something but my BIOS does not support it. I do not have an blank disk around and I won't be getting one too soon so please help!.
    I have read entire post (28 posts) and I have some ideas:

1) Boot error might be caused because usb boot device is not the first one. You have said that your usb device boots in a friend's computer. And you have said that your usb device was the first to boot in your boot order. And you have already tried to use F12 or equivalent key. We are going to discard this option.

2) Your pc cannot boot from a usb device. In order to test this you will need to build a usb device that does not depend on emulation like sometimes unetbootin does. I mean... Either dding rescatux iso directly to the usb hard disk device (Be aware of that), or probably building a persistent usb device.

3) Your pc can boot from a usb device but does not support emulation. I am talking about floppy emulation. From memdisk (syslinux) wiki:
    MEMDISK simulates a disk by claiming a chunk of high memory for the disk and a (very small - 2K typical) chunk of low (DOS) memory for the driver itself, then hooking the INT 13h (disk driver) and INT 15h (memory query) BIOS interrupts.
    So that means that your BIOS is lacking these interrupts.

You might confirm it if in the past you have booted System Rescue Cd from your system and tried to boot super grub disk or another tool from boot command line and it has failed before ever seeing the tool itself.

4) You do not have an active partition in your hard disk. It sounds stupid, isn't it? I have found some strange BIOSes that refuse to boot if there is not an active partition in your hard disk. It does not matter the boot order, it does not matter if usb boot is enabled or not. It just does not boot anything till it finds an active partition.

The only doubt about this scenario is that I do not remember it was associated exactly with:
    Code:
    Boot error:
    The solution for this one would be to extract the hard disk, put it in another machine and activate a partition, probably the first partition.

You can use Super Grub Disk. Boot & Tools. Activate partition for this task.

5) Wrong USB hardware choosen. It might be that BIOS handles rear-usb but not front-usb and you are putting your usb device on front-usb?

I mean... Have you tried to boot from usb using all the female usb devices available on your computer?

-----------
    That's it!

Do you remember anything about 3) (Emulation not working)?
    Have you tried all the female usb devices? (5)
    Try (4).
    Now read 1 and 2 just in case.

Hope to hear good piece of news from you. It something of this does work I will consider adding it to Rescatux.

adrian15

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you can boot Ubuntu or any Linux system with either a USB flash drive or with Rescatux into your drive then download and run this script. We can then see exactly what is installed where:

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
    Page with instructions and download:
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
    Paste results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
    Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
    V60 has improved formating and requires code tags to make it legible. New Version is a zip file that you have to extract to get .sh to run.
    Absolutely nothing works from the USB.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast