Thread: Wake on LAN Questionn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wake on LAN Questionn

So I am running 11.04 and am trying to set up WoL and I have gotten it to work, but only if I mmanually click "suspend" on the top right icon on the toolbar. Ideally I would also like to wake on LAN if the computer automatically suspends itself after an hour (power settings). Currently it will not wake if it automatically suspends. What is the difference between manual and automatic suspend? What should I do to get WoL to work all the time?
    Angry Mallard

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Wake on LAN Questionn

it needs to be enabled in bios and ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1684050
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It is. Like I said, WoL WORKS when I physically click on "Stand By" and then send a magic packet to the computer, but it does NOT work if I set the computer to go to Stand By after an hour of inactivity and then send the same packet. What's the difference?
    Angry Mallard

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AngryMallard View Post
    It is. Like I said, WoL WORKS when I physically click on "Stand By" and then send a magic packet to the computer, but it does NOT work if I set the computer to go to Stand By after an hour of inactivity and then send the same packet. What's the difference?
    its most likely your router/switch clearing the ARP cache entries after a short amount of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sudo apt-get install acpitool
    man acpitool
    acpitool -w

Make sure that the bus device that controls the network card (probably one of the pci ports) remains enabled (powered) during suspend. It's possible that depending on how you suspend, it stays awake with one method and goes to sleep with the other.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.